In the world of firearms, people sometimes have what they call a safe queen, a gun they buy for the express purpose of not using but only to say they have it and keep it locked up as their "safe queen".

Out of curiosity, do you guys have or know anyone who has a safe queen guitar? That one guitar you or they bought and it never gets uncased. Show pics if you like or just share what you have please.
Can't say I do. I have multiple guitars for multiple tunings, so while it is a hobby, I'm also utilitarian with it. I did keep my Septor 727 in the case for awhile when I wasn't using it, but now, I've had it easily available on a single stand. I'm not one to buy something sit around and look pretty. Said Septor only cost $325 new and is the priciest axe in my collection.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I have a number that sit in climate-controlled storage. The insurance company isn't all that famous on having me talk about most of them, but I've previously mentioned three mid-50's LP Customs. They don't get played much because, honestly, the frets are too low and I have guitars that play better.
Quote by dspellman
I have a number  that sit in climate-controlled storage. The insurance company isn't all that famous on having me talk about most of them, but I've previously mentioned three mid-50's LP Customs. They don't get played much because, honestly, the frets are too low and I have guitars that play better.

pix or they're plywood Hondos.  
Quote by bjgrifter
Can't say I do. I have multiple guitars for multiple tunings, so while it is a hobby, I'm also utilitarian with it. I did keep my Septor 727 in the case for awhile when I wasn't using it, but now, I've had it easily available on a single stand. I'm not one to buy something sit around and look pretty. Said Septor only cost $325 new and is the priciest axe in my collection.

Nice! I looked up the septor and it's amazing!
Quote by dspellman
I have a number that sit in climate-controlled storage. The insurance company isn't all that famous on having me talk about most of them, but I've previously mentioned three mid-50's LP Customs. They don't get played much because, honestly, the frets are too low and I have guitars that play better.

Wow! That is indeed something to behold and I'd say it qualifies
I'd never buy a guitar I wasn't going to play; as far as I'm concerned the amount a guitar of such hypothetical value would cost would make that about as good a use of my money as cosmetic surgery on my balls. I have a couple of dream guitars (like a proper high-end Gretsch or something) that would be unlikely to leave my home except on very special occasions though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
No, but I was thinking about getting a guitar safe for when the queen comes over drunk. Sorry but I misread the title, thought that's maybe where you were going.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by monwobobbo
pix or they're plywood Hondos.  

*slaps forehead*
Oh, so THAT's what they are! Dang!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'd never buy a guitar I wasn't going to play; as far as I'm concerned the amount a guitar of such hypothetical value would cost would make that about as good a use of my money as cosmetic surgery on my balls. I have a couple of dream guitars (like a proper high-end Gretsch or something) that would be unlikely to leave my home except on very special occasions though.

I have some guitars that I bought that were just dirt cheap when I bought/traded for them that have simply become worth stupid money over time for one reason or another.
I was gonna say...safe queen is usually a firearms term, but no I don't have any. All my guns and guitars get played and shot regularly. The only thing I would ever get as a safe queen, MAYBE, would be a Sig Sauer X6 P226, but that's about it, as far as guitars, a 59 Les Paul would be my safe queen if I had one.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I have two mint guitars that are in cases and just sitting after 15-20 years not because they are particularly valuable it's just that I bought them and after a few weeks found I really didn't like playing them and just put them away and have never gotten them out again. I did have three but about a two years ago I traded one (a MIM Tele) on a bass for recording purposes. The other two are a Gretsch Electromatic and a Fender Strat that are nice looking but just don't play well. I may buy guitars that don't get played often, but I don't have any that I bought with that idea in mind.  
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 11, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
I have some guitars that I bought that were just dirt cheap when I bought/traded for them that have simply become worth stupid money over time for one reason or another.
Well that's lucky for you. Or not if you want to gig them, but it doesn't particularly sound like you do. My post on the usefulness (or lack thereof) of such a purchase was strictly referring to my own situation, which is that I don't expect to see demand for my mid-2010s Teles, my mid-2010s Epiphone acoustic or my (probably) upcoming mid-2010s Les Paul so vastly outstrip supply that they become the next '59 burst. I guess it'd be nice.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Well that's lucky for you. Or not if you want to gig them, but it doesn't particularly sound like you do. My post on the usefulness (or lack thereof) of such a purchase was strictly referring to my own situation, which is that I don't expect to see demand for my mid-2010s Teles, my mid-2010s Epiphone acoustic or my (probably) upcoming mid-2010s Les Paul so vastly outstrip supply that they become the next '59 burst. I guess it'd be nice.

I doubt that I'd buy a guitar these days that was destined for the safe (though I've come close a couple of times). I'm not much of a collector; I accumulate, though. When I buy, it's usually with the intention of playing.
I prefer to buy these guitars that sit in cases and never get played. I've gotten two good deals this way - love buying used but want near mint condition!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
My SPAS 12 is one of my favorite safe queens. I've had it for about 4 years and only fired about 20 rounds through it to confirm function. As for my guitars though, none of them are safe queens. I have all of them proudly displayed on stands and they all get played regularly. The only time they're put in a case is for transportation. I do baby them though and clean them very thoroughly. Even my old crappy Dean Vendetta XM gets played frequently. It has too much sentimental value for me to just leave it in a closet and ignore it.  
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
Last edited by BlackDeath92 at Aug 13, 2017,
I play in the realm of toys under 1k and it seems as though the guitar market is softening with a decline of young guitar players as a few articles recently have pointed out, while the shooting sports community is growing by leaps and bounds. While newer plastic bottom feeders are plentiful they still seem to hold about 80-90% of their value used as it is a sellers market, and guitars seem to be selling for 50-70% as it is a buyers market.

Old Colts and Winchesters have been continually climbing for the last 50+ years and have been out of my price range since the 90s.  The old S&W and Ruger revolvers Belgian Browings and Mil-Surp Rifles like the A3-03 and the Mauser are starting to see a huge upsurge in popularity. All the guns I paid 150-300 for 80s and 90s ago are selling in the 600-1K range today. I have quite a few early post war S&W safe queens in my gun safe that have actually tripled and quadrupled in value over the years, whereas my guitars have stayed flat or gone down in value. I do not have any guitars that do not get used, they are all players.  

I believe the next investment opportunities in the firearms market are the 3rd Gen S&W handguns and the Ruger P series handguns, both great guns that are no longeer made. They can be had at very reasonable prices on the used market, and there are still plenty of replacement parts available for them. I'm not sure what will happen next in the guitar market. ARs have bee way down since the election, and Colt AR prices are tanking since the lost their military contract, but they will skyrocket again if a Democrat gets elected in 2020 or 2024 just as they tripled when Obama was elected. 
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
Last edited by Smith357 at Aug 13, 2017,
I definitely don't have a guitar that I'd consider valuable enough to store in a safe. That being said, I do have a few guitars that sit in a case unless I need them for a particular reason. My old 81 Dean stays in the case because the frets are worn to shit and I kind of like how it plays so I just use it for recording stuff. My Edwards LPC sits in a case for a bit too cause its my RR fanboy guitar so I only bust it out when I'm in an Ozzy mood. The rest get some decent action.  
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A former band mate and good friend of mine's dad supposedly has a close to mint Nocaster.  He won't bring out when we ask him though, and my buddy says he's only seen it once and that's when he switched insurance companies and they needed new photos.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
The guitar term is "case queen", for what that's worth.

And no, I don't - None of my guitars are even remotely worth that much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a '77 Strat that just sits there.It's not worth much more than i paid for it so it'll probably sit there for another twenty years before i sell it.
Quote by EyeballPaul
I have a '77 Strat that just sits there.It's not worth much more than i paid for it so it'll probably sit there for another twenty years before i sell it.
I'm sure I've said this before, but if you ever can't cope with having it anymore - I can help out with that
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
I don't think I'd specifically safe anything, but I get your reference. I don't currently own anything I'd consider sacred, but I would absolutely put some "don't touch those" guitars on the wall!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
When I moved into almost exclusive acoustic playing, all my guitars, valuable or not, became "case queens". I have a 97 American Standard that plays beautifully but doesn't get a lot of attention now. When I bought it almost 10 years ago, it had spent most of its life in a case, so it's as mint as used guitar could ever be.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
If Page plays his 59 Les Paul......its really kind of silly for anyone to think they have a guitar that's too valuable to play.

FWIW.....I shoot my $4k Ed Brown 1911 all day long.

Safe queens...... bleh.....
Quote by TRSOtto
If Page plays his 59 Les Paul......its really kind of silly for anyone to think they have a guitar that's too valuable to play.

FWIW.....I shoot my $4k Ed Brown 1911 all day long.

Safe queens......  bleh.....

Page's 59 LP didn't cost him 6 figures in the 60s and 70s though so its not an apt comparison. He never expected it to be mega valuable. They were just used guitars back then and nobody thought they were special like they do now. If they did they wouldn't have discontinued the LP from 60-68. 

Other than that I agree. Safe queens are silly but I understand that some people have invested a lot of money in guitars and don't want to take the risk. That being said, I'm glad the people I knew weren't like that or I would've never tried any of the 50s LPs I ended up trying.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't own any guitars that are "safe queens" - all of the "Troops" get to blow music to smithereens every so often.

(looks at guitar rack) Do You Has What It Takes to Join the Mad-Mike Guitarmy?
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Page's 59 LP didn't cost him 6 figures in the 60s and 70s though so its not an apt comparison. He never expected it to be mega valuable. They were just used guitars back then and nobody thought they were special like they do now. If they did they wouldn't have discontinued the LP from 60-68. 
Also, he has two, plus probably the money to buy another one should he need to.

But yeah, I mean what I wouldn't take from Page's book is travelling with a hard-to-replace guitar. Also, kidnapping and having relations with underage girls. What I do have in common with him is that, even if I had such an absurdly valuable instrument, I'd still play it. Otherwise what's the point?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Also, he has two, plus probably the money to buy another one should he need to.

But yeah, I mean what I wouldn't take from Page's book is travelling with a hard-to-replace guitar. Also, kidnapping and having relations with underage girls. What I do have in common with him is that, even if I had such an absurdly valuable instrument, I'd still play it. Otherwise what's the point?

Actually his other one is a 58. Also 2 68 GTs (one refin'd) and a Deluxe.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually his other one is a 58. Also 2 68 GTs (one refin'd) and a Deluxe.
Wiki says both are '59s but frankly? Same thing. I think the girl was a '58 though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Wiki says both are '59s but frankly? Same thing. I think the girl was a '58 though.

That wiki can also say he played a hello kitty strat in about 2 clicks and 40 key strokes.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?101120-Jimmy-Page-s-1958-and-59-bursts

Also if the girl was a 58 it would be too old for Page.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That wiki can also say he played a hello kitty strat in about 2 clicks and 40 key strokes.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?101120-Jimmy-Page-s-1958-and-59-bursts
Like I said - same thing

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Also if the girl was a 58 it would be too old for Page.
'58 made her 14 at the time
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Like I said - same thing

'58 made her 14 at the time

I mean same thing sure, except for you know, neck profiles, fret sizes, jack plates, finish...

Totally the same
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I mean same thing sure, except for you know, neck profiles, fret sizes, jack plates, finish...

Totally the same
Yeah but that's true between two adjacent serial numbers.

I'm slightly curious, though, what was the finish difference? I thought all bursts were essentially the same?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah but that's true between two adjacent serial numbers.

I'm slightly curious, though, what was the finish difference? I thought all bursts were essentially the same?

Not really. If you said a range of serial numbers or a date range I would agree but otherwise there are certain tells for certain ranges of serial numbers and years. If were talking the old ones anyway.

Also frets for instance were uniform for standards from 52-58 and they changed them to bigger frets after the 9 03xx range. Neck wise they reduced the shoulders of 59s so they were more rounded. Thats also why a lot of people liked the 59s and why they are more desirable as well because of those changes.

Finish wise they always played around with it. Most of the bursts started in 58 in the 53XX ranges. Also in regards to colors they changed the reds in 59 for a new batch and the new batch was super reactive to UV and would fade quite a bit. This isnt as bad in 58 and it rarely happens to mid to late 60s ones that had UV resistant reds applied. They still fade but not as much.

Also 59 is the only year for Tobacco.

So ya. Differences. They are there. Sorry to bore you
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
Ah, gotcha. The same.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
K33nbl4d3

Totally

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
No I try to play all of mine, I had 15 and tried to each of them some amp time. I'll admit some sit in their cases for long periods of time but not because I am saving them but because I am having more fun playing others. And a couple sit that could use a bit of work but I have not got around to doing it yet.

I had 2 that sat for over a year that I just recently sold to my brother and I'm using the cash to buy a better one, I put it in the layaway yesterday and will have it home next Friday 08/25 I'll do a NGD post shortly after.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by oneblackened
The guitar term is "case queen", for what that's worth.

And no, I don't - None of my guitars are even remotely worth that much.

Thank you sir for the correction
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not really. If you said a range of serial numbers or a date range I would agree but otherwise there are certain tells for certain ranges of serial numbers and years. If were talking the old ones anyway.

Also frets for instance were uniform for standards from 52-58 and they changed them to bigger frets after the 9 03xx range. Neck wise they reduced the shoulders of 59s so they were more rounded. Thats also why a lot of people liked the 59s and why they are more desirable as well because of those changes.

Finish wise they always played around with it. Most of the bursts started in 58 in the 53XX ranges. Also in regards to colors they changed the reds in 59 for a new batch and the new batch was super reactive to UV and would fade quite a bit. This isnt as bad in 58 and it rarely happens to mid to late 60s ones that had UV resistant reds applied. They still fade but not as much.

Also 59 is the only year for Tobacco.

So ya. Differences. They are there. Sorry to bore you

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'