I'm in a band where I've wrote the music, and somebody else wrote the lyrics. Can I take the music only and write new songs based off the music I created?

Thanks
Hi dude

You can take the music and make new songs, but your original band can continue to play your old songs with the same music. They would just be playing covers of your songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Hi dude

You can take the music and make new songs, but your original band can continue to play your old songs with the same music. They would just be playing covers of your songs.

Thanks Alan
It's not a cut and dry answer. Is there a copyright registered for the songs? If so, did you assign ownership to anyone other than yourself? Were these songs previously recorded or performed live (implied ownership of recorded material)? Generally when songs are copyrighted and there is more than one author you both own the all parts of the song (music and lyrics) unless you set it up differently when you registered the song. Someone else on here can give you a more in-depth answer. If there is no legal copyright I don't think there is anything to worry about.

From WiseGeek:

"When it comes to the ownership rights to a song, the legal and ethical waters get a bit murky. Establishing the ownership of any creative work can be fraught with peril, although there are some basic copyright laws that do make things a little clearer. One might assume the songwriter himself or herself owns the exclusive rights to a song that he or she created, but that's not always the case in the professional music business.

A songwriter, much like any other literary composer , is automatically granted rights to a song the instant it is created. But this is considered to be more of an intellectual copyright until that song has been registered, transcribed in printed form, or otherwise established in a permanent medium (such as a recorded demo). If another musician  learned the song's unique melody and lyrics, then deliberately claimed the song as his or her own, the original songwriter may have a difficult time proving his ownership of a song that was never recorded or published. Scenarios such as this can and do happen in the music industry  , especially when songwriting teams split up or band members become solo artists."
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 7, 2017,
The copyright laws vary a little in different countries. Take your music, write new lyrics and then register it and it should be yours, especially if the song the music came from was not registered by the band you were in.
Copyright aside, would you really want to take the music with different lyrics? I've only ever tried to do something similar once, and after getting used to hearing the song as a whole with the original vocal melody and lyrics, it just sounds weird with new stuff over the top.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
If nobody involved is famous, then do whatever you want. There's nothing at stake, and legalities only matter when more than personal feelings are involved.

But honestly I'd just move on. Surely you can rely on your ability to continue doing creative work and improving. 
Hey there.
The best thing you can do is talk to them about that issue. If there's no hard feelings then you probably will keep the songs. As far as there's no contract, no copyright, or anything else, talking is always the best answer.
Work harder, I believe in you.