I have a cheap guitar (ammoon LP copy) and a crate gfx 120 amp that I just got used. When I turn my guitar volume up past 1 or 2 I get an insane amount of squeal through the amp unless I lay may hand on the strings . I have tried every way of setting it. Adjusted the pickups then changed the pick ups (I put in GM 1984 in it) thinking that could be the cause. I get a great tone(suits me any way) out of this set up but I need to know what's causing the squeal and can I fix it.

Thanks
God bless
are you using proper cables? are you in a small room? how loud do you need it
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, are you sure you're not using a speaker cable between the guitar and amp?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by farmertom311
I have a cheap guitar (ammoon LP copy) and a crate gfx 120 amp that I just got used. When I turn my guitar volume up past 1 or 2 I get an insane amount of squeal through the amp unless I lay may hand on the strings . I have tried every way of setting it. Adjusted the pickups then changed the pick ups (I put in GM 1984 in it) thinking that could be the cause.  I get a great tone(suits me any way)  out of this set up but I need to know what's causing the squeal and can I fix it.

Thanks
God bless

I am curious if you have been reducing the volume at the guitar, but the amp is cranked which is causing the oscillation. If so, try reversing it. Use your guitar at maximum volume, but reduce the amp's volume to get it to the levels you need. Also if you are running the amp at silly high volume levels, with silly amounts of gain, yes you will run into feedback. Also if the pickups are not properly seated they will cause feedback as they essentially vibrate in the guitar body IIRC.
Quote by 8Len8
Yeah, are you sure you're not using a speaker cable between the guitar and amp?

Does that cause squealing/feedback? It could surely cause noise but I am not sure how it would cause squealing.
Will Lane speaker cables aren't shielded so your amp output will feed back to the input and cause squeeling.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Will Lane

No I'm not running high amp volume either...can't. If I up the volume much past 2 on either or both it begins to squeal . but like I said as soon as you lay your hand on the strings it it will quit.

I will check the cable but I'm almost certain its a guitar cable

Thanks guys
God bless