Hey guys,

Recently been getting into weirder sounds and think a fuzz would compliment this.

Ideally something that can do both vintage and modern type vibes. Must be a normal pedal size (or smaller), and if it had an octave (up/down) capability that'd be a bonus but if not no problem (can get my timeline to emulate an octave).

Budget ~£150

Looking at the Earthquaker devices Eruptor, Maxon elements fuzz series and the Caitalainbread perseus - but looking for other options.

Only other issue is I don't have enough space on my board. As I wouldn't normally need a fuzz I was just thinking of replacing my tube screamer with it as and when I needed. But I know fuzz's don't always play nice with other pedals my chain in front of my amp is usually: Guitar-ISP Decimator G string-Xotic Wah-Keeley C4 Comp-TS9-Red Dirt Mini-Amp. Would this be ok replacing where the TS9 is in the chain with a fuzz?

Another option could  be the Chase Audio Brothers to replace the ts9 - as I could use the drive sound on channel one and fuzz on 2 - but this is an expensive option, and not sure if worth it as I like my TS9
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Last edited by Shredx at Aug 11, 2017,
1) you can find out about a lot of fuzzes here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709810

2) the Catalinbread Perseus is a killer octave fuzz.

3) I really don't think you can replace a tubescreamer with a fuzz.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
1) you can find out about a lot of fuzzes here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709810

2) the Catalinbread Perseus is a killer octave fuzz.

3) I really don't think you can replace a tubescreamer with a fuzz.

Thanks for the reply, will do!

The chase bliss brothers has 3 modes per channel (boost/drive/fuzz) - so presumably either the boost or drive on one of the channels would be able to get me close to a TS voiced OD 
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Last edited by Shredx at Aug 11, 2017,
I would add the Earthquaker Master General Fuzz to the list... but it really depends on what Fuzz circuit you are interested in... Tonebender, Muff, FuzzFace, Shin-Ei etc.... Lots out there.
Quote by Shredx
The chase bliss brothers has 3 modes per channel (boost/drive/fuzz) - so presumably either the boost or drive on one of the channels would be able to get me close to a TS voiced OD 

I meant a "simple" fuzz. A pedal that combines OD & fuzz capabilities will do. There aren't many OD/Fuzzes out there- more OD/Distortion and Fuzz/Distortions, IME- but there are some. As I recall, most combo pedal ODs are based on the tubescreamer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Shredx On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I have an EHX Octavix that fills my fuzz and octave fuzz needs. The octave generation is not switchable but it is adjustable. Taking it completely out, the fuzz sound is still a bit farty and velcro-y, not super tight but not overly raunchy either. But of course when you add the octave in, your chordal definition goes out the window.
Speaking of cheapies'... Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz is a good  copy of the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. The Fz-2 / SF300 is pretty cool if you want nasty Shin-Ei / Industrial type fuzz.
The elements fuzz all have different vibes amongst them. Tying that point into this question: Any general idea of fuzz tones your after? Genres (classic rock, stoner, doom, grunge/atl, etc?), bands?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The elements fuzz all have different vibes amongst them. Tying that point into this question: Any general idea of fuzz tones your after? Genres (classic rock, stoner, doom, grunge/atl, etc?), bands?

Yeah been looking into this as never appreciated the spectrum of fuzz's.

So I play a whole variety of stuff, so something that could do the 'classic' fuzz, more modern QOTSA and just something a bit mental would be ideal. 
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
My old band used to do If Only by QOTSA, I liked my EQD Hoof for it. It can be pretty versatile.

Maybe to cover more flavor of tone I'd say the Swollen Pickle since you can adjust the compression, overall smoothness, and mids; so even though it is rather Muff-ish, you can switch it up a bit.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Personally, if I went with a Hoof, I'd go full-on and get the Hoof Reaper, since it is essentially 2 Fuzzes and an octave up pedal all in one.