Hello everyone!

My name is André and I'm from Portugal. This is my first thread here.

I'm looking for a tube combo amp and I´m undecided between these two that I refer on the title.

I play Metal but also like a decent clean channel to play some Blues and that kind of stuff.

Both are 20w all-tube with the same tubes, and it's possible reduce the power to 5w and to 1w,which is great to play at home. It will be for gigging too.

The Peavey has a very good clean channel and A LOT of features like Damping Control (controls Presence and Resonance at the same time), Simulation of A/AB class amp , TSI™ tube monitoring with LED pass/fail indicator lights,USB direct recording output, separate EQ for each channel,etc. But I don´t know if it has enough gain to do some modern Metal or not.

The ENGL has a GREAT distortion (in my opinion) but the EQ is shared and don't have so much features. Has Mid-Boost and separate Gain controls for each channel.

The Peavey costs 650EUR and the ENGL costs 800EUR.

I think the Peavey is better than the ENGL look at all specs,but don´t have that awesome Lead channel.

So,what it's your opinion?
Thank you and sorry my english if I made some mistakes.
you didn't look at the spec sheet for the Peavey did you. the 100 watt head has all those features not the 20.  the peavey also has a shared eq. it doesn't have the resonance and presence controls either.  you had better check on some of those other features as well.  if you are looking for a metal amp then the Engl is likely to be better. also keep in mind tha 20 watts isn't much when playing in a band especially metal. 
Hello,thanks for your opinion

The 20w combo has all that features too,take a look

Do you change your opinion about the better amp?
ok was looking at the head version my bad.  opinion not really changing but it depends on exactly what you want to do. i have a 50 watt VK i use for practice. it's not a metal amp at heart. sure if you run an overdrive in front it get enough gain going for some metal but falls a bit short for most modern metal tones. the clean channel is good though 
No worry man

Humm ok, I'm understaning what you saying, I can always put an OD pedal in front of too increase the gain.

If the VK that you have belongs to the 2nd generation (like the picture that I post) you confirmed what I suspect: it doesn't have much gain to play modern Metal. Maybe just 80's Metal, not something heavier.

I think the Peavey it's a lot more versatile than the ENGL,because of all the features. The ENGL it is more simple but really turned to Metal.

Yeah I have to decide,any suggestions are welcome thanks man
just bear in mind the engl's hybrid. i think the peavey's boost is solid state, but (if it's the same as the bigger one, which it might not be- the mini 6505 is hybrid while the bigger ones are all-tube) if the boost's off it's all-tube.

if you're in europe it's really hard to beat the jet city stuff (on thomann) for what it costs. the clean channel on the high gain ones is more of a crunch channel, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm really thinking in buying a tube amp,I had some solid state amps and now I would like to try a all tube.

If I'm not mistaken,the boost of the Peavey add one tube on the pre amp section,because they have three 12AX7 pre amp tubes. But seems doesn't have so much gain. I know Metal it is not just gain,but it is needed. But the clean channel of it is really good.

If the Engl's clean channel it was as so good as the Peavey, I would buy it. But I have too choose. However,the Peavey has all that features.

Yeah I'm in europe and I would check the Jet City stuff man
Quote by Estrangeiro
I'm really thinking in buying a tube amp,I had some solid state amps and now I would like to try a all tube.

If I'm not mistaken,the boost of the Peavey add one tube on the pre amp section,because they have three 12AX7 pre amp tubes. But seems doesn't have so much gain. I know Metal it is not just gain,but it is needed. But the clean channel of it is really good.

If the Engl's clean channel it was as so good as the Peavey, I would buy it. But I have too choose. However,the Peavey has all that features.

Yeah I'm in europe and I would check the Jet City stuff man

no the boost function on the VK does not add a tube it is a solid state function and not very useful past low volume practice. us an overdrive not the boost for any real playing. 
I am not sure of what I said about the boost,so I dont wanna argue that. But could be like you are saying,yeah. Thanks for the tips man

The Peavey with a OD pedal in the front of it, must be interesting
Quote by Estrangeiro
I am not sure of what I said about the boost,so I dont wanna argue that. But could be like you are saying,yeah. Thanks for the tips man

The Peavey with a OD pedal in the front of it, must be interesting

i promise you what i said is correct. the VK sounds good with an overdrive up front but as i said doesn't really reach modern metal tones. when turned up to band volume the gain turns to mud after about 4-5. with an overdrive you get some more and it's manageable. good for say 80s Judas Pries and maybe early Metallica but not much more. won't do the low end that much of modern metals relies on as it's an open back cab.  
Okay okay,I forgot that you have one

With that examples I have an ideia of what sound it can produce. Thanks a lot,you really help me with my doubt about the Peavey's lead channel

Maybe I go buying the Engl,but I will still searching for combos that I like. It haves a "Clean Gain" knob,when turned up its like a crunch sound. So when it turned down maybe I can have decent cleans.

Here is a photo of it

The EQ is shared and I prefer that wasn't but ok...
There is a 40w combo too,just have the addition of a gain boost and more wattage. But doesnt have the function to reduce the wattage and I dont know if it will sounds ok playing on bedroom. Maybe a volume pedal solve that
well if you want all-tube the engl isn't. so that's worth bearing in mind. the jet cities are all-tube. and cheaper.

i wouldn't worry too much about wattage for bedroom volume- unless you can get down to a teeny fraction of a watt (and most don't), it'll still be too loud for bedroom practice. plus for metal tones it's mainly in the preamp anyway, the overall volume, while it helps, isn't super-critical, and higher-wattage amps often sound better turned way down than lower wattage amps do. unfortunately there's no real rhyme nor reason to it and you kind of won't know which will work best at low volumes until you try them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Engl is all-tube,has 2x ECC83 on the preamp and 2x EL84 on the power amp.

Yeah but it will be for gigging too,small/medium clubs and smaller places. But I can always mic it if needed,if I choose the 20w version. And in this version its possible to reduce the wattage to 1w to play in bedroom. On the 40w version,its not. Dont know higher wattage amps often sounds better at low volumes,thanks man but now that you said that, I read somewhere that Engl's sound great at low volumes too,but I never tried one. Just hear some demos and covers on YouTube.

I really want to try them or other cool amps but the stores near me doesnt have them,neither others around here. I gotta still searching
Quote by Estrangeiro
The Engl is all-tube,has 2x ECC83 on the preamp and 2x EL84 on the power amp.

Yeah but it will be for gigging too,small/medium clubs and smaller places. But I can always mic it if needed,if I choose the 20w version. And in this version its possible to reduce the wattage to 1w to play in bedroom. On the 40w version,its not. Dont know higher wattage amps often sounds better at low volumes,thanks man but now that you said that, I read somewhere that Engl's sound great at low volumes too,but I never tried one. Just hear some demos and covers on YouTube.

I really want to try them or other cool amps but the stores near me doesnt have them,neither others around here. I gotta still searching

well it has tubes but isn't all tube. its the stuff inbetween the preamp and the power amp section that matters. no "metal" amp can produce that amount of gain with just 2 preamp tubes. if you look at other all tube metal orientated amps you'll see that they have at least 3 but more often 4 or more preamp tubes. with only 2 they are using clipping diodes which are solid state to up the gain. not saying they won't sound good but there is a difference.  

as i said i use a Valveking for practice and that is a 50 watter. works fine at low volumes and the neighbors and wife haven't threatened to kill me yet (well ok the mrs threatens to kill me on a weekly basis but not because my amps to loud   
Thank you so much about the info make sense what you're saying. For example,the EVH 5150 had 7x preamp tubes,if I am not mistaken. And its an amazing amp,but too expensive to me. I also saw a Orange TH30 combo that I like. It is on my amp-list but the Engl is probably what I go buying. But still searching,of course.

As you said,yet so be careful

Once again,thanks for all the info. It would be very useful for me on my journey to buy a good amp
Do you have to have a combo? For the same price as the ENGL, couldn't you get the Laney IRT-studio plus a 1x12 (or 2x12) cab?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by monwobobbo
well it has tubes but isn't all tube. its the stuff inbetween the preamp and the power amp section that matters. no "metal" amp can produce that amount of gain with just 2 preamp tubes. if you look at other all tube metal orientated amps you'll see that they have at least 3 but more often 4 or more preamp tubes. with only 2 they are using clipping diodes which are solid state to up the gain. not saying they won't sound good but there is a difference.  

as i said i use a Valveking for practice and that is a 50 watter. works fine at low volumes and the neighbors and wife haven't threatened to kill me yet (well ok the mrs threatens to kill me on a weekly basis but not because my amps to loud   

yeah. i'd suspect it has to have solid state gain stages too. being a push-pull amp it needs one of the 12ax7s for a phase inverter, so that only leaves one 12ax7 for the amplification and distortion... not enough. or it has a solid state phase inverter, but then that still makes it not all-tube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DarthV
Do you have to have a combo? For the same price as the ENGL, couldn't you get the Laney IRT-studio plus a 1x12 (or 2x12) cab?

It is a possibility to buy a head and a cab yeah,but maybe the combo be more practical to transport to play with the band and all that,you know. But nowadays there is lunchbox-heads yeah,very small e light. But I go searching,thanks for the tip
Quote by Estrangeiro
It is a possibility to buy a head and a cab yeah,but maybe the combo be more practical to transport to play with the band and all that,you know. But nowadays there is lunchbox-heads yeah,very small e light. But I go searching,thanks for the tip

Head and cab will be heavier in total, but you don't have to carry both at the same time :P My old 6505 212 combo weighed 85-90 pounds, much rather make 2 trips with a 60-70lb cab and a head :P The other great thing, down the road, you can always buy a cab for your jam/practice spot and leave it there. I just left my EVH 212 cab at a friend's place, now I just have to bring my 17lb Mark V 25 head, backpack with cables/pedals/etc and a guitar when I want to jam :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Haha you're right I have a friend that do the same you do. But the combo it is cheaper too,and it is an important factor I have around 1000EUR to spend on a decent combo. I'm searching
Quote by Estrangeiro
Haha you're right I have a friend that do the same you do. But the combo it is cheaper too,and it is an important factor I have around 1000EUR to spend on a decent combo. I'm searching

don't forget to check out Jet City they would have combo or head / cab in your price range
the stupid jet city combos are hardly ever in stock

also 2x12 combos are stupid heavy. i'm a wuss, but still. i wasn't happy getting mine out of the box and about 8 feet to where it sits, let alone carrying it any further than that EDIT: I know cathbard recommends a trolly or something like that. that's actually a pretty decent idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah its true. Thomann don't have the combos,at least.

Are they heavy? I didn't know that. A trolly might help you. Or go to the gym I am kidding
Quote by Estrangeiro

Are they heavy? I didn't know that. A trolly might help you. Or go to the gym I am kidding

2x12 combos are pretty heavy. my Peavey Ultra 2x12 weighs in at around 70lbs. my VK 1x12 i 50lbs. tube amps aren't light. i can still schlep my 2x12 around if need but a dolly is a very good idea. i have another 2x12 that has a 3/4 inch oak cab and that weighs a ton (never weighed it but it is damn heavy) . 
I don't have any experience with the lower watt ENGLs but test drive those if you can.

I'd also look at the Laney IronHeart. IRT30-112 is the 30w combo. I have the IRT studio and really enjoy it - nice cleans that can be pushed, good crunch and good 'metal'. I run mine through a Mesa 212 when it's not hooked through the computer - never used the stock Laney HH speaker.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Estrangeiro

hahahaha

yeah 2x12s are usually pretty heavy. it depends on the specific amp, and there might be some overlap between heavier 1x12s and lighter 2x12s, but 2x12s are normally over 25kg and 1x12s are normally below that. 2x12s can be over 30kg and 1x12s below 20kg... that's a noticeable difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahaha

yeah 2x12s are usually pretty heavy. it depends on the specific amp, and there might be some overlap between heavier 1x12s and lighter 2x12s, but 2x12s are normally over 25kg and 1x12s are normally below that. 2x12s can be over 30kg and 1x12s below 20kg... that's a noticeable difference.

Yeah it depends but they are heavy yeah. And it is a really noticeable difference! The models I have seen that I like all are 1x12" combos. The Engl it is 1x10"
Quote by metalmingee
I don't have any experience with the lower watt ENGLs but test drive those if you can.

I'd also look at the Laney IronHeart. IRT30-112 is the 30w combo. I have the IRT studio and really enjoy it - nice cleans that can be pushed, good crunch and good 'metal'. I run mine through a Mesa 212 when it's not hooked through the computer - never used the stock Laney HH speaker.

I already saw that Laney combo,looks nice yeah. To be honest I dont like it much,and also read the distortion it is not the best. But could be personal taste of course