Page 1 of 2
This is always a hot topic on other music forums, so I wanted to see what the polar opposite thought. In my eyes his classics are...
The College Dropout (undeniable so don't say he has 0 classics to be edgy)
Graduation (biggest commercial hits, when you think of Ye, you think of this era)
808s and Heartbreak - (influenced artists like James Blake, Lorde, Drake, Tame Impala, countless others)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - (often regarded as the best album this decade or best hip-hop album ever)

So, what does The Pit think? BTW if you're not familiar with Kanye I highly suggest you check him out, I used to hate him too but once you get past the memes he's a great artist.
who?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by BiohazardABZ
he's a great artist.

What truth(s) did he reveal to you?
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Yeezus is my favorite
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Yeezus is my favorite

Yeezus is for sure the most polarizing album, I personally think it's his worst solo album, but for Kanye that still means it's a good project.
yeah fellas college dropout is still my favourite hip hop album of the 2000s

if that makes me a basic bitch then yeah so be it boys

Quote by MinterMan22
yeah fellas college dropout is still my favourite hip hop album of the 2000s

if that makes me a basic bitch then yeah so be it boys

same

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I would add Yeezus as a classic because it was so polarizing and such a big deal marketing wise.

College Dropout is the #1 most influential/classic/important/whatever
Graduation is the most popular
808 is the #2 most influential/classic/important/whatever
MBDTF is probably the "best"
Yeezus is the most controversial
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
You tell me a classic Kanye album and I'll show you a middle class white kid who has been hip hopping to it. He's not for me.

I dig your Captain Murphy avatar, Biohazard. 
white middle class af tbh

Quote by bradulator
white middle class af tbh

Oh I wasn't doubting it. There's certainly no need to flaunt it, you be you fella. We're all supportive. 
Amen brother

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.44321/title.chance-the-rapper-credits-kanye-west-for-helping-hip-hop-be-itself

Throughout the 30-minute podcast, the conversation traversed parenthood, the role mixtapes played in Chance’s career, and, most interestingly, the portrayal and acceptance of happiness in Hip Hop. “The construct of the bad boy image was very common,” said Stretch illustrating how Chance embodies how much the culture has shifted over the decades. “It was a darker time,” joked Bobbito.

Chance openly attributed the mainstream acceptance of his positive image to Kanye West. He explained that West was very open who he was, what he loved, and how he carried himself. Most importantly, he was open about who he wasn’t. He also noted that the current social media landscape makes it increasingly difficult to fake the funk. “If you’re rapping about being on the block, then you need to take selfies on the block,” he joked. “I’m lucky to have been accepted for who I am.”
graduation isn't a classic album just because the hits on it were given that on the whole it is relatively dull

I don't know that I'd call any of Kanye's albums classic but definitely college dropout has the strongest claim

besides that my beautiful dark whatever it's called definitely also has a shot

Id kind of like to argue for late registration also but I don't know that I could make a solid case for it

Like I get that there are cases for a couple of others but I think if you're defining classic by the same standards you would for any other artist, you've got two that are quite easy to justify (college dropout and mbdtfroflmfao) but 3 or 4 is the absolute maximum you could reasonably get away with
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
he has 0 classics to be edgy 
Not even with a gun to my head.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
graduation isn't a classic album just because the hits on it were given that on the whole it is relatively dull

I don't know that I'd call any of Kanye's albums classic but definitely college dropout has the strongest claim

besides that my beautiful dark whatever it's called definitely also has a shot

Id kind of like to argue for late registration also but I don't know that I could make a solid case for it

Like I get that there are cases for a couple of others but I think if you're defining classic by the same standards you would for any other artist, you've got two that are quite easy to justify (college dropout and mbdtfroflmfao) but 3 or 4 is the absolute maximum you could reasonably get away with

Actually you're right about Graduation.

808s kinda created its own branch of hop hop so I still put it as a classic due to its cultural significance.
Not a fan of his music personally, but I can't help but like the guy. He genuinely seems like quite a nice person

Actually, OP/any Kanye fans give me 3 songs to listen to, because tbf I've never properly listened to him
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Aug 10, 2017,
Quote by Spinnerweb
Zero?

My thoughts exactly. The last good rap/hip-hop album I heard was from Jurassic 5. Kanye is insane and married to a Kardashian, so who knows how fucked up he'll be.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
My thoughts exactly. The last good rap/hip-hop album I heard was from Jurassic 5. Kanye is insane and married to a Kardashian, so who knows how fucked up he'll be.
His lyrics are about transient contemporary pop culture. No one will give a shit about them in 10 years.

And before someone points to The College Dropout and wails, you only know about it because Kanye is big right now. He's not going to be the enduring star that, say, Steven Tyler is.
Last edited by Spinnerweb at Aug 10, 2017,
Bladez22
all falls down
diamonds from sierra leone (the version with jay z on it)
roses

Quote by Spinnerweb
His lyrics are about transient contemporary pop culture. No one will give a shit about them in 10 years.
i mean you say that but it's been ~13 years since college dropout and it's still recognised as a hugely influential album

Quote by bjgrifter
My thoughts exactly. The last good rap/hip-hop album I heard was from Jurassic 5.
not to be that guy but listen to kendrick lamar
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 10, 2017,
Quote by Spinnerweb
And before someone points to The College Dropout and wails, you only know about it because Kanye is big right now. He's not going to be the enduring star that, say, Steven Tyler is.
i mean be like that if you want but he's "big right now" because he's consistently produced successful music for the last however many years

people say that "it won't matter in 10 years" line about all successful music, every decade, and obviously some of it stands the test of time, some doesn't - kanye's already doing good in that regard
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3

i mean you say that but it's been ~13 years since college dropout and it's still recognised as a hugely influential album

Yea, but being influential and standing the test of time aren't really the same.

Full disclosure, I've only ever heard Kanye's singles(maybe once or twice) and cringed at his cover of Bohemian Rapsody from Glastonbury,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yea, but being influential and standing the test of time aren't really the same.
i would argue it's done both it's still a fun album to listen to because it's full of great hooks

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Full disclosure, I've only ever heard Kanye's singles(maybe once or twice) and cringed at his cover of Bohemian Rapsody from Glastonbury,
well yeah that was objectively awful
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by Spinnerweb

lmao
K33nbl4d3

I listened to all three, very agreeable music. I'd enjoy it while drunk but isn't something I'd listen to on my own/of my own accord

Steven Tyler looks like a wax model of himself that was left too near a window and melted in the sun slightly
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Aug 10, 2017,
I'm totally indifferent with the guy, I could care a less if he makes hit after hit or die's.
Flying in a blue dream
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Quote by BiohazardABZ
This is always a hot topic on other music forums, so I wanted to see what the polar opposite thought. In my eyes his classics are...
The College Dropout (undeniable so don't say he has 0 classics to be edgy)
Graduation (biggest commercial hits, when you think of Ye, you think of this era)
808s and Heartbreak - (influenced artists like James Blake, Lorde, Drake, Tame Impala, countless others)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - (often regarded as the best album this decade or best hip-hop album ever)

So, what does The Pit think? BTW if you're not familiar with Kanye I highly suggest you check him out, I used to hate him too but once you get past the memes he's a great artist.
I'll agree with all of this except for Graduation, I greatly dislike that album because I found it to be his point of no return until 808s came out and he redefined himself.
the only Kanye album i've listened to (beyond like his popular singles) is MBDTF and i didn't like it at all
best album this decade or best hip-hop album ever lmao
I wrote Kanye off as a talentless douchebag after his T-Swift debacle. "808s..." was the album that changed my mind about him being talentless. I still think he's a douchebag. 
I liked the life of pablo. Just felt like it could of been way better if every song didnt have some random ass sound clip in it.
Forgot I had this up haha, Lemme address a few things.
Quote by bjgrifter

If you are interested in any great recent hip-hop albums my suggestions would be DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar, 4:44 by Jay-Z, and Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples. Also him being insane is probably true lol but let's not act like that is a rarity for good musicians to have a few screws loose.
Quote by Spinnerweb

Kanye has been a big player in the hip-hop world since the late 90s, so if he is so heavily discussed right now, he won't be going anywhere. His music has very strong staying power, songs from College Dropout and Late Registration still sound fresh and powerful to this day.
Quote by Bladez22
   Not a fan of his music personally, but I can't help but like the guy. He genuinely seems like quite a nice person

Actually, OP/any Kanye fans give me 3 songs to listen to, because tbf I've never properly listened to him

CD- Spaceship
LR- Gone
Grad- Flashing Lights
808s- Paranoid
Dark Fantasy- Gorgeous
Yeezus- Blood on the Leaves
TLOP- Famous
These are some of my favorites from each record, they all vary in sound and I recommend anyone who thinks they take music seriously to check them out. A few even include irregular time signatures and guitars lol.
Quote by institutions
  the only Kanye album i've listened to (beyond like his popular singles) is MBDTF and i didn't like it at all
  best album this decade or best hip-hop album ever lmao

I'd recommend checking out The College Dropout, MBDTF is so grandiose it almost becomes overproduced at times.
Quote by Spidey93
 I wrote Kanye off as a talentless douchebag after his T-Swift debacle. "808s..." was the album that changed my mind about him being talentless. I still think he's a douchebag. 

This was the album that changed my mind about him too. The way he uses auto-tune paired with the instrumentals is unlike anything ever, creates such a unique vibe and makes for fantastic songs.
Quote by whywefight
Id say damn near every one of them besides his last, even though my enjoyment of them varies from album to album (and I loved tlop)

So yeah Im a Kanye whore

I would agree personally haha, he has so many amazing songs it's incredible. I saw him live last year and his performance is so powerful, rarely can artists do a 30 song set and have every song be a hit.
Quote by N8dagreat3
I liked the life of pablo. Just felt like it could of been way better if every song didnt have some random ass sound clip in it.

Pablo was rushed for sure, a lot of the samples can be offputting in general, it's my 2nd least favorite behind Yeezus but still overall a good album
Quote by BiohazardABZ
DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar
i know it's a bit older but I would always recommend good kid maad city over anything more recent from Kendrick

tpab and damn are undoubtedly great but they're both full of dense pretentious things too whereas good kid maad city is both incredibly good and very listenable
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Have to check out Kendrick Lamar. I have heard some Kanye, and while it's well done, I do think he's over-hyped. To be fair, I"m usually not big into hip-hop/rap, but I am partial to Ice Cube/NWA and Jay-Z on the stuff I've heard. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
even if humble was the best single of the year so far let's be real here damn kinda sucks

Page 1 of 2