I have a Aguilar Tonehammer 500 bass head set in mind. but I am having trouble deciding on what kind of cab I should get.
My location makes it impossible for me to try out any myself before I buy. I'll have to order one online.

I mostly play jazz, fusion, funk, pop etc etc and I like my tone to be warm, smooth, and not too treble-y. Something like Janek Gwizdala's tone here...

The Aguilar SL112's are a bit too steep in price for me, so I'm looking for other alternatives for around the $500 price range.
Has to be a 1x12 though.

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at Markbass 121 or New York cabinets.  Very nice, and definitely less expensive than the Aguilar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Don't buy commercial. Build your own. No, seriously.

Look up the fEARful 12/6/1; one of the best bass cabinets on the planet. Plans are freely available (a friendly kitch cabinet maker or a good carpenter can cut out everything for you if you don't have the skills. If you're in the US, you can order a complete set of cut panels from www.speakerhardware.com.

The drivers are a 12" Eminence Kappalite 3012LF, an 18Sound 6.5" mids driver and a (probably) JBL 1" tweeter. speakerhardware.com will also sell you completed crossovers, driver kits and even complete kits including the proper glue and finishing supplies. Aside from a bunch of furniture clamps (rentable) you might want to own a corner clamp or two.

Buy a grill for them while you're at it. These cabinets will handle up to 700W and are lighter than most 1x12s, thanks to a sophisticated bracing system that allows the use of lighter, thinner plywood while reducing oil-canning and producing more power from the speakers. The cabinets were developed by Dave Green ("greenboy") and you'll find both websites and Facebook pages devoted to these things.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 8, 2017,
It's an interesting idea, but once you throw in the cost of the speaker, the mids driver and the tweeter, the crossover, and the grille and the tolex, I think he'd be pretty far north of his desired price range.  And a speaker cabinet isn't the easiest thing to assemble unless you're experienced with the necessary tools.

It looks like it would be a fine bass cabinet - assuming one put it together correctly.
Quote by FatalGear41
It's an interesting idea, but once you throw in the cost of the speaker, the mids driver and the tweeter, the crossover, and the grille and the tolex, I think he'd be pretty far north of his desired price range.  And a speaker cabinet isn't the easiest thing to assemble unless you're experienced with the necessary tools.

It looks like it would be a fine bass cabinet - assuming one put it together correctly.

Nope.

1. Assuming you pick the midrange components, you can buy a complete kit including finishing materials for slightly over $500.

2. You don't use tolex on these boxes. Most professional audio speaker manufacturers use acrytech's Duratex (a textured, rubberized paint that's usually applied with a roller for small quantity builds). Duratex is extremely durable and far easier to fix than ripped tolex. Some of the kits include enough Duratex for at least two coats, as well as the special roller.

3. You're expressing your own fear about assembling a cabinet because you've never done one. These cabinets were designed to be clamped and glued (using Loctite's Premium PL, which creates airtight joins stronger than the wood itself). I've done one of these. Here's the assembly process:

Okay, so if you don't want to put together a bass cabinet, my second favorite would probably be the barefacedbass (dot com) Super Compact.

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Compact.htm

It's over your budget by a bit (about 569 pounds in the You Kaye and nearly $800 in the You Ess Aye), but this little (22" high x 17.5" wide x 12"" deep) sucker will put out 127 dB at 37Hz - 4kHz (which is about what a high quality 4x10 will do before the lows fail to keep up with the mids) and it weighs in at around 22 lbs. No, seriously. And it will handle 600W at 8 ohms (the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 only puts out about 250W at 8 ohms, so you've got a LOT of room).

The Aguilar SL112, for purposes of comparison is around 25 pounds but will only handle 250W at 8 ohms and costs $750 at Musician's Fiend.
If you can find a used Genz Benz NeoX 112t I believe you will be knocked off your feet.

Used is about $380 US, believe you will be very happy.

Once upon a time, when the College Instructor showed up one Fall with the 5th Contra Bass made by Ken Smith stealing my idea for direction, he showed up also with a 3.2 cu.ft. cabinet with 3 JBL 8110 5" and a 15" 2255 JBL (driven by a Walter Woods) made by Michael O'Rouke of OAP in GA.

I stole his cabinet Idea.  Sold it after touring to Adam Nitti.

I can say I was not so impressed with the idea and design that I had to go back in that direction when I got back into playing 7 years after quitting.

I stumbled on the Genz Benz when a pall bearer of Cliff Burton heard me and told me I needed to play for people again.

I have 5 NeoX 112t cabs now and 2 212t cabs.  If you can find them I believe you will have taken the straightest course to what you want.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Just forget the 1x12" cabinet and go for the Ampeg 36x10" bruiser!

Quote by Sliide90027
If you can find a used Genz Benz NeoX 112t I believe you will be knocked off your feet.

Used is about $380 US, believe you will be very happy.

I recall these cabinets from about 10 years ago -- they handled about 300W RMS, sounded pretty old school. Hard to find these days; there's just one on eBay, used, for about $512US (it's in the UK). I think you bought up all that they produced .
I suppose all significantly aged gear is Old.

I have seemed to clear out the market and Jeff Genzler calls the whole thing an "Arsenal"
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B