im talking about comparing (for bedroom and beyond) a Solid State amp thats a 2 by 12 versus a low wattage all tube amp. im feeling i must come to this decision of comparing because i want to get my first "decent" amp that is one step further from the typical bedroom amp. one that i could use at home, but also for gigs or rehearsals. marshall 102cfx, Laney LXRT120W and Randall RG1503 vs marshall dsl15 or 40w or anything in between but marshall is what im diggin right now.. like whats really the difference besided one being tube and one not. i feel all those amp can gig and they all have their differences, has anyone ever used both? just one? thanks. 
A good amp is a good amp, regardless of SS vs Tubes. Let your ears guide you.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
skip the MG series as they are marshall in name only. the DSL40c will blow it away in terms of sound. 
ExDementia drums. yes my intention is to use it without the need of a PA system, something that could work with or without. heavy metal, metal, doom, stoner rock something like that, not exactly speed metal or thrash...
Well IMHO Randall RG1503 is excellent for heavy, doom and stoner out of the box. It has slightly loose and fuzzy quality in its distortion. For Thrash and Death which usually require a pronounced, aggressive pick attack you'd need an overdrive pedal to boost and tighten it a bit. And it can get ungodly loud. It is a solid state amp well suited for your job. Just my personal opinion though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A good amp is a good amp, regardless of SS vs Tubes. Let your ears guide you.

agreed. that being said, with most of the usual suspects at least, tube is usually (not always) better. at least until you get into the higher prices ranges where the high-end modellers (and higher end SSes) come into play.

the randall he mentioned might be ok (I haven't tried it) but i'd suspect the marshall and laney (also haven't tried, though i've tried other SS marshalls) won't be great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks a lot, but i guess the discussion is settled for me. im gonna save up for the QUILTER TONE BLOCK 200 or might get into the MINI HEAD REVERB first or the 101 HEAD. OH-MY-GOD... forget about your plexis, forget eveything tube related, at least this does it for me. this thing has the capabilities of becoming the next big thing in head like amplification. im still impressed, wow. check out this review by the grmaniundude. just by the sound of his voice, you just have to wonder if you still about the tubes or this. SS is the future. AMAZING.
For the record, I did NOT PM eduardongua about Quilters. Just putting that out there.

FWIW, when I emailed Quilter myself, Pat Quilter responded. He recommended the 200 or the Mach 2 for heavier tones. And those ARE the amps I see in the bulk of Hard rock/metal themed Quilter demo vids. The 101 was also featured in a couple, used with a Friedman pedal.

The one oddity in the lineup is that only the 45 and 101 lines have headphone jacks for quiet practice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A good amp is a good amp, regardless of SS vs Tubes.  Let your ears guide you.

I don't think that this can be emphasised strongly enough. The best amp tech in town, a highly qualified electronics technician and hi-fi nut (he has tube and SS hi-fi amps sitting side-by side), is a friend of mine. He plays a near-clean style tonally similar to mine, but I do not like his probably-modded Princeton anywhere near as much as my H&K. You have to trust your ears.

The same applies to guitars.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 12, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For the record, I did NOT PM eduardongua about Quilters. Just putting that out there.

hahahahahahahahahaha

that quilter sounded pretty good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?