Epiphone came out with this, it's going retail in October:

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2017/Ltd-Ed-Lee-Malia-RD-Custom-Artisan-Outfit.aspx

It apparently has one of those weird composite fretboards, and it's baked. The guitar in the picture certainly doesn't look like it has richlite, so it's a bit of a mystery what it is. Looks like normal rosewood to me, maybe the production guitars will all have ugly black richlite boards.

Thoughts? I don't think it's quite the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but the upper fret access looks atrocious. Forget about any solos above the 17th fret. Can anyone who's played an RD confirm this?

I'm quite keen on the previous Explorer and LP Artisan's they released, and I've only heard good things about the original Indonesian run of the LP Artisan in particular, its praise is only really behind the Elitists. It seems odd to me that they'd release this in such quick succession after the Explorer.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Aug 7, 2017,
Like Lee's Epiphone Les Paul Artisan,  the new Ltd. Ed. Lee Malia Explorer Custom Artisan Outfit features  another classic "Kalamazoo" era design--the Explorer--in a beautiful  Walnut finish with Ivory and Black binding on the body and headstock  along with an "Artisan" floral inlay in pearloid on a smooth Torrefied  Composite fingerboard.  

Torrefied wood is a renewable, carbon-neutral energy source that is more energy dense than wood and almost as dense as coal. Torrefied wood is created from biomass material that goes through a process called torrefaction. 
Torrefied wood (usually maple) is simply wood that's been run through the first phases of charcoalization. In short, it's put into an oven with an extremely low oxygen content (so it doesn't burn) just as wood intended for charcoal is, but it's pulled before it can get to that stage. Occasionally, however, maple that's been submitted to that process will check and crack before it can be used for fretboards, etc.

Once the wood has been heated and cooled, it's gotten darker in color (varies from batch to batch) and is stiffer, but more brittle. If they're making a "composite," it's likely that it will be impregnated with resin.
Upper fret access isn't all that good, and nothing in the back of the guitar helps out either.

You're buying this for the body shape and inlays, primarily, followed by binding and gold jewelry. In short, it's all about the visuals.

The pickups are basic humbucker and P94 (P90 with a dummy coil to reduce hum), and the humbucker is coil-tapped. Pretty much it.
I've looked at picking up a vintage RD for the last year, prices fluctuate in ways that have kept me off of it. If epiphone would do a reissue in natural without the gold, I'd be all over it.
OffsetOffset
I preordered the explorer on Sweetwater. Talked the guy down to $750. I'm itching to blast it through my Diezel.
Then about 3 weeks later they announce the RD...
Last edited by corgan33 at Aug 10, 2017,
No idea why they're giving this random bloke so many signature models, nor why anyone would buy an RD, but I do have to say I think his sigs are gorgeous, even with a body shape this ugly.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
No idea why they're giving this random bloke so many signature models

Because much like the Schecter A7X signstures, they are aimed at silly fan boy teenagers that don't know any better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Because much like the Schecter A7X signstures, they are aimed at silly fan boy teenagers that don't know any better.
i haven't even heard of this dude though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah seems random why this guy is getting several signature models that are essentially the same guitar in different body styles. He's not exactly a very notable artist. I'm curious to know what Lee Malia did to warrant such special treatment from Epiphone.

Regardless, reissuing the late-70's-early 80's Gibson Artisan LPC aesthetic in different body styles is a cool idea and they do look very pretty. Especially the Explorer.

I honestly like Epiphone. I wish the quality of their non-Elitist guitars were better in general, (realistically that's not going to happen) but the concepts of many of their signature models in recent years have been way too cool to not like.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
i haven't even heard of this dude though

He is one of those guys where nobody has heard of him except for the aforementioned fan boys, aka the target demographic.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
He is one of those guys where nobody has heard of him except for the aforementioned fan boys, aka the target demographic.
If something isn't about me it's not real.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm curious to know what Lee Malia did to warrant such special treatment from Epiphone.

Selling lots of records and this every night.