Hi,

We (me and my daughter) wants to try an Ibanez, so far we share our guitars. ;-) She likes all kinds of music but the band she is playing in is mostly playing metal (using various tunings). 

Only requirements is hardtail and six string, I know she prefer ebony fretboard more than rosewood because of the look and feel but it's not a showstopper.

We already have a guitar equipped with EMGs, we like them but this time we aim for passive pickups.

I have a very difficult time choosing between a used Prestige or a new Iron Label, really confusing.

Also I have a rough time deciding on 26,5 or 25,5 scale length... My daughter being approx 164cm, not very tall. I know 26,5 is slightly better for down tunings but they play all kind of tunings...

The Iron Label guitars look stunning but if I buy a new Iron Label it will loose more value than a used Prestige, that's for sure. But... the Iron Labels looking fantastic, metal specs and are hypnotizing me a bit. ;-)

Iron Labels being made in Indonesia vs Prestige in Japan... a big question is differences in build quality and fret work. I have heard Iron Label being much better now than the first year or so?

Looking at Iron Label guitars like:
RGDIX6PB
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=231&color=CL01

RGDIX6MPB
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=229&color=CL01

RGAIX6FM
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=299&color=CL01

RGAIX6U (higher price than other Iron Labels because of the Bare Knuckles Aftermath pickups).
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=301&color=CL01

Not really sure what to look for on the used market for Prestige since I lack of experience in Ibanez guitars.
RGA121
RGA321
RG652

?

The RG652FX is a bit interesting because I can get it for approximately the same price even new (including a hard case) as one of the higher priced Iron Labels (at least comparing to RGAIX6U with Bare Knuckles). None of the Iron Labels comes with hardcases (not even a softcase)?

Advices will be highly appricated. :-)
Last edited by makatech at Aug 8, 2017,
The Prestige guitars are just better made instruments in general. Better hardware, better fretwork, just better everywhere except perhaps the pickups in the lower-end Prestiges. Though pickups can always be upgraded.

They might not look as pretty as the Indo-made Iron Labels, but Fujigen craftsmanship just cannot be beaten.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Prestige guitars are just better made instruments in general. Better hardware, better fretwork, just better everywhere except perhaps the pickups in the lower-end Prestiges. Though pickups can always be upgraded.

They might not look as pretty as the Indo-made Iron Labels, but Fujigen craftsmanship just cannot be beaten.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I have heard rumours that 2016 & 2017 Iron Labels are being better than earlier but I assume the Prestige is still much higher quality in general.

Regarding Prestige I am curious about the RG652FX. If not being able to find one on the used market the new price is ok too (touching my limit though). Not sure if this is regarded to be a low end Prestige or perhaps nothing to worry about?

What about the pickups, DiMarzio Air Norton & The Tone Zone have good reputation in general and should be fine for metal?

RG652FX
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=200&color=CL01

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg652fx_gk.htm
The Tone Zone and Air Nortons are very versatile. They're just good all round pickups for lots of different styles. Definitely a lot better than the Ibanez V8's found stock in some of the other lower-end Prestiges.

There hasn't been a single Prestige I've tried that didn't play really well, regardless of the price.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Tone Zone and Air Nortons are very versatile. They're just good all round pickups for lots of different styles. Definitely a lot better than the Ibanez V8's found stock in some of the other lower-end Prestiges.

There hasn't been a single Prestige I've tried that didn't play really well, regardless of the price.

Great, about the RG652 I see it comes in other colours as well, not sure if I like the galaxy black one, I will need to ask my daughter. ;-) I'm pretty sure she will love both of them, perhaps only remarking on the rosewood fretboard.

RG652LWFX-AGB (Anvil Gray Burst) 
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=178&color=CL01

which I suppose is exactly the same specs as the RG652FX in galaxy black.
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=200&color=CL01

I guess the 25,5 scale length isn't a big issue comparing to the ones with 26,5 (for downtuning)?
Scale length differences are something you quickly get used to, even with little hands. And if it's your daughter that you're buying this guitar for, then perhaps she can just grow into it. If you're doing a lot of downtuning with this guitar, the extended scale length is going to be very helpful.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Scale length differences are something you quickly get used to, even with little hands. And if it's your daughter that you're buying this guitar for, then perhaps she can just grow into it. If you're doing a lot of downtuning with this guitar, the extended scale length is going to be very helpful.

Ok, well, I have difficulties in finding any six string 26,5 scale Ibanez Prestige with hardtail at all but I assume they exist?

The only six string 26,5 with hardtail I find now are the new RGD ones which I believe belongs to the Iron Label series (thus Indonesia made):

RGDIX6PB
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=231&color=CL01 

RGDIX6MPB
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=229&color=CL01

RGDIX6MRW
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=230&color=CL01
there are prestige rgd's.
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_series17.php?cat_id=1&area_id=3&year=2017&series_id=3&pre=1

these come in a six as well but they aren't on the website anymore. Actually I'm wrong...I could have sworn there were 6 string hardtail rgd's. looks like only sevens.

The rgdix I've tried are very good though.

the rgaix's are very good too. But if you think the prestiges are better then just grab one of those.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Aug 8, 2017,
There was a hard tail RGD Prestige that was 26.5", but they don't make them any longer. And it was a 7 string as well. There were a couple standard ones, the RGD321/421. Not sure how easy it is to block Edge Zero trems, but maybe the RGD2120Z would be an option: 6 string 26.5" Prestige.

Another idea would be to get an Iron Label and have a fret job done by a good luthier?

I had looked at going with a RGDIX6MPB for drop A, but ended up just using the transpose on my Kemper :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
There was a hard tail RGD Prestige that was 26.5", but they don't make them any longer. And it was a 7 string as well. There were a couple standard ones, the RGD321/421. Not sure how easy it is to block Edge Zero trems, but maybe the RGD2120Z would be an option: 6 string 26.5" Prestige.

Another idea would be to get an Iron Label and have a fret job done by a good luthier?

I had looked at going with a RGDIX6MPB for drop A, but ended up just using the transpose on my Kemper :P

You feel the fret job is the weakest point for the Indonesian made Iron Labels?
Quote by DarthV

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, well, I haven't decided yet what to go for but I am not in a hurry. I may continue to keep an eye on the used market for a while.

The Iron Labels I mentioned in my first post all look very appealilng, only question mark is Indonesian quality and used market value. I would be able to get  the black sparkle RG652FX (Prestige) for almost the same price (depending on which Iron Label we compare to), including a hardcase.  The anvil gray burst RG652LWFX-AGB is a bit more expensive than the black sparkle one but sooner or later an offer will come.

If going for a 26,5 I will probably get one of RGDIX ones, good price level but no hardcase and will probably loose value quickly on the used market anyway.

So far we have only bought used guitars because we have enjoyed testing differerent guitars.

Yeah, still insecure how to value a 26,5 scale length comparing to 25,5... so far they haven't played much "heavy downtuning" (mostly D and E) what I know even though I know the guys are heavily influenced by bands using lower tunings.
Quote by makatech
You feel the fret job is the weakest point for the Indonesian made Iron Labels?

I've only tried out a couple Iron Labels and the frets definitely could have been better, but I'm also a Prestige snob (own 8 MiJ). And those were models from the first year of production. Other than that, they are using a 3 piece laminate neck (should be very stable), very good Gotoh locking machine heads and a decent bridge (haven't heard anything bad about them).

Also noticed you mentioned different tunings. How many and which ones? Trying to play standard E and drop C on the same set of strings might not work out so well :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
I've only tried out a couple Iron Labels and the frets definitely could have been better, but I'm also a Prestige snob (own 8 MiJ). And those were models from the first year of production. Other than that, they are using a 3 piece laminate neck (should be very stable), very good Gotoh locking machine heads and a decent bridge (haven't heard anything bad about them).

Also noticed you mentioned different tunings. How many and which ones? Trying to play standard E and drop C on the same set of strings might not work out so well :P

;-) yeah, you are right about the tunings, well, they are young (16 & 17 years old) and experimenting. My impression is that the guys definately would like (and aim for) more down tuned songs but so far they haven't done much (mostly standard, drop d and d). I know they are heavily influenced by bands using lower tunings though.

I'm aware of what you are saying. Lower tuning will require different set of strings and perhaps a new setup as well.

We have the digitech drop pedal which is well.... "ok" for practice but nothing you want live. Also we have a LP Studio tuned in standard.
Quote by makatech
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, well, I haven't decided yet what to go for but I am not in a hurry. I may continue to keep an eye on the used market for a while.

The Iron Labels I mentioned in my first post all look very appealilng, only question mark is Indonesian quality and used market value. I would be able to get  the black sparkle RG652FX (Prestige) for almost the same price (depending on which Iron Label we compare to), including a hardcase.  The anvil gray burst RG652LWFX-AGB is a bit more expensive than the black sparkle one but sooner or later an offer will come.

If going for a 26,5 I will probably get one of RGDIX ones, good price level but no hardcase and will probably loose value quickly on the used market anyway.

So far we have only bought used guitars because we have enjoyed testing differerent guitars.

Yeah, still insecure how to value a 26,5 scale length comparing to 25,5... so far they haven't played much "heavy downtuning" (mostly D and E) what I know even though I know they guys in the badn are heavily influenced by Periphery. 

Yeah, if you're ok with waiting, can't beat the value of used Prestige models. That's how I've bought mine. Hell, a new RG652+tax would be as much as I spent on a mint rg1570, mint RG2570, mine RGA121 and a dinged up RG2550e combined!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Yeah, if you're ok with waiting, can't beat the value of used Prestige models. That's how I've bought mine. Hell, a new RG652+tax would be as much as I spent on a mint rg1570, mint RG2570, mine RGA121 and a dinged up RG2550e combined!

I found this "offer" on the black sparkle RG652FX (£878).
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-RG652FX-Prestige-Galaxy-Black/1G7Q

(Comparing to  £1099 for the one in anvil grey burst)

£878 is not that bad considering a Japan made Prestige with a high quality hardcase included. Iron Label guitars comes with no case at all I think, not even a softcase?

Of course, used guitars will always provide the best deals anyway.

Do you have good experience from the RGA121?
Haven't really kept up with prices, but if that's the lowest price and you don't want a fancier top, go for it?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Haven't really kept up with prices, but if that's the lowest price and you don't want a fancier top, go for it?

Well, for new guitars £878 for the Prestige (RG652FX model) is comparable to the Iron Lables in price but I will wait anyway, I want to follow the used market for a while. :-) Also I need to think about the scale (25,5 vs 26,5).

I feel the used market for Prestige guitars with six string hardtails is a bit limited though.

the back five I have had around for quite a while. all prestige. all models equally equipped for metal. one in the back row is a hard tail which i really like. i use the models with tremolos the most though tbh that is part of the superstrat package for me (i have other hardtail options that i would use first), but the tight end bridge is pretty awesome for a hardtail. one thing i do like about that bridge is that it feels pretty natural on the guitar. 
(the front row are fenders)

You can find a nice prestige any day of the week on reverb for under $600 in the states. the most i have ever paid for one was $600 in fact and that was my  hardtail model.

as far as the iron label goes, they are nice guitars, but they are not near equal to a prestige. every time i have looked at an iron label I have bought a prestige. not much of a price difference.

as far as aesthetics go, ibanez is putting some cool stuff on the newer models that we haven't had before as far as flavors but i am happy where i iam.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, we want a hardtail in this case, that's for sure.

It's a great used market for Ibanez Prestige with FRs, I fully agree with that, fantastic value.

I will look at other brands too, Jackson, Schecter, Washburn, ESP, perhaps even Chapman guitars. The RG652FX Prestige is interesting though, especially if finding a used one including the hardcase.

I feel that judging quality on the 2016 & 2017 Iron Labels is a very difficult one, especially with all the Prestige fans out there. ;-) Honestly I find the USA & Japan vs the rest of the world to be a bit annoying (talking guitar quality). Feels like Ibanez in Indonesia really stepped it up, Gotoh locking tuners, more variation in pickups, scale length and they look nice, but not sure if it is enough quality wise. Like somebody wisely wrote here budgeting for a fret job may be advisable if going for one. Then I assume everything should be fine even though it definately won't hold value like a used Prestige. I'm still a bit curious in a 26.5 scale RGD model (Iron Label).

The great thing with buying a used Prestige is that we should be able to try it out and sell it without loosing anything at all if we don't like it, of course this is a very attractive option. This is the tactics we have had so far with our guitars and it has worked out great.

I heard that Ola Englund now will be creating his own brand, I am very, very curious to see where he is going to manufacture his guitars.

Question: How many different Prestige models with hardtails exist?
RGA121
RGA321
RG652 

Which more?
Last edited by makatech at Aug 9, 2017,
You may not need any fret work done, I haven't tried an IL lately. Indo factories are getting pretty damn good now, so who knows. And it's not just used Prestige, any used guitar you buy will be at a decent price. Someone else has taken the depreciation hit :P In the US, and up until the CAD fell, & Canada, there was a LOT of used Prestiges to buy at great prices.

There is a current S Prestige that's a hard tail (s55something) and I remember they had one RG 10th Anniversary Prestige hardtail, the RG1421?, older rg1521 and the RG1451 (has scratch plate).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Ibanez Prestige > Ibanez Premium. You can easily verify that from their website. 

Also, keep in mind that a used instrument isn't a bad thing. As soon as you buy that new Premium, the price drops by 25% as soon as you walk out of the store, at least to most potential buyers. 

The fit and finish of my RG1820X was flawless. When I took it to get pleked, the guy operating the machine told me it was one of the finest instruments he had every done the job on. Fantastic build quality. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Quote by AcousticMirror
there are prestige rgd's.
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_series17.php?cat_id=1&area_id=3&year=2017&series_id=3&pre=1

these come in a six as well but they aren't on the website anymore. Actually I'm wrong...I could have sworn there were 6 string hardtail rgd's. looks like only sevens.

The rgdix I've tried are very good though.

the rgaix's are very good too. But if you think the prestiges are better then just grab one of those.

Agreed. The used prices on the non-MIJ ones are outstanding, but then, so are the used Prestige 6s.
$600 can't buy you a better guitar than a ibby rg prestige.

i got my second one for $350 lolzzz
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ippon

I mean it's not like prestiges hold their value very well either. The premiums and iron labels lose less as a percentage of their new value.

Quote by AcousticMirror
Ippon

I mean it's not like prestiges hold their value very well either. The premiums and iron labels lose less as a percentage of their new value.

Exactly. I've seen older Prestiges for $300 on eBay, more on CL. I got my minty RG8527s for stupid prices from Japan a few years ago, after they came out.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Ippon

yeah i mean people often say that dearer stuff usually holds its value better- i'm not sure that's true. even if it is, they usually mean as a percentage (which normally equates to losing more money, lol).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

Nothing loses value faster then a used prestige. At least they don't keep depreciating like cars.

Interesting subject.

In Sweden I have the feeling Ibanez guitars in general loose value more than other premium brands and my own theory/guess behind this is because most of them are equipped with Floyd Rose.

Another theory is that the market are flooded with Ibanez guitars. In Sweden we love metal and metal players tend to like Ibanez. More bands and electric guitar players these days do lots of downtuning (or various tunings) and then a hardtail may be more convenient.

They offer amazing value, that's for sure. Perhaps the best value for money on the entire used market.

Also, regarding used guitars...it all depends on the price. If you are lucky enough to get one for a good price then most of the times you will not loose anything at all if keeping it about one year or so, perhaps even able to sell it for a higher price. The problem is that the process of selling a guitar can be rather time consuming and frustrating...

If you know what you are doing then the used market is amazing for trying out gear and trying to find what suits you.
Last edited by makatech at Aug 10, 2017,
If I lived in Sweden I'd be outside strandberg every day waiting for a sale.

I have read rumours about DiMarzio The Tone Zone being muddy in bridge position, what's your experiences? Perhaps this is also depending on type of wood?

Asking this because  RG652s have The Tone Zone in bridge position.
Prestige without doubt. Forget Iron Label and Premium, Prestige's aren't perfect either. Keep in mind there are like 3 prestige factories. I would buy a used Prestige and get it set up. Check for fret wear and ask him what tunings the guitar has been in over its life. If it's remained the same and the frets aren't too bad go for it.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Dave_Mc

Nothing loses value faster then a used prestige. At least they don't keep depreciating like cars.

haha yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by makatech
I have read rumours about DiMarzio The Tone Zone being muddy in bridge position, what's your experiences? Perhaps this is also depending on type of wood?

Asking this because  RG652s have The Tone Zone in bridge position.

I don't think so, at least the guitars I have them in (not an ibanez, though- an MIJ charvel and a lag superstrat). They are dark-sounding, but they're reasonably tight on the bass considering how dark they are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?