So I broke my hand and will probably be needing surgery. It's a rough estimate of 4 month recovery.

Has anyone had a similar injury and how did it affect your "guitar skills"?
I knew a guy who broke his hand pretty substantially a good few years back, when I saw his band again later that year he'd actually improved quite a lot.  Don't know him any more, but he could definitely shred.

Realistically, as long as you allow your hand to rest, recover, and heal properly, you'll lose a bit of time but it shouldn't matter in the long run.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Which hand..

If it's not your fretting hand then I can think of no better time to practice your legato. 4 months of legato practice and you'll improve tremendously. You'll probably even look back a few years from now and think god I'm glad I broke my hand that one time.
If you did break your fretting hand then I'd just let it heal. Maybe you can dedicate 10 minutes a day to some picking practice but beyond that there's only so much you can do.

EDIT: You could dedicate your time to learning some theory or even composing in Guitar Pro or something.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 9, 2017,
Yeah I've been reading some theory lately since I neglected 100%...and I did break my fretting hand. Surgery tomorrow!
Ouch. No advice on the fretting hand, but I broke two metacarpals in my picking hand and also have osteoarthritis in that hand now after that injury. I actually eventually had to step down as guitarist in my band, as my hand would cramp and seize up, and I was unable to keep up with the more technical direction our band was taking.

I still play guitar plenty, just less overall, and I play less physically demanding stuff now (I have trouble especially with alternate picking accurately across strings now).

Good luck in the surgery, I have talked to others who have experienced similar injuries and come out just fine.
So it's been about 9 days since surgery and I started playing a little bit. Playing a c chord is painful and hard to do in time but playing seems to help out a lot in the physical therapy aspect. Feels good to be jamming though!
ImDesigner I'm going to echo what I said earlier: please be careful.  Pain is your body's way of telling you that something isn't good for you, and you should only play through it if you've been assured by a medical professional that it's all right to do so.

If you look around you can find all sorts of stories of musicians who've done themselves long term harm by not doing what the doctors told them.  Not even just limited to guitar: look at James Labrie, the vocalist from Dream Theater.  He had an injury to his vocal chords in 1994, and toured in 1995 anyway, despite doctors saying he shouldn't... he still hasn't fully recovered his range, and has said that he didn't even feel really right until 2002.  That's 7 years just to feel like normal.

I'm not trying to be a huge scaremonger, I just want you to be mindful and to look after yourself.  It may mean a few extra weeks until you can play again, but if it means being able to keep playing for many more years to the best of your ability, surely that's a worthy tradeoff?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I appreciate the advice and I will definitely listen. I have been in some pain and havnt been playing, I just hope for a healthy recovery at this point.

Havnt heard of Dave hole but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the share