Hey guys! The band I am in released a live clip of us performing one of our new songs. Would love it if you could rate our performance from 1-10.
If you've got something nice, nasty or constructive to say!

Please, lay it on me!  

Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Sound quality is butts, but I think I would be moshing out just as much as that guy in the front if i was there
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Aww! Thanks for that mr. Lainad!
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
On a scale from tomato to boysenberry that was a peeling sticker

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I couldnt get through it. if you're going to play an 8 minute song it has to be up there with freebird to keep my attention. Vocals were impossible to understand, tough to give you a grade on that because of audio quality. However the bassists hat is a 0/10. The guy with the tele looks like he walked out of his grandpa's closet. The venue didnt really look like it was the right place for that style of music based on the audience sitting. instrumental was good. 
Spandex/bumbaclat
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Worse than catching AIDS from your Uncle in his shed
RIP Tom Searle.
Whoopsie/My uncle's secret magazines
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
N8dagreat3 Thank you for that detailed feedback, N8!
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
the sound quality on that video is pretty terrible, but still seems as though you're nice and tight and producing a good sound on stage. Normally when people try to show off their band the singer sucks, but I quite like this guys voice. So you're already in front of a lot of bands, even though all that ought to be the minimum requirement for playing live.

the main problem you've got is the song is kind of boring. For all you're playing it just kind of drones, its flat, but perhaps thats a matter of taste.
Less weed more speed
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
"hey guys, did you know we smoke weed? cuz we do. we smoke it. weed, that is. weed is what we smoke."
Check out my band Disturbed
Honest though, two conversations can happen here.  First, how is the performance (which is what you actually asked), and Second, how is the music.

The performance was okay, for what it is.  I can tell you're all fairly comfortable playing in front of people, but possibly still self-conscious.  Tbh, stage movements felt calculated.  That being said, not sure if that was an old folks home or what, but I commend you for coming across comfortable to that crowd, because it was pretty lame.  I personally feed off the energy of people, so in that situation I probably wouldn't do any better - hence the "calculated" vibes.  

I don't know what world everyone else lives in, but the audio quality on the vid isn't that bad, it certainly isn't shit.  I only say that because I've watched and listened to far worse, and I've created far worse myself.  It seems to me people expect studio-like quality ALL THE TIME.  It is possible live, was it your goal?  maybe maybe not.  The quality is evidenced by each instrument is decipherable - which many people (who aren't just bedroom recorders) struggle with on camera footage

As for the music, again, it's good for what it is.  I'd rather hear you guys as a straight up sludge or doom band and get rid of the pretty parts where you can show off your clean strat tone with reverb.  I'd also rather go without the "hey guys I can play bass better than you expected see watch this" parts.  For what I like, which is hardcore punk/oi and doom, I think you could be a better band and from this I know you have the skills.  Just a personal assessment - obviously you guys are doing what you like. 

THAT BEING SAID - I do think after listening to this twice that your music is created in the process of writing and feeling like a song is never finished.  I feel like this is the culmination of several revisions that were born of you overpracticing the song and then discussing as a band "we should add another part right there to break it up".  IMO, it's a question of self-editing.  

my 2c
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
The audio quality is what happens with most cameras trying to record something this loud up close. First off, I like it. A bit long winded but good. You guys are tight and play well. Ask the drummer to lay off the cymbals. I think they dominate everything and affect the camera audio wise because the camera has a built in compressor that is really catching those crashes and high end cymbals and is distorting the audio. It is just my opinion. I don't like drummers who wack away full blast at the cymbals with no dynamics. It hurts my ears when I have to be on stage with them and it just washes the whole band sound. Personally I would also run this video through some video editing software to remove that Go Pro/SJ camera like fish eye effect. It's annoying.

Nice job. Good playing, good singing, long (but decent) song.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 11, 2017,
I'd prefer to hear a studio version of this. The sound is crap.

The performance though.......4. The crowd looked bored. Try engaging them next time. 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
On a scale from 12 to Russet potato that is very clearly a pair of gym shorts.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Quote by Phantumgrey
I'd prefer to hear a studio version of this. The sound is crap.

The performance though.......4. The crowd looked bored. Try engaging them next time. 

Thank you for checking this out! How would you suggest engaging the audience?

And a big thank you to Badluckpalms  and Rickholly74! We really appreciate your detailed responses!
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
0/10 for that hat. Didn't watch the video.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
0/10 for that hat.  Didn't watch the video.

But how would you know about any hat if you didn't watch the video? :O
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
But how would you know about any hat if you didn't watch the video? :O

It's the thumbnail.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It's the thumbnail.

JustRooster The hat is hardly visible in the thumbnail. The hat can be mistaken for a  very round haircut or a black halo or something
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Music was fun in spite of the  massively clipped recording.  Get a Zoom H1 and set levels in sound check.  Then you will have GREAT live recordings.  $100
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Worst outfits ever. I don't really care much for the look of a band but all of you dress distractingly badly that's the only really unkind thing I have to say! You seem competent on your instruments and the performance was good considering the room wasn't exactly high-energy.

In my opinion, if the crowd are that dead then maybe they're just not in the mood. Engaging them more would be best, but those guys didn't exactly look ready to rock!

My main genuine criticism of the whole thing is just that the song was way too long. There was a moment at 3.00 that seemed perfect to end it, which would have made it a perfectly good, dynamic, fun rock song. Instead it became people showing off at the expense of any fun for the viewer/crowd.

If it ended at 3:00 and then the final few minutes were another song altogether, it would have kept my attention way more and I'm not really a fan of this style of music. That break would have been a good place for that audience engagement too. Anything kinda loud and not too reliant on cliche would have been great I think.

Anyway, overall this was way better than I expected, just needed a little more brevity and fun and a little less indulgence and pretence

EDIT: the irony of me telling you to make your thing shorter isn't wasted on me
Last edited by danielh123. at Aug 11, 2017,
Quote by danielh123.
Worst outfits ever. I don't really care much for the look of a band but all of you dress distractingly badly that's the only really unkind thing I have to say! You seem competent on your instruments and the performance was good considering the room wasn't exactly high-energy.

In my opinion, if the crowd are that dead then maybe they're just not in the mood. Engaging them more would be best, but those guys didn't exactly look ready to rock!

My main genuine criticism of the whole thing is just that the song was way too long. There was a moment at 3.00 that seemed perfect to end it, which would have made it a perfectly good, dynamic, fun rock song. Instead it became people showing off at the expense of any fun for the viewer/crowd.

If it ended at 3:00 and then the final few minutes were another song altogether, it would have kept my attention way more and I'm not really a fan of this style of music. That break would have been a good place for that audience engagement too. Anything kinda loud and not too reliant on cliche would have been great I think.

Anyway, overall this was way better than I expected, just needed a little more brevity and fun and a little less indulgence and pretence

EDIT: the irony of me telling you to make your thing shorter isn't wasted on me

First of all, thank you so much for the long, interesting reply! May I ask how the clothing is distractingly bad ? And how do we add more brevity and fun and how do we reduce the indulgence and pretence? We really appreciate all the feedback we can get
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
wyldelife ^ He's basically just saying the song was too long. I tend to agree. I enjoy longer songs myself, but a longer song really has to justify the length. This song felt artificially long, like it was being stretched out. For me longer songs need to cover more musical territory or they get boring. Ya'll are definitely good though, and I'm not trying to badmouth your music - it's pretty good - just offering constructive criticism.

I also think that at that particular venue there was really no chance of getting the crowd going.
The4thHorsemen Thank you for chiming in and I always love getting constructive criticism! Where did the song feel artificially long for you?
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
First of all, thank you so much for the long, interesting reply! May I ask how the clothing is distractingly bad ? And how do we add more brevity and fun and how do we reduce the indulgence and pretence? We really appreciate all the feedback we can get

The clothing really isn't THAT big a deal, but it did distract me. If I'm looking at your hat and the other dude's shorts more than anything else in the whole video, that's not ideal. T-shirt and jeans like the long-haired chap had is just fine and doesn't suggest any attempt at looking cool. Like I said though, personally I don't think that's too important, just a kind of picky side note.

As for the brevity and fun, just what I said about the length of the song. There were so many natural ending points for it (3:00 and 5:00ish in particular) but it just kinda dragged on instead. I don't need a solo at all, let alone four minutes worth. If I am gonna have to listen to that, I'd rather it be an instrumental song of its own.

I guess as with any medium, 8:30 goes a lot funner and quicker when it's broken into chunks. In between you can interact with the crowd a little too, which I always love when watching bands; makes me like them more.

Incidentally, if you were playing a 45 minute show with a crowd who loved your stuff, that song wouldn't be a bad show-finishing ender. There criticisms are taking it as a standalone song.
Shave your heads, get some docs and braces, start a skinhead band and call it Ash Street Glory

No reason really, just do it.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
Great tune  and really enjoyed the performance. I have nothing negative to say about it - good on ya for ripping an 8 minute song!   Cool parts, I certainly didn't get bored.  I really liked the instrumental breaks.  

I agree that a standing venue would have been better for the style, but you have no control over that part. 

I say keep the hat.  
Thanks reverb66 !
Deliriumbassist : I believe we did the whole "whole band dramatic pause" thing three times max, not 17 times :P
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Deliriumbassist I know, but in our defence, we did do the dramatic stops a bit differently each time, right? 8-)
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
I can only say I started getting bored with the music about 1-2 minutes into the video. That's no fault on your behalf, that's just my taste. Nothing wrong with your approach in songwriting, but the composition didn't do anything to me or really pique my interest in any aspect. I really don't care how normal or bizarre folks appear to be when they're performing, so selection in garb is something I pay no heed to. Appearance is a non-issue for me, notes and passages are.

Besides that, I don't know what else to tell you. If you've found folks who like to listen and watch you perform, then keep it up.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Zaphikh Thanks for checking out the video and writing your feedback! Much obliged!
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500