Greeting folks,

I have some shallow scratches where my sharp pick misses the string occasionally or from traveling with my guitar.

I'm wondering, is there a product or method I could use to smoothly fill in or take out some thin scratches in the clear coat of my guitar?
If the clear coat is polyurethane (be dead sure!), you may use PlastX, a clear plastic cleaner and polish used for clearing up the plastic headlights of automobiles.

It works like paste wax; you apply a thin covering and let it dry for about three minutes, then use a dry paper towel to rub it off. After about 10 seconds of rubbing you will feel it get "slick and frictionless"... that is because the way it works is it very slightly melts the polyurethane, very slowly, just a few molecular layers at a time. You keep rubbing it for a few minutes until all the PlastX is gone, then very carefully wipe the whole thing with some damp paper towels.

The result is a glass-like smooth mirror finish; all the microscopic scratches from use and handling will be gone. If you do this every time you change strings, the bigger scratches will begin to disappear as well. When you get to where it looks perfect, put the PlastX bottle away and just do the process once or twice a year when the finish begins to look a little "foggy" from more acquired micro-scratches.

The amount of poly removed is so little you can do this for many years without concern... but be absolutely sure you finish is polyurethane.

Polyurethane as a clear coat tends to absorb ultra-violet light and eventually take on a surface tint of light yellow, which tends to make red guitars eventually look more orange, blue look more green, black not as dark, white look more cream, and green shift to a softer green. When you refinish an older guitar with PlastX you may notice the clearing of the poly coat brings the appearance of the original color back, so don't be alarmed.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Was I supposed to be fixing my dents, dings, and scratches?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by claptrap2
Greeting folks,

I have some shallow scratches where my sharp pick misses the string occasionally or from traveling with my guitar.

I'm wondering, is there a product or method I could use to smoothly fill in or take out some thin scratches in the clear coat of my guitar?

Beside asking for a way remove the scratches, what exactly are you going to do differently with your technique to prevent those scratches from reappearing in the future?

It's stuff like that which makes minor scratches and imperfections a bit pointless to repair. Minor scratches and dents are an inevitability over time no matter how much you mollycoddle your guitar. So it's only when they're extremely visible and unsightly that I would bother to consider repairing them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE True. I got a hard case recently so that should help reduce the number of marks being made in it. I wouldn't care if it was a cheaper guitar but this is a fairly nice one by my standards so I was curious if there were any methods worth at least trying