Hi!

Right now I have buried myself in some music theory books for the guitar. I have a Gibson SG and a Fender mustang 1 amp. It's a nice sounding practice amp, but I want something better for when I've really attained the improvement at guitar that I'm practicing for.

My main musical influences these days are Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Opeth. I love the general tone on their solos. I think I'm willing to spend about 750 dollars, give or take a few bucks.

Ideally I would get the mesa boogie JP-2c amp, but I think it's crazy expensive
Mesa.  But you knew that already.  
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Try playing a peavey xxx you can get some amazing tones at a fraction of the price. Ive had mine for years now and that thing is a straight beast, amazing clean channel as well.
Quote by Secrxt Agent
Cajundaddy
<3

guess so

how cool. a head is only 500 dollars!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/#pageName=used-page&N=1076+16525+1087&Nao=0&recsPerPage=30&postalCode=27906&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

If you get a head you will need to get a cab of course. Which you can snag solid cabs for $250. Maybe try to find a 2x12.
eric715715 See I went with a peavy 6505+ 112 combo because i thought that amp had better cleans and it was more versatile for metal/cleans. xXx was a nice chug amp though. 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive