Hi everyone! I want start learning to play electric guitar and I have never played any kind of guitars before. I play piano and a wind controller (similar to a wind instrument).

I did my research and ended up with to electric guitars to begin with:

1. Yamaha Pacifica 112v,
  2. Ibanez SA160.

Here are the specs of each:
Ibanez:

• Radius 15.75"
  • Fingerboard Material Rosewood
  • Fingerboard Inlay White dots
  • Number of Frets 22, Jumbo
  • Scale Length 25.5"
  • Nut Width 1.692"
  • Nut Material Plastic
  • Bridge/Tailpiece SAT Pro II Tremolo
  • Tuners Ibanez machine heads
  • Neck Pickup Quantum single-coil
  • Middle Pickup Quantum single-coil
  • Bridge Pickup Quantum humbucker
  • Controls 1 x master volume, 1 x master tone, 5-way blade pickup switch
  • Strings D'Addario EXL120 (.009-.042)

Yamaha:

• Body: Solid alder
  • Neck: Maple
  • Construction: Bolt-on
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Frets: 22
  • Bridge: Vintage-style tremolo with block Saddles
  • Pickups: 2 single-coil and Alnico V magnet humbucker
  • Pickup switch: 5-Position with humbucker coil-splitting
  • Controls: Master volume, master tone
  • Hardware: Metal "Dome" knobs
  • Pick Guard: 3-Ply white/black/white
  • Scale Length: 25-1/2" (648mm)
  • Fretboard radius: 13-3/4" (350mm)
  • Warranty: Yamaha Limited Lifetime
  • Case sold separately

My budget for a guitar is not more than $500(preferably tax included). I can buy Yamaha for $30 less than Ibanez. Which one you guys think is a better guitar to have for a beginner? 
Yamaha tends to be the most recommended axe for beginners here.
Thank you monwobobbo

I am also suggested the Squier and Epiphone. I don't know how to play guitar but what I understood by reading forums and reviews is that Pacifica 112v sounds better than any Squire Strats. Correct me if I'm wrong though. 
You are wrong.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Deluxe, vintage modified , classic vibe, maybe even standard.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The Yamaha Pacifica has more versitility than a Squire - get a Squire if you are convinced that it makes the tones you want. They also tend to be well set up from the factory - even better than real Fenders are.
Quote by romeozdistress
Deluxe, vintage modified , classic vibe, maybe even standard.

Thanks again. But the all of these models cost less than Yamaha Pasifica 112v ($400 Canadian). There is only one Strat  which costs 10  more and its body is not alder.  The built quality and hardware used in Pacifica 112v (not 112j and not 012 models) is better to what I have researched (Strats category). Now sound-wise or how much each of them are playable that is something I have no clue. Do you mind if you explain a bit more in details? Thank you!
Last edited by Jean_Abdou at Aug 10, 2017,
Quote by Jean_Abdou
Thanks again. But the all of these models cost less than Yamaha Pasifica 112v ($400 Canadian). There is only one Strat  which costs 10  more and its body is not alder.  The built quality and hardware used in Pacifica 112v (not 112j and not 012 models) is better to what I have researched (Strats category). Now sound-wise or how much each of them are playable that is something I have no clue. Do you mind if you explain a bit more in details? Thank you!

Cost doesn't always tell the tale so beware of judging that way
Here is the Vintage Modified Squier HSS:

Yamaha Pcifica 112V:

Comparison: Squier~Pacifica

• Body: Basswood~Solid alder
  • Neck: Both Maple
  • Construction: Both bolt on construction, Rosewood fret-boards
  • Frets: 21~22
  • Scale Length: both 25-1/2"
  • Pickups: 2 single-coil and Alnico V magnet humbucker~Duncan Designed SC-102 Stack middle neck pickups, Duncan Designed HB-112 Humbucker bridge
  • Fret-board Radius: 9.5"~13-3/4"
  • Tremolo: Fender vintage-style synchronized~Could not find what tremolo it is!
  • Pickup switch: both 5-Positions
  • Controls: Master volume, neck and middle tone controls~Master volume, master tone
  • Hardware: Plastic knobs, pick-guard/Metal knobs, pick-guards

Price: 410CDN/400CDN in summer 2017.

My search:

• Alder wood: results in a brighter sound. Basswood: softer (muddier).
  • 22 frets is nicer than 21 but for a beginner I'm not sure how much it would be useful
  • Pick ups: Please provide me some help with this! What I know though, it has a major impact on the guitar sound. Very important!
  • Fret-board Radius: I don't know, What are the benefits and disadvantages of each size!
  • Tremolo: What are the benefits and disadvantages of each size?
  • Controls: Yamaha looks like to have a half-ass control, Squier full control over the sound. BUT Yamaha is easier to use.
  • Hardware: It seems Yamaha 112V has a better construction and quality control.

Some reviews complained about built quality inconsistencies in Squier guitars (and much less about Yamaha).

Sound-wise, I couldn't find anything useful on the web. Many of the audio recordings are sub-par both in terms of the recording devices used and the recording environment.
Quote by Tony Done
monwobobbo

Yes, there isn't much relationship between cost and performance, my favourite electric is also the cheapest.. Of those two I would go Yamaha, based on reputation, but I would also be looking at other HSS models. including Squiers.

Thanks Tony. I want to narrow down my selection to two, listen to them in the store, buy one and then forget about everything else. If I pick more than two I'm sure I can never make a decision. The next task is to focus on learning how to play and make it sound good.
Between those two, it would be toss a coin or try it and see. The single tone control aon the Pacifica wouldn't bother me, and I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between alder and basswood either, it would be low down in my selection criteria, as would the different trems. Sorry can't help with the pickups.
Quote by Jean_Abdou
Thanks Tony. I want to narrow down my selection to two, listen to them in the store, buy one and then forget about everything else. If I pick more than two I'm sure I can never make a decision. The next task is to focus on learning how to play and make it sound good.

why narrow it down to 2? play as many gutars as you can in your price range and go from there. i can't tell you how many times i've tried a guitar just for the hell of it and found it to be a great axe. i've bought more than a few guitars over the years by doing this that i would have never thought about buying otherwise. 

you need to get away from the concept of "better" though at least just based on specs and others opinions. it's what is best for you that counts. Squier makes some really nice guitars in their more expensive lines so don't discount them. the thing is with them is that you have to want the Fender Stratocaster sound.  it isn't necessarily "better" than another sound but along with comfort of the guitar itself would be a compelling reason to buy. the yamaha tends to be more of a jack of all trades guitar which can ge good for a beginner. 
Quote by monwobobbo
Yamaha tends to be the most recommended axe for beginners here.

agreed, but sometimes that can kind of turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy or bandwagon

I'm not sure there's much in it, really. the yamaha has a narrowish nut and the ibanez should be wider, so that might be the main thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed, but sometimes that can kind of turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy or bandwagon

I'm not sure there's much in it, really. the yamaha has a narrowish nut and the ibanez should be wider, so that might be the main thing.

Easy pick that you can't go wrong with. Sure there are other options but it's tough to advise brand new players as they tend to have no clue on what they want.
Quote by Tony Done
Dave_Mc

The wikiwisdom aspect also worries me in this kind of recommendation. How many of us have actually taken a close look at a 112v or VM Squier? Not I.

more than you might think. i've played both more than once. i make a point f trying as many guitars as i can (even if they have no interest to me) . both are available all over the place which is another reason they get recommended so much. 
Quote by Tony Done
monwobobbo

Living in regional Oz, I lack opportunity.

well if it makes you feel any better i don't get the chance to almost run over kangaroos here  
I asked the store rep to demo the following for me:

Before I talk about it I should mention that I'm familiar with mixing and I have some idea of what sounds good in the mix.

My first impression: The Amp he used was Fender and I guess 100Watts for all of these:

-First he played the Squier.
-Then he played Fender American--> darn good, bright which I can imagine sits beautifully in the mix.

Now when he played the Fender I realized that Squier is not bright. This may be fixed EQing the sound. I'm not sure. But Squier will not sit in the mix as good as the Fender for sure if the sound is not processed.

-Yamaha:  Brighter than Squier, which again I believe will sound really good in the mix, but it was something between Squire and Fender.

-I liked the built of  Yamaha Pacifica 112v more than Squier.

I should test them one more time! 
    Quote by Tony Done
    Dave_Mc 

The wikiwisdom aspect also worries me in this kind of recommendation. How many of us have actually taken a close look at a 112v or VM Squier? Not I.

yeah me neither. I've tried a couple of 112vs, but that was ages ago. i have very little experience with any of the squiers really, which is why i never mention them. i'm not sure if i've tried that specific ibanez but i've tried something fairly similar, but again ages ago.

as you said, the big problem is you want more experienced players to help, but then they're often kind of out of the loop with the more beginner level stuff.
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?