I'm leaning towards using a Quilter 101 as the base amp because of weight and pedal-friendly angles. Music target is going to be heavy, deathcore, death, djent/prog-influences.

I'm not sure I want a bazillion pedals, so an MFX is coming off as very attractive and budget friendly. Boss comes up a lot, but I'm not sure if it's simply because of their prolific nature in the field. It does seem that the $300 and below market offers a decent array of options, but I'm not sure where to aim. It looks like a Boss GT-8 is easily available for $200-ish, as well as the GT-4 on occasion. I think that I'd be using at least an OD/Distortion and Compressor simutaneously, something I can't pull off with my Vypyr 30. I also see that MFX are generally reliable, so that compounds my decisions based on my particular direction. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Used: Line 6 M9 or M13 can be had $300 and under. Same with HD500, 400, 300, etc. if you want something with an expression pedal.
TC Electronic Nova System.
Boss GT10 or ME80
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
bjgrifter

I can't speak to the MFX, but a 201 or Mach 2 might be better suited to those genres than the 101. Those are the ones I typically see in Quilter demos for heavier genres.

Better yet, you might email Quilter directly. I had some questions about their stuff, and Pat Quilter himself responded.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Personally I'd buy a Line 6 HD500. They go used here in Australia all the time for $300 so i imagine you get them used for 200 usd
+1 to vayne92
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Excellent suggestions, guys. I e-mailed Quilter, no reply yet. I do like the 101's headphone jack, but the HD500 also gives me that option.

Price checked the HD500's, and those easily fall in range. I think I'm dismissing them because of the flack on the Spider amps, when outside of that, they seem to have pretty decent stuff. Either way, $250 seems a fairly common price for used ones.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
Excellent suggestions, guys. I e-mailed Quilter, no reply yet. I do like the 101's headphone jack, but the HD500 also gives me that option.

Price checked the HD500's, and those easily fall in range. I think I'm dismissing them because of the flack on the Spider amps, when outside of that, they seem to have pretty decent stuff. Either way, $250 seems a fairly common price for used ones.

The headphone thing at Quilter has always been a puzzler for me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

bjgrifter spiders are a whole different world than the top end processors
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup Yeah, and yet I'm not like "Oh, Marshall is crap because of the MGs."
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter

You can't discredit an entire brand because of one bad product. Every top brand has a bunch of shitty low budget gear. That would be like assuming Marshall is a bad brand because of the MG amps when in fact Marshall is possibly the most recognized brand for amps on the planet.
With that being said Line 6 make some very good products, the HD500 being one of them. I assume you already know you'll need an output device of some sort with a multieffects unit. If you don't already have any sort of output for a multieffects unit be sure you don't go cheap on that either. Nothing worse than a shitty set of speakers.
Yeah, I'm still sorting out the amp too...which is why I'm asking now rather than when I'm ready to drop the cash. A pair of speakers would probably be a good investment as well, but the MFX/Pedal and amp is the main focus right now.  I'd rather ask now and weight my options instead of buying something and then go "Oh, shit, that didn't work".
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
Yeah, I'm still sorting out the amp too...which is why I'm asking now rather than when I'm ready to drop the cash. A pair of speakers would probably be a good investment as well, but the MFX/Pedal and amp is the main focus right now.  I'd rather ask now and weight my options instead of buying something and then go "Oh, shit, that didn't work".

Years ago i ran a HD500 through an Orange PPC112 and i loved it
No amp? 
I've heard good things about Orange cabs.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
No amp? 
I've heard good things about Orange cabs.

I powered it through the return of an Orange Dark Terror but obviously there are other alternatives
Right now, Quilter is looking good, and Pat did reply to me and suggested what danny's been saying about the 200 series. My goal (lol) is to have this be "the one" as far as the amp/FX portion goes, and keep the whole thing (amp+cab/FX) under $1000. The metaphor of having multiple ways to skin cats comes to mind. 

Guitars are easy, but the amps are hard.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
HD500 + EV ZLX 12-P= Done!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
bjgrifter
Guitars are easy, but the amps are hard.

So, so true.

If you can get a used one, I have a lot of fun with my Firehawk FX.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Used: Line 6 M9 or M13 can be had $300 and under. Same with HD500, 400, 300, etc. if you want something with an expression pedal.
TC Electronic Nova System.
Boss GT10 or ME80

Highly recommend the Nova System. It's absolutely brilliant. I use it myself as a multi-effect and a MIDI controller for my Tech 21 preamp. The delays are especially pretty
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.