Hey guys,

There has been a lot of debate on the use of lemon oil for fretboards (which I regrettably have just discovered). I now believe it is no good. I have been using it on Rosewood fretboards and my strings are rusting quickly from the acidity and the fretboard plays slowly...so how do I remedy this and get that lemon oil out of there. I have only been doing this for this past year when I changed strings....thoughts? Thanks all
You should NOT be using real Lemon Oil on fretboards. That's only supposed to be used for cooking and for aromatherapy.
There's never been any debate about that. For what it's worth, you're not supposed to use Rosewood Oil, either. That's distilled from an entirely different tree and it's used for aromatherapy as well.

The "lemon oil" that you're supposed to use on fretboards (and sparingly, at that) is the "lemon oil furniture polish" like the Olde English brand. In fact, there's no lemon in most of the "lemon oil" polishes; it's mostly mineral oil. The very best thing you can use happens to be the cheapest and the easiest to get: plain old mineral oil. You do NOT use it every time you change strings (usually three or four times a year is about as often as you want to). And if you do apply it, you do so VERY sparingly. Wipe it on, wait a minute or two and then wipe it off. Do NOT let it soak in.

The truth is, you really don't need to use anything on your fretboard at all -- there's enough natural oil in rosewood and ebony fretboards for a few centuries. You're not replacing any "vital oils." They don't need oiling. They'll look a little dry when you don't, but there's nothing wrong with them doing that.

If you've actually been using real Lemon Oil, you're not going to get it out. It will just do so over time. Using anything to try to GET it out will just ruin your fretboard.

If your strings are rusting quickly (it's not acidity that will do it), I suggest two things: wipe your strings down after you play (fronts and backs) with a *clean* microfiber cloth. Do not put the used microfiber cloth over your strings/ frets to store it. Put your guitar in your case (your strings will rust far more quickly if you leave the guitar out on a stand). And if you really want to slow down rust and/or corrosion put a VCI emitter (or a slice of a VCI bag *) in the *closed* case with your guitar. It will help prevent corrosion by emitting an inhibitor that will coat your metal bits a few molecules thick (you won't be able to see or feel it). These things are used to store NASA rocket parts, expensive guns, etc., etc. www.theruststore.com has emitter canisters (they last about a year, cost under $10) or you can buy the bags at a gun store or online, cut them into strips and put them between your frets and your strings when you put the guitar away at night.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/
Thanks for all the info. Very useful. The stuff O ised was cheap stuff from the grocery store, nowhere did it say anything about being 100 percent lemon oil