Page 1 of 3
Yes, I wasn't playing guitar for a while. Apparently, this industry thinks that consumers are happy to pay $200 per pedal (some at $130 or $150) while we know that they are marking this stuff up 150% or more.   yes, I can agree that the pedals available right now are better than the Boss pedals of the early 90s, but they are NOT $110 better just by filtering, noise reduction and appearance alone.

Aside from buying Mooer and Joyo (or similar) while avoiding Boss, what are the good choices for a metal overdrive pedal without getting f'd over on price? 

Not sure there's an answer on this other than some ebay deal. 

Nice example: Precision Drive pedal from Horizon Devices. Has M. Mansour's name attached to it and adds a noise gate, sells for $220. Nice pedal, but at that price, I am still looking at the Green Rhino.Even the 805 by Seymour Duncan that sells for ~$160 or more is a rip off regardless of how good it is.
Last edited by todtong at Aug 5, 2017,
Boss is hardly expensive so not sure what you are going on about. Yes things are more expensive than 20 or more years ago. That's life.
Filtering and noise reduction are important to a lot of people, that's why they're willing to pay more for it. Supply and demand. Inflation is causing the prices of luxury goods to be jacked up too. What are you gonna do about it.

Seriously the pedal industry is in a golden age with the number of options available. If you're too poor to afford a good metal overdrive with various EQ options like the 805 or the Green Rhino then buy a Joyo TS clone and make do with it until you can upgrade. You can't complain that you don't have a choice.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The Precision Drive pedal is a pretty good deal, IMO. Compare that to $100-$120 for a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator and $130 for a Green Rhino for a total of $230-$250.

The noise gate is surprisingly good on it to the point where I don't feel the need for another one, and the boost is excellent and much quieter than any TS clone I've used.

But overall, honestly we have waaaay more choice at any price range than we ever did 10-15 years ago. You can get what ever kind of pedal you want for $30-$50 all the way up to freaking $300+. You know why? Because the market will bear them.

More choice is always a good thing, IMO.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 5, 2017,
Sounds like you've done a poor job of researching. Ignore the prices that offend you and spend more time poking around forums, youtube, reddit, browse through Reverb, etc. and you'll find a bottomless well of awesome pedals under $100. 

As mentioned above, the market now is so much better than the 90s, with so many more options across the board, that there's no sense getting mad about the stuff that's priced out of your range. This is as good as it's ever been for pedals, cheap or expensive, so take those nostalgic glasses off and start searching because you will find a whole bunch of great stuff that you had no idea existed. 

Hell, adjusted for inflation, pedal prices have come down, by a lot. Here's a price list from 1992. Multiply by 1.7 to get a rough idea of how much these would be in 2017 dollars. This is from a Guitar Player shootout, too (October 1992 Distortion issue) ; notice how boring this list is! That $90 DS-1 would be one of those $150 pedals you're complaining about, except that now it costs $50, brand new. The Turbo Rat would be $225 in 2017 dollars, but you can get a clone of any Rat you want on Reverb for $75 all day, every day. The idea that the market has gone to hell since the early 90s is just obviously wrong. Things are so much better now it's funny. 

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive $89.50
Boss Turbo Overdrive OD-2 $109.50
Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 $99.50
Boss Metal Zone MT-2 $119.50
Boss Distortion DS-1 $89.50
Boss Turbo Distortion $120.00
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 $109.50
Pro Co Vintage Rat $106.25
Pro Co Rat II $118.76
Pro Co Turbo Rat $133.75
Marshall BluesBreaker $130.00
Marshall DriveMaster $130.00
Marshall Shredmaster $130.00
DOD Classic Tube FX53 $64.95
DOD Overdrive Plus FX50B $59.95
DOD Classic Fuzz FX52 $55.95
DOD Supra Distortion FX55B $59.95
DOD Super American Metal FX56B $89.95
DOD Attacker FX54 $99.95
DOD Thrash Master FX59 $89.95
Tube Works Real Tube $150.00
Thesis Audio PowerValve $189.00
EH/Sovtech Big Muff PI $58.00
Dunlop MXR Distortion $109.50
Dunlop Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face $119.50
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix System Fuzz $119.50
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz $119.50
Tech 21 Sansamp $295.00 
Here's the list with the prices adjusted for inflation in bold.  Can you imagine paying $200 for a metal zone today!?

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive $89.50     152.15   
Boss Turbo Overdrive OD-2 $109.50    186.15   
Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 $99.50    169.15   
Boss Metal Zone MT-2 $119.50    203.15   
Boss Distortion DS-1 $89.50    152.15   
Boss Turbo Distortion $120.00    204   
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 $109.50    186.15   
Pro Co Vintage Rat $106.25    180.63   
Pro Co Rat II $118.76    201.89   
Pro Co Turbo Rat $133.75    227.38   
Marshall BluesBreaker $130.00    221   
Marshall DriveMaster $130.00    221   
Marshall Shredmaster $130.00    221   
DOD Classic Tube FX53 $64.95    110.42   
DOD Overdrive Plus FX50B $59.95    101.92   
DOD Classic Fuzz FX52 $55.95    95.12   
DOD Supra Distortion FX55B $59.95    101.92   
DOD Super American Metal FX56B $89.95    152.92   
DOD Attacker FX54 $99.95    169.92
DOD Thrash Master FX59 $89.95    152.92  
Tube Works Real Tube $150.00    255   
Thesis Audio PowerValve $189.00    321.30   
EH/Sovtech Big Muff PI $58.00    98.60   
Dunlop MXR Distortion $109.50    186.15   
Dunlop Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face $119.50    203.15   
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix System Fuzz $119.50    203.15   
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz $119.50    203.15   
Tech 21 Sansamp $295.00  501.50
I can't take credit for that, I used a similar calculator and punched in a dollar to see what the conversion was
It's worth checking out Tom's Line, otherwise known as Aroma. I have their Overdrive, which they also call a Greenizer and it's a little ripper. It's just a tubescreamer with a switch for extra boost. I also have their 5 band EQ and it's also good. Really quiet with an overall level knob. I paid $35 for each of them on ebay. I will probably try their reverb next. At those sort of prices, why not?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah i agree with colin

that being said some pedals are taking the piss these days. $600 for a timmy knock-off?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at prices on Spaceman Effects pedals these days. I have one, and it IS great. But some of the asking prices for used ones? I have to think some people are putting them on a reverb ironically...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look at prices on Spaceman Effects pedals these days. I have one, and it IS great. But some of the asking prices for used ones? I have to think some people are putting them on a reverb ironically...
Yeah but you're the consumer OP is mad about
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Not me, man. I bought mine new for just a couple hundred.

OK, maybe I am part of the problem.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by todtong
Yes, I wasn't playing guitar for a while. Apparently, this industry thinks that consumers are happy to pay $200 per pedal (some at $130 or $150) while we know that they are marking this stuff up 150% or more.   yes, I can agree that the pedals available right now are better than the Boss pedals of the early 90s, but they are NOT $110 better just by filtering, noise reduction and appearance alone.

No whining. I posed a question about the need for more than four knobs on a pedal the other day.
Buy a used Pod XT for $85 - $100. Tons of pedals built into the sucker.
Quote by Roc8995
imagine paying $200 for a metal zone

I feel like this is being overlooked.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I feel like this is being overlooked.

A steal at twice the price
Quote by monwobobbo
A steal at twice the price

ALL THE GAIN

NO MIDS
Quote by Diemon Dave
Sooo...like a binary switch?

Position 1: METAL!!!
Position 2: Wussy music

200 is expensive? I've got violinist friends spent more than that on each of the half-dozen bows they keep in their case and around that much on rosin and strings as well. Of course, they play instruments that cost more than most of your cars and they don't even consider their instruments to be expensive. Probably older than some of your cities as well if you live in the US or Canada. I think they don't consider it expensive until it costs more than your house and not old until it's older than your country.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
WTH happened to the violin bow market since the 1790s!?

200 would be super cheap for a bow, too. That's the one that gets played outside in the rain. Not that those prices have much or anything to do with what's a good value in guitar pedals, but the perspective as usual is nice to have. 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sooo...like a binary switch?

Position 1: METAL!!!
Position 2: Wussy music

Dude that pedal is incapable of making wussy music. Brootz or nothing
I
Quote by monwobobbo
Dude that pedal is incapable of making wussy music. Brootz or nothing

DUH, it's CLEARLY the on/off switch!

Deliriumbassist
For the ballad you have to include in the set.

Deliriumbassist

Don't forget the one in the effects loop.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Deliriumbassist

Don't forget the one in the effects loop.

In both of the amps in your stereo setup?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Yeah, I don't feel as bad considering my buddy who is a bassist and happens to also play stand up bass in a classical orchestra had to spend $20k on a crappy (by classical standards) acoustic bass.

There is a lot of hullabaloo about the current pedal market but it seems like things slowed down a bit again. The prices are definitely high, and under $100 is hard to find.

Overall, back then and now, I prefer to buy the expensive brands with good warranty used.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Deliriumbassist
For the ballad you have to include in the set.

Real metal players don't play ballads just brootz and even more brootz. Don't want to be labeled sell outs.
Quote by diabolical
Yeah, I don't feel as bad considering my buddy who is a bassist and happens to also play stand up bass in a classical orchestra had to spend $20k on a crappy (by classical standards) acoustic bass.

There is a lot of hullabaloo about the current pedal market but it seems like things slowed down a bit again. The prices are definitely high, and under $100 is hard to find.

Overall, back then and now, I prefer to buy the expensive brands with good warranty used.

He could have saved a lot by buying an acoustic simulator for his electric. See pedals aren't that expensive after all.
I still have my receipt for an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer that I bought new in 1983 in a music store for $35.95 (plus tax). Now they sell the TS9 reissue claiming that it is made withe same parts as the original only now it costs $100.00 new (Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, Guitar Center). I know inflation is bad but that's quite an increase. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Rickholly74 $35.95 in 1983 is equivalent to $90.04 in 2017. So really it's only an increase of $10 when adjusted for inflation... but that still means that they are charging more for the exact same pedal today than they did 30+ years ago, which is kinda weird. 

Still, you have to charge what the market will bear, I suppose.
I see them all as pretty expensive as say a Boss GT-100 modeler costs about $450 and has the whole line of Boss pedals. Still...every once in a while something that makes you twiddle knobs could be an endless supply of inspiration. Getting a new toy usually squeezes at least 1-2 new songs out of me.
Lots of options out there these days.... I like Black Arts Toneworks  to name one company...they make killer stuff.........but ya, prices can be silly overall for whats out there... Speaking of Boss I actually gravitated back to Boss pedals recently... supplementing what I already had with some used ones that are everywhere...... I tricked out my whole modulation section for about the price of one new  "dohicky" modulation pedal... I forgot how cool Boss were and as a bonus I can sound like The Cure whenever I want!
Quote by monwobobbo
Real metal players don't play ballads just brootz and even more brootz. Don't want to be labeled sell outs.

But the gürlz, thö...

Page 1 of 3