I'm a keyboard player (pretty good) who used to play some guitar also (not so well). At my advanced age I've finally set up a home recording system. I'm looking for an acoustic six-string. Please forgive my ignorance. Some parameters:

I will probably never play this guitar in a live-performance situation; I'll use it for recording only. 

I'll probably never play it "solo", only in an "ensemble-style" recording.

I will probably never use a pickup, although I do like the built-in tuners that acoustic-electrics tend to have.

My "lead" chops are actually better than my "rhythm" chops, so I'd like a guitar with pretty low action and a single cutaway.

As this is not my main instrument, I'm not looking to spend a great deal. Maybe $500.

I think I'm more comfortable with a relatively thin guitar that has a "waist" to it. I tried out a cheap Ibanez (AEG12II-NT)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/AEG12II-NT-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Natural-1415030762389.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvuPw3-_M1QIVVDaBCh3CxAyCEAQYASABEgKNufD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^199350232555-device^c-plaid^323968696703-sku^1415030762389@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

... and liked the way it "felt". It was comfortable to hold and to play. But I really don't know enough to know what flaws it might have. Can anyone point me in the direction of other guitars that are a similar "shape" that I might compare?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
For your needs and up to your price point there are many, many guitars that would do fine - these days most guitars within the $300 to $500 range are of good quality so it's hard to go wrong. Best advice I can give is go to a good music store and play as many guitars as you can. Then buy the one you like best - and don't worry what name is on the headstock.
Quote by gdguarino
...[ ]...I will probably never use a pickup, although I do like the built-in tuners that acoustic-electrics tend to have.
I have several AE guitars with built in tuners, and I feel quite the opposite. I can't abide the ever popular "Snark" clip on either. For a tuner, I currently use the TC Electronic's "PolyTune", clip on strobe tuner, it's extremely accurate: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolyTuneClip?product_id=PolyTuneClip&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core&adgroup=Guitars%2520-%2520Guitar%2520Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=55397627521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_SxlcHN1QIVBYNpCh1VjQGTEAQYASABEgKKyfD_BwE

Quote by gdguarino
My "lead" chops are actually better than my "rhythm" chops, so I'd like a guitar with pretty low action and a single cutaway.
Quite frankly, in large part, the "low action" is oftentimes on the buyer to supply. What's critical in purchasing an acoustic is proper neck angle, so that the action can be set where the player desires. If the angle is too high, (ascending from the guitar top), you can wind up in deep poop trying to setup the guitar.

Quote by gdguarino
I think I'm more comfortable with a relatively thin guitar that has a "waist" to it. I tried out a cheap Ibanez (AEG12II-NT)
OK, Ibanez is not the finest name in acoustics. The designs are so sporadically bad, I'd avoid the entire line. I have 2, they're in the back bedroom, tuned down, and never played.
I'm another who would be looking at makes other than Ibanez, many of them are, IMO, "hollow electrics". Also, small, shallow bodies tend to be incompatible with good acoustic tone, they are really designed to be used with a pickup. - But maybe recording technique can compensate for that, dunno.

And what Captaincranky  said about set up and neck angle.
I'd have to concur, thinline/shallow acoustics tend to not have great acoustic tone. There may be an exception, but not that I've ever encountered.
Get a Taylor Big Baby. I just got one this week from Musicans Friend. They sell for $399.99 and are more than worth the price. Trust me on this one.
Taylor Big Baby +1 (althought no cutaway)
Sigma DMC-STE
Sigma OMR-1stCE (if available, good piece)
Yamaha CPX500III (the new one with the solid top, not the crappy II series)
Most Cort Acoustics, good bargain,
And steer clear of Ibanez and Fender in general. Although they may have good neck feels their guitars are less worth than wood in a fire place.

But the golden rule, play guitars. Go to your local store and play as many as you can that are in your budget. If you find one you like in feel and sound, just get it. Nothing beats trying it out with your own ears and fingers.
Quote by AORNova
Taylor Big Baby +1 (althought no cutaway)
Sigma DMC-STE
Sigma OMR-1stCE (if available, good piece)
Yamaha CPX500III (the new one with the solid top, not the crappy II series)
Most Cort Acoustics, good bargain,
And steer clear of Ibanez and Fender in general. Although they may have good neck feels their guitars are less worth than wood in a fire place.

But the golden rule, play guitars. Go to your local store and play as many as you can that are in your budget. If you find one you like in feel and sound, just get it. Nothing beats trying it out with your own ears and fingers.

Exactly!
I can highly recommend the Yamaha AC1M - It has a pickup, which sounds beast. It's really perfect for recording at home.