Hi, I'm new here and I've needed help for over a month now. So, I bought a BC guitar + amp (10w) + extra strings + pick for $100. (Yeah pretty cheap) And I've been looking to upgrade my sound.  (On a $100 budget here) I need a better "80's thrash metal" style but I have no idea what can improve my sound, the amp itself or a new guitar? I've replaced the factory rusted strings with Ernie Ball but there's hardly any difference. Any ideas on what to get for $100?
(Invalid img)
The amp is always going to be the powerhouse of your tone so to speak. All the little extras (pickups, wood, strings, the player etc) are just the cherry on top. Sure, every little detail can matter, but without a good amp you're not going to be achieving any significant milestones for your tone.
$100 for an amp is a very tight budget. I'm just going to assume this is USD. You're definitely going to be wanting to search the used market, but i'd consider trying to stretch that budget as much as you can.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 4, 2017,
Daftpunk5963

I wouldn't buy it, or any amp under $100 for that matter. Is there a particular reason you budget is so tight? Even an extra $100 will go miles. If you can hold off a couple weeks / months and save a bit more you'll be glad you did.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 5, 2017,
vayne92 Mostly because I'm 15 and I have no source of income for myself. I've saved up just enough for the cheap guitar. But thanks anyways, I'll keep looking for a decent one
Quote by Daftpunk5963
vayne92 Mostly because I'm 15 and I have no source of income for myself. I've saved up just enough for the cheap guitar. But thanks anyways, I'll keep looking for a decent one

That's fair enough then. Personally I'd try and hold off and save another $100 or so. For $200 used you can come across some real great bargains.
Also i could be wrong here but you might be under the misconception that a lower wattage amp is worse than a higher wattage amp. Not true. In fact, as a beginner I imagine you're just playing around in your room and most likely will be for the next couple years. For that reason you'll do best to stay away from a high wattage amp. No sense having 100watts in a bedroom when you can't ever turn the volume past 1. I also wouldn't go cheap if I was buying a loud amp.

I've owned a few cheap amps over the years and I'm a big fan of the Yamaha THR10X for the bedroom guitarist heavy metal sort of thing. This is all personal opinion but I used to own one (sold it recently) and I've got a soft spot for that particular amp. Here's one of the MANY demo videos:

EDIT: No idea what these go for used in the US, but I'm positive that it wouldn't be uncommon at $200. You might get lucky as f#ck and swipe one for $100, but I wouldn't imagine so.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 5, 2017,
If you're not playing with drums and just need a practice amp for home, I would suggest a small modeling combo. The smallest Peavey Vypyr can be had for around $100 and will do thrash very well.

Here's a good rule of thumb for you, anything with the name Pyle on it is going to be just that. A pile of... well, you know what I'm getting at.
Quote by Daftpunk5963
Hi, I'm new here and I've needed help for over a month now. So, I bought a BC guitar + amp (10w) + extra strings + pick for $100. (Yeah pretty cheap) And I've been looking to upgrade my sound.

Keep practicing, keep changing those strings. On a budget as limited as yours, that'll go further toward making your sound better in the longer run.
I just spent the last 2hrs messing with my first amp. Peavey transtube 110 efx. Not stellar but pretty versatile and can cover blues to metal easily enough. 40 watts so its more then loud enough and the efx will keep you busy without needing anything else.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD