Just recently got my EC-1000 and it is one of the older models with the Sperzel locking tuners. Never owned one of these, nor had a guitar with these type of tuners, so do I have to unscrew the locking mechanism each time I restring? How do they work exactly? I'd imagne once you restring and tune the strings to the right tone, you screw down the locking screw to 'seal' the tune in?

I asked the guy who sold it to me, and he said even he didn't ever really look into how they worked. He just said he would always unscrew the Sperzels all the way, restring, then tighten them down again. It's tuned now to Drop C with great action and intonation, but he advised me to switch to lower gauge strings if going up to Drop D/E Standard, so I was just curious what I needed to do when restringing it in the near future.

Thanks!

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Here's a good visual of how they work:

Basically there is a post that pinches the string in place once you tighten the thumb screw down. Unfortunately this does not guarantee the strings staying in tune, but it can help. His advice on how to restring it is correct.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 8, 2017,
ExDementia

Thanks! Seemed simple enough...guess I was just nuking it.

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
To take a string off:

- turn the tuning key to detune until the string is limp slack
- unscrew the lock just enough that the string is loose
- remove the string

To put a string on:

- turn the tuning key to align the hole to the string
- loosen the lock enough to pass the string straight through the hole but do not tighten yet
- check that the string is correct at the bridge and pull it so it is straight all the way through the peg hole
- turn the tuning key as if tightening the string so that the peg rotates 15 degrees
- now tighten the lock just so that it just makes light contact with the string
- turn the tuning key 180 degrees
- tighten the lock so just barely light firm
- tighten the lock so light firm
- tighten the lock so moderately firm
- tighten the lock so its good and firm
- tune to pitch

Do not over tighten the lock (they are designed to function for all possible guitarists, tightened with no more strength level than anticipated from average youngsters and teenage girls)

The reason for the gradual back and forth between the tuning key and the lock is to prevent the pressure pin inside the hollow peg column from meeting the string dead on square center of its width. If that happens the string is pinched between two contacts and may be damaged to the point that it breaks under stress. The idea is to ensure that the pin contacts the string a little off-set from center so it gets pushed where there are three contact surfaces to distribute the force holding the string - those three surfaces are the pin, the upper inside sidewall of the peg column, and the inside top of the column. This provides a very secure triangular hold of the string without squeezing it into deformation. 
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
PlusPaul

Wow! Much more than I expected anyone to type, but thanks very much for the protip!

Will ensure it gets done proper when I restring it next time.

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables