Hello -
I practice exclusively using headphones connected to my amp. Will I notice the difference between an electric guitar's stock pickups and say upgrading to some Seymour Duncan pickups?
Thanks.
ExDementia I have a PRS SE Standard 245 w/standard PRS humbuckers, PRS SE Standard 24 w/standard PRS humbuckers, and a Gibson SG Faded with  490R and 490T humbuckers with Alnico magnets.
ExDementia Using a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 amp and also have a Fender Mustang 1 amp (both modeling amps). I'm wanting a heavier, Priest-like sound but still have the option of clean tones. Just exploring what "the next step up" is equipment-wise, knowing I can't afford American manufactured Gibson and Fender prices. I'm still exploring all of the modeling offered in these amps and have not even scratched the surface of the pedals/effects they model, so I'm not looking to buy pedals.
Hmm. Well especially when talking about classic Priest, they didn't really have access to particularly hot pickups in the late 70's and 80's, so I don't think that is really what you need to change in your tone. I had the 490s in my Les Paul, and they can do a classic metal sound pretty well.

One unfortunate thing is that I've never come across an amp that does decent sound through headphones. The Vypyr is OK, never tried the Mustang, and the Yamaha THR10X probably sounded the best -- BUT none of them compare to plugging into your computer and using amp + cab simulators like Amplitube or Peavey Revalver. Speakers add so much depth to the sound that most modeling amps just have a hard time reproducing, but the cab impulses in these programs or VST plugins do a fantastic job.

So if you're going to be playing through headphones, that might be an option for you to explore. Of course, I haven't tried every option out there, so hopefully someone else can chime in with another suggestion.

What's your budget look like for an upgrade here?
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 6, 2017,
I'm not familiar with that guitar and pickups but in general a change in pickups isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, it certainly isn't going to make you sound like this or that band. Unless your stock pickups are useless, your are going to spend quite a bit to buy new pickups and the difference in sound is minimal. I have the exact same amps, and there is so much to do with the Mustang Fuse software and probably more stuff to do on the Peavey, I'd say just tinker with your amps for a sound you like. And if you get a chance, play the Peavey without the headphones, it kicks butt.
Quote by ExDementia
BUT none of them compare to plugging into your computer and using amp + cab simulators like Amplitube or Peavey Revalver. Speakers at so much depth to the sound that most modeling amps just have a hard time reproducing, but the cab impulses in these programs or VST plugins do a fantastic job.

I've only ever used VST plugins when recording. Is there any problem with latency when using emulation software to real time playing?
Will you notice a difference? Probably.

Will it be worth the price of a new pair of pickups? Probably not. Up to you though. Generally speaking, modelling amps are less sensitive to pickup changes. That, plus the fact that you are playing through headphones, means it probably isn't worth it.

If you dislike the pickups in one particular guitar compared to one of your others however then go for it, especially if you can get a decent price. If/when you upgrade your rig you will already have better pickups to carry over.
You might notice a very slight difference but I doubt it. Those are pretty nice guitars with decent pickups. I am a huge Priest fan and I think you have everything you need to get that sound. I'll bet if you handed those guitars to Glenn Tipton or KK Downing, they would still sound like Judas Priest. It's in their hands and technique. 

Here's a video of Glenn playing a Gibson SG.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 6, 2017,
Quote by mettleurgist
ExDementia I have a PRS SE Standard 245 w/standard PRS humbuckers, PRS SE Standard 24 w/standard PRS humbuckers, and a Gibson SG Faded with  490R and 490T humbuckers with Alnico magnets.

You're not upgrading if you swap out those pickups. You may be SIDE grading if there's something specific the current pickups don't offer, but I'd honestly leave 'em alone.