I am looking for some help picking out an amp.  I'd like something all-tube, between 40 and 100 watts and with a built-in attenuator, ideally with a 1 or 2 watt setting.  I've seen a few that meet those criteria but I'm really out of the game after having a couple young kids and not playing for some time.

Music style would be zeppelin, AC/DC, etc., preferably with enough gain to do the metal thing when I want to.  

Any suggestions?  
Rather than buy a unit with a "built in attenuator," buy whatever you like (rather than being limited only to those that have a built-in attenuator) and have a Fluxtone speaker installed.

https://www.fluxtonespeakers.com/

A Fluxtone speaker will reduce the output of the speaker up to 25 dB, which is like taking your 100W amp and reducing it to a 1/2W.
Maybe the Fender Bassbreaker 45 or the Carvin V3MC?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz I was going to suggest the V3M as well. It attenuates down to 7 watts. It will do classic rock very well, and has plenty of gain for metal, but I have personally found that it can get a little muddy in high gain settings.

One thing that I really liked about it is that the two distortion channels are identical, allowing you to EQ them to get vastly different tones. That is something I actually miss about it from when I had one.
gsspfc Do you want the very low wattage for power tube breakup or lower volume?  Lots of modern high(er) wattage amps sound great at low volumes nowadays.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by dspellman
Rather than buy a unit with a "built in attenuator," buy whatever you like (rather than being limited only to those that have a built-in attenuator) and have a Fluxtone speaker installed.

A Fluxtone speaker will reduce the output of the speaker up to 25 dB, which is like taking your 100W amp and reducing it to a 1/2W.

What the shit? That look F'n awesome. I need to look into these a bit more. Initial concern is what the actual speakers sound like. Researching...

EDIT: Okay so they have v30s, Greenbacks, Creambacks, etc. so they probably sound good. But holy crap those prices though. :O
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM (2), RG7421, Mayer Strat

Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50, Vypyr 60
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Aug 10, 2017,
Quote by Deadpool_25
What the shit? That look F'n awesome. I need to look into these a bit more. Initial concern is what the actual speakers sound like. Researching...

EDIT: Okay so they have v30s, Greenbacks, Creambacks, etc. so they probably sound good. But holy crap those prices though. :O

Given the quality of IRs and power amp sims working with modeling units these days, IF there's a point to a tube amp, it's in the ability to push the power tubes and in the feel of the output transformer - voice coil circuit. If you stick some lump of resistors or "speaker motor" in that circuit, you lose all that, and you end up with a bunch of knobs trying to get it back. And at that point, you may as well be working with a random MFX.

The Fluxtone speakers can be used in an external cabinet with any of your tube amps and they will deliver everything you've paid to have those tube amps do. Given the issues with playing at home, the "reduced stage volume" at most venues these days, the volume preferences for recording and the utter failure of any other technology to produce what you want when you want it, this is priced on the money (pun intended).
Quote by metalmingee
gsspfc Do you want the very low wattage for power tube breakup or lower volume?  Lots of modern high(er) wattage amps sound great at low volumes nowadays.  

I was hoping to get some power tube breakup at reasonable volume.  The first amp that I saw that got me thinking along these lines was the H&K Tubemeister 36.  The features on that amp sound like what I am looking for.  

I suppose an external attenuator is another idea.  And I've never heard of the Fluxtone speaker, either.  Looks like I've got some reading to do here, to investigate the various amps that have been suggested and also check out the Fluxtone deal.  
^ just bear in mind, the H&K might not be all-tube. The smaller tubemeisters aren't, at least. the 36 has an extra preamp tube but i'm not sure if that's enough- would need to see the schematic to be sure.

Quote by dspellman

agreed (assuming the speaker sounds the way you want- i haven't tried it).

but 1-2 watts is probably still not low enough if you need it to be quiet.

Quote by dspellman
Given the quality of IRs and power amp sims working with modeling units these days, IF there's a point to a tube amp, it's in the ability to push the power tubes and in the feel of the output transformer - voice coil circuit.

i dunno, i like preamp tube distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

agreed (assuming the speaker sounds the way you want- i haven't tried it).

but 1-2 watts is probably still not low enough if you need it to be quiet.

That was 1/2W (as in one-half watt). My experience with the FluxTone is that you can have a conversation in the room while someone is wailing away, punishing a good amp. As for the sound -- FluxTone uses the moving parts (cone, coil, etc.) which are responsible for the sound of the various speakers they offer. So a Vintage 30 will have Vintage 30 guts and it will sound like a Vintage 30.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i like preamp tube distortion.

I'm okay with it as well. In fact, I have three all-tube preamps (a Carvin Quad-X, Egnater M4 and a Mesa Triaxis), all of which reside in a rack, none of which require a tube power amp to sound amazing -- but I've bolted them to a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B., which offers tube power amp emulations and cabinet IRs. I think Pete Thorn has a video that demos his Egnater M4 running into the C.A.B., and he seems to like it, too. The Quad-X has nine (9) 12AX7 tubes and, depending on which of the four channels you're using, up to 11 tube gain stages. I can't imagine needing much more.
ah sorry when i said 1-2 watts i was talking to the threadstarter- i knew you meant half a watt. Sorry for the ambiguity But yeah half a watt would hopefully be ok, as you said. I didn't realise it uses the guts of other speakers, so that's ok too. sounds like a good plan

hahahahaha 11 gain stages, awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You need two amps.

1] Roland MicroCube
2 watts through a five inch speaker
Multiple amp models
Multiple effects
Perfect for quiet home playing
The line-out is extremely excellent for recording

2] Something like the reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb
Probably the most recorded amp in the history of Rock
Plenty loud enough for stage performance

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Aug 11, 2017,
If you want a great led zeppelin or AC/DC sound, I would recommend a Marshall DSL40C. It sounds really good. It is also able to sound like early Metallica and like Iron Maiden. For metal a Tube screamer would help to tighten the low end. Avoid the smaller DSL15C as it does not sound as good. 

The DSL40C does not do 1/2 W but it is only 40W switchable to 20W. If you want to play at low volumes, you can always lower the master volume. Pre-amp overdrive may not be as good as power amp overdrive, but it gets really close. 
I think 1 watt is probably plenty low for me, I would mostly be playing in my shop.  I don't want to annoy the neighbors 100 yards away or blow my eardrums out, but I am not worried about the baby sleeping either.  I will definitely consider the marshall.  You only run the tube screamer on the clean channel, right?  
gsspfc You want an amp with a master volume.  I can run my 100W Mesa literally with the kids sleeping in the next room or I can turn it up and be completely deaf and not hear the cops knocking on the door. . . . 
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It's 20 watts (real watts are 18 point something but trust me they are enought), i have a friedman, PT 20 who have been modified and i prefer it over a small box which i have too. If you don't need a lot clean sound get it! perfect for blues and it's a killer for rock (it's basically a jcm 800 who scream at 20 watts instead of 100). I brought it to a technician to get more clean, i have a decent clean now but still he wants to rock, i believe you can find one used for 600$ maybe less, then you will need one cab other 2/300$ or used for half the price. 800/1000$ budget.
Quote by gsspfc
I think 1 watt is probably plenty low for me, I would mostly be playing in my shop.  I don't want to annoy the neighbors 100 yards away or blow my eardrums out, but I am not worried about the baby sleeping either.  I will definitely consider the marshall.  You only run the tube screamer on the clean channel, right?  

The, TS9 is not a good pedal to overdrive a clean channel, there are better overdrives at that job, but the amp has the crunch button on the clean channel and it is capable without any pedal. The 2 things the tube screamer is very capable of doing is pushing your tone for a lead break or to tighten the bottom end of distorted tones. So if you are in the lead channel of the Marshall, you may lack note definition. By having a tube screamer, you can fix this.