Title kinda explains it. I've been at it for 3 days now, and the 4th string always gets blocked for some reason when attempting the bar well anywhere.. From the part of 5555-8555, to 3335, 1111, exc. The barre chord for this song is really getting me, I was wondering if there was any technique at all to figuring out how to play these chords. Perhaps i'm holding my guitar wrong or something. I don't know. I've been playing for almost 3 years now. Any help would be appreciated. But please don't just say you need to strengthen your fingers, its the obvious. I don't want to wait another year just to play this song. 
How do you hold your guitar? Hard to say if you're doing it wrong if we don't know how you do it.

If you're not using all six strings, you don't have to barre all of the six strings. If you only barre up to the fifth or even the fourth string (don't know how black hole sun goes), you can significantly reduce the amount of force you need to do a clean barre. That's something you can think about.

Also, be sure you put your arm into it. You're not supposed to just "pincer" the neck between your thumb and index, you need to pull the strings down with the full strength of your whole arm.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Thanks for your reply! What do you mean by put my arm into it? I kinda figured out my problem, my  fingers are super long so I needed to move them up, so the crease on my finger didn't ruin the bar. Just need to get used to that position. Still appreciate the reply.
Quote by thearchangel122
Thanks for your reply! What do you mean by put my arm into it? I kinda figured out my problem, my  fingers are super long so I needed to move them up, so the crease on my finger didn't ruin the bar. Just need to get used to that position. Still appreciate the reply.

That's great, yeah the uneven shape of the finger can cause issues.

Often people use their whole arm to strengthen the barre, basically you can try to press the strings down not only with the strength of your fingers, but also all of the muscles on your arm. You can secure the guitar between your own body and your hand, and you can pull the guitar against your own body to get a ton more strength. Not sure if this is a clear explanation, but you can think of the arch of your whole arm kind of the same way you can think of your finger, pressing the force of the whole arm against the fretboard. This probably sounds super confusing though not sure how to explain it better.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here