Hey UG
I'm a 17 year old guy with a passion for guitars and music in general
I was wondering how to effectively use my practice time
I have about 1-3 hours every night
Some nights I put on blues backing tracks and just close my eye and lose myself and the hours fly
But then i wonder how can I get better at this?

I'm well aware of mixing the minor pentatonic with the the major makes things pretty interesting
I also know I should be targeting a specific note(s) depending on the chord being played
Recently I've been trying to learn some songs by ear
I learned The beginning of Voodoo Child (slight return) by ear
Which isn't really an accomplishment is it?
I also learned the beginning of Lucille by BB king again by ear (because tabs i found didn't sound right to me )

I'm trying to achieve my own bluesy sound
My gear isn't really cater for the blues but I make it work
Orange Crush 20
And
Fender Duo Sonic

Is there anything I should be learning to achieve my goal ?

If anyone has any suggestions please I wanna hear them!
Keep on learning songs by ear, that's the best thing a blues player can do. Make sure to practice your bends and vibrato as they're your main phrasing tools. Also don't ignore rhythm, practice with a metronome every now and then and try to make sure you develop a good "groove", a good sense of time gives confidence to your playing.

If you play with backing tracks, make sure you don't just noodle all the time, make it a learning experience. Try to make every solo a bit better and more coherent than the last.

And just basic stuff, make sure you're using all of your fingers (don't curl the pinky, please) and make sure you have a straight wrist in your fretting hand, and try to pick the notes more with your wrist than your whole arm.

But for an aspiring blues player, learning songs by ear and practicing bends/vibrato is what I would focus on.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I have a question on
The subject of fingers I have an abnormally short pinky compared to my longer fingers
It's not like omg it's short and freaky but it's short enough to where it holds me back if I try to use it
Should I keep strengthening it because the shortness factor doesn't matter or should I just try to compensate for the lack of
Is this something simply in my head
Last edited by phaynes4648 at Aug 10, 2017,
How short is it actually? The top of my pinky is on the same level as the first joint of my middle finger, works like a wonder. Even if you couldn't use it, you should still keep it relaxed over the fretboard, and not curl it awkwardly and stress your hand.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by cdgraves
It's in your head. Just use your pinky and it will improve.

This is the only answer.