Hey guys,

So I have been learning to play with just the guitar and amp (Line 6 spider iv) and I am wondering what the next step is in reference to a pedal. I've been told to find a good distortion pedal but I'm not sure if that's what is necessary but idk. I just figured to ask you guys. I'm into playing acdc, guns n roses, as well as small amounts of metal here and there. Basically, should I look for a distortion pedal or is there another type of pedal I should look for first?
You should probably look for a different amp. Figure out a budget. Don't think the spider cares for distortion pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
What's your budget? Like mentioned above, a better amp (like a Marshall tube amp) will get you closer to those tones, without the need for a pedal.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Ok gotcha. I wasn't aware that a different amp would merit a more sought after tone. I thought it took a pedal to find the tone.
Yeah amp is foundation of tone. Pedals just add to it. Modeling amps often don't play nice with pedals (except wah).
Quote by NavyVet88
Ok gotcha. I wasn't aware that a different amp would merit a more sought after tone. I thought it took a pedal to find the tone.

It can, but the trick is that solid-state modeling amps like the one you have often have their own models for distortion, fuzz and overdrive built into them. In part because of this, they don't interact well with pedals that do those same things. Even though theynalso have things like reverb, delay, and other effect models, the same compatibility issue doesn't pop up.

Couldn't tell you why.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It can, but the trick is that solid-state modeling amps like the one you have often have their own models for distortion, fuzz and overdrive built into them. In part because of this, they don't interact well with pedals that do those same things. Even though theynalso have things like reverb, delay, and other effect models, the same compatibility issue doesn't pop up.

Couldn't tell you why.

Computer simulation is the reason. Pushing the signal that isn't how it's done in a modeling amp all that happens is the parameters of the model change. Time based fx work better because the model doesn't change. Most modelling amps don't seem to have an fx loop so clean signal from guitar is affected before it reaches model. Thinking high end modeller have solved some of this
Ideally, yes. But there is nothing wrong with buying pedals if you catch a killer deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!