Page 1 of 2
What the title says.

When someone makes even an offhand comment about killing themselves, I ask them to promise me just as they're about to do it, they'll call me and let me talk to them.

I dunno what I'd actually do, I'd just tell them I love them and care and know they're suffering, and I'd try to contact their family or the police at the same time.

I despise the guilt-tripping and platitudes most people use on people who are suicidal, and how mental illness is everyone's immediate diagnosis. 'Permanent solution to a temporary problem' is the worst.
Be like
"I've got ice cream cake..."

Or if they're fat, just tell 'em they look sexy IDK.
Couldn't hurt to think that somebody could like them.

I mean, if you're talking to someone who's about to do it and you want to talk them out of it.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Aug 8, 2017,
Try and take them for a beer and chat or whatever.

Make them feel like a human instead of a problem, basically.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
First of all, if you don't really know them, then you can't say you love them. It's a touchy subject and they may not appreciate it. Care is about all you have to offer them and sadly, that's not always enough. Though, consistently showing it over time can make them feel valued. Calling the police/family probably wouldn't help anything either. They may feel like it's a betrayal of trust since they called you for help, not them.

Honestly, most of us don't know what to say. That's why instead of persuading them to call you before they act, you should insist they get proper help. If it's an immediate danger, insist they call the suicide hotline. Idk if they can be classified as trained professionals, but they know what to say and probably say it every day. So if there's anyone to handle these things, it'd be them. Be sure to share that number around.

If it's something they often think about, insist they get help by seeing a psychiatrist who can possibly start them on anti-depressants. Of course, there's people who offer that help for free if it costs too much (again suicide hotline is a go-to). It's also important that the people who do care about them are made aware of their mental illness and act accordingly.

Most importantly, make sure you show that you care. It's easier to say that you care than it is to show it. Especially through the internet. If possible, do things for them that both symbolizes a positive future and a place for you in their life.

I'm no expert, but that's the way I think it should be.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Aug 8, 2017,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
First of all, if you're not an immediate part of their life, then you can't say you love them. Love is a touchy subject and they may not appreciate it. Care is about all you have to offer them and sadly, that's not always enough. Calling the police/family probably wouldn't help anything either. They may feel like it's a betrayal of trust since they called you for help, not them.

Honestly, most of us don't know what to say. That's why instead of persuading them to call you before they act, you should insist they get proper help. If it's an immediate danger, insist they call the suicide hotline. Idk if they can be classified as trained professionals, but they know what to say and probably say it every day. So if there's anyone to handle these things, it'd be them. Be sure to share that number around.

If it's something they often think about, insist they get help by seeing a psychiatrist who can possibly start them on anti-depressants. Of course, there's people who offer that help for free if it costs too much (again suicide hotline is a go-to). It's also important that the people who do care about them are made aware of their mental illness and act accordingly.

Most importantly, make sure you show that you care. It's easier to say that you care than it is to show it. Especially through the internet. If possible, do things for them that both symbolizes a positive future and a place for you in their life.

I'm no expert, but that's the way I think it should be.

I don't mean randos lol.
Care and love stem from the same place.
A betrayal of trust that keeps them alive and brings actual attention to their problem and gets them help is okay imo.
Recommending professional help almost never works, makes them feel like you're saying 'aint my problem, stop being a drama queen' and you can't do that just over an offhand comment because they might actually be joking.
I feel like I wouldn't be the right person to do that tbhtbh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Spinnerweb
I don't mean randos lol.
Care and love stem from the same place.
If it's within family, then yea, nvm.

A betrayal of trust that keeps them alive and brings actual attention to their problem and gets them help is okay imo.
Of course it's a good thing in our eyes, but telling them "I broke your trust for your own good" only makes it harder for them to trust anyone, which is crucial if you want them to act rationally. You have to bring it to attention the right way.

Recommending professional help almost never works, makes them feel like you're saying 'aint my problem, stop being a drama queen' and you can't do that just over an offhand comment because they might actually be joking.
"almost never works"
Sources? Cause I don't know this to be true or not and I kind of doubt it. Not that I think it should stop anyone from doing it anyways.

And see, the way you present yourself (as a caring/loving individual) matters a lot here too. I know there's people out there who do take it that way, but that's why it's just as important that you suggest they do so from a positive perspective that will benefit them. In other words, it's your job as a caring individual to make them not see it that way.

Alternatively, you can always call the hotline yourself and have them call him/her directly, or you can just tell them about the person yourself and they'll give you tips. You really have no excuse as far as professional help goes.

Not really sure how to work with people who might be joking about it, myself. Just keep an eye out for the signs that they're not.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Aug 8, 2017,
If somebody with an anime avatar talked to me it'd push me over the edge.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Probably just ignore it until the problem goes away, works most of the time.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
The first thing to do is try to understand WHY they want to kill themselves.
That's the root of the problem they have, and in a lot situations people can't simply "solve" their emotional issues or change their past.

Anyways, this post is already too serious, so here's a meme :

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by ErikLensherr
If somebody with an anime avatar talked to me it'd push me over the edge.
Hi.
"Look, I'm not killing myself, and this is my real face, no joke. If I can find a reason to live, so can you"
Ewwww -ded-
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Homicide is the obvious answer. They can't kill themselves if you do it first.

Quote by ErikLensherr
I feel like I wouldn't be the right person to do that tbhtbh.

tbhtbh I agree Erik wouldn't be the right person tbhtbh
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Get them to buy Bancor (BNT), and then keep them alive for about 6 months afterwards. They might end up still doing it, but at least they'll be going out in style with a couple lambos in the garage.
I've done it a couple of times. Pretty scary stuff. The best tip I can give is to try to get them to explain their problems, why they're feeling the way they are, really get them talking about it in depth and really listen. They'll get into explanation mode, which hopefully gets them thinking more logically, you intently listening and letting them let it all out shows that you really care about them, and it gives you more to work with for knowing what to say. It's a pretty delicate situation.
In the UK? I just saw that Union Jack there attached to this thread.
We don't have ice cream cake.
Be like "I've got drugs..."
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Spinnerweb You need to know if they have made preparations. Then talk to them about the consequences if their attempt fails, like will they suffer brain damage or worse.
I would tell them you can't spell suicide without cide, and I'll always be by yours.
"bro, are you sure?  i like having you around"

"yea"

"aite then"
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Not sure. Maybe I would suggest they look through old baby/childhood photographs and really think about whether or not they want to kill that happy, cute little kid.
(which probably wouldn't help most suicidal people at all; meh.. I suck).
Quote by Nelshizzle
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2496-meet-cop-whos-saved-over-200-lives-and-counting.html

Great read. Cracked has been in a decline for a while, but this article is very insightful.

Kevin lost two people that he spoke with. One moment they were there, chatting with him, and the next they ... weren't. "One gentleman, he was a really nice guy, not under the influence, dressed nice ... he just wouldn't answer questions. He'd chit-chat a little bit, but wouldn't say what had gone on in his life. Wouldn't give me his name. He was really polite, and he actually shook my hand three times. And on the third time he said, 'Kevin, I want to thank you, but I have to go.' And he jumped. I remember tearing up right when it happened. I just couldn't believe it. It was really, really tough." 

Jesus christ that part got me.
I've had multiple suicides in my family. Two aunts and one uncle. 

I'm not ashamed to talk about it and I'm sure as hell not afraid to give advice. You talk to them, console them, find out what's bothering them, did they seek out help, and if at any point you feel the are still going through with it or have made up their mind on committing suicide you have them committed to a hospital. You don't screw around with this and you don't give them a single chance to kill themselves. It may not seem like it now to them, but there is so much to live for. One bad time on your life should not be the end. 

Even if they never talk to you again for having them committed for making sure they live their life isn't worth losing at all costs. The point is that they live and stay alive.  

Having someone committed is the absolute last thing you should do, but if it comes down to it its a hard step to take. It literally means they live or die. Sadly even that won't work depending on how depressed they are. 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
You'll probably never talk them out of it if they've decided that's what they want to do. Its sad that there isn't an easy fix for this stuff but that's life. 

That being said, sometimes its hard for some people to really say how they feel or admit they aren't doing too well and need help. All we can really do is try and be there for them and support them to the best of our abilities. Communication and understanding is really the thing that I think is really important and is lacking even amongst friends and families.  
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
IMO, the main thing is that you talk to them, and also listen to them. Try to understand what they're going through, and see if you can offer them some hope, let them know that just because they feel this way now, doesn't mean they'll always have to feel that way, even if they've felt that way for a long time and don't see how it could change. It's like they're stumbling around in a huge, completely dark room trying to find a lightswitch. You have to help them believe it's really there.
"do you really want the last time you had sex to be the last time?"
Check out my band Disturbed
You don't, you call the cops and let mental health professionals handle it. You don't have a decade of psychology training. You'll just fuck it up.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Don't wait until they're about to do it, if you know someone has been having suicidal thoughts keep them close, talk to them and SEEK PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE.
Anything a person having suicidal thoughts want is either a reason to live, a reason that's better than the reasons they have to die, or attention (not being rude, that actually happens, especially with younger people, some people even make suicidal attempts expecting them to fail). That's considering the suicidal thoughts come mostly out of an emotional problem, there are some specific mental diseases that can cause a person to have suicidal thoughts, especially ones that cause hallucinations and delusions.

If you know the person well you may be able to help them see a reason to live but if you wait for them to get ready to do end it all that will be very hard. At that point the person is too hopeless and has already thought about ending their life over and over again. If someone calls you telling they're about to end their life call the cops immediately.

I've had serious suicidal thoughts in the past, I've got to the point of planning and everything, thankfully my mother noticed I wasn't well and sought a professional to help. If I got to the point where I had everything I needed in front of me I would have done it and no one on a phone would be able to stop me.
Last edited by mp8andrade at Aug 9, 2017,
There is no blanket strategy here, depending on what kind of person they're like when they're suicidal. For example I used to be excessively violent when suicidal and if someone tried to physically stop me I would have fought back, however a friend of mine would be very weakened when they wanted to try and kill themselves, I could walk up to them and say anything and they'd just listen blankly.
First things first, police and medical professionals are number one (although mental health facilities and practices in some places are rather abysmal, it's still probably more effective than anything an individual can do), then with them hopefully on the way, the easiest place to start is asking them what is wrong, and just listening. Failing that, distraction is probably the next best bet, but is something that has to be picked well, and is difficult if you don't know the person, but it works if pulled off right.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Aug 9, 2017,
I think there is some statistic out there that huge majority of failed suicide attempts, the people say that they realized halfway through the attempt that they did not want to and regretted making that decision.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Page 1 of 2