So once more the mod elections roll around, and I'm nominating myself again.

I like to think that in my tenure I've shown that I'm committed to making the forum a better place, encouraging everyone to be excellent to each other and all that good stuff.

So, of course, I don't want to stop that yet.  I'd like to keep doing what I've been trying to do, and make the forum a more welcoming place, where anyone can come ask and discuss without fear of anyone jumping on them for any reason.

Of course, it's entirely up to you guys, so if any of you feel like I've been doing well so far... vote for me on the 18th!  

A little more for those who don't know who I am:

Hi, I'm Zaphod, I've been a member of UG for... *goes to check*... over 11 years?  Jebus... ok... so yeah.  I'm an old hand in these parts, and my history here goes back to when the MPA finally decided that tab sites infringed all the copyright ever, and a whole bunch of tab sites with huge user bases disappeared overnight.

I've been playing guitar and bass for going on 14-odd years now, and while having to bow to adult things like "work" means I don't play as much as I used to, I'm still very active here, doing everything I can to make the place nicer for everyone.

You can find me/my playing on:
youtube
bandcamp

Feel free to reach out to me about anything!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't see why not. But I'll give you some "tricky" questions anyway to get a feel for your campaign. Ahem.

1. Is it beneficial to use the pinky on your fretting hand?
2. Should you anchor with the pinky on your picking hand?
3. Which one is better, the "baseball bat" grip or the "thumb on the back of the neck" grip? Should you fret notes with the thumb?
4. How high/low should you strap your guitar and why?
5. Does high technical skill kill the soul in your playing?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I don't see why not. But I'll give you some "tricky" questions anyway to get a feel for your campaign. Ahem.

4. How high/low should you strap your guitar and why?

the one question that truly matters, and the answer could spell the success or failure of the entire campaign..
you cheeky little... As a show of good faith with our bass brethren I will answer your questions  

1 - It's always beneficial to have facility with it, whether it's the best choice to use that facility is entirely down to the situation and what the individual is comfortable with.  For example, in the solo to Atrophy from my band's album, there's a section with a short 3 note per string pattern that could be played with the pinky, but because of what immediately follows, I play it with the 1-2-3 combination.

The lick looks a bit like this (guitar is tuned down to drop A# in the song):

e|----------10-12-14-
b|-10-12-13----------
g|-------------------
d|-------------------
a|-------------------
e|-------------------

I play the 13th fret with the 3rd and 14th with the pinky because in that situation it makes more sense to me and is much easier to get up to speed.  There's also some 4 note per string stuff that follows immediately after that so it makes more sense to me to fret it that way.

2 - This is a hell of a question, holy wars have been waged over this one  
I'd say it's better not not anchor like that, but with some caveats:
a - If you can remain relaxed and retain free motion in your picking hand... it's not hugely important.
b - If you already play and have some facility, it's going to be more work to fix the anchor than is worth it; your efforts are better spent working on relaxation and economy of motion directly.
c - Stopping anchoring might make your playing better... but that difference isn't going to be much.  It's the kind of thing that might take you from the top 0.005% of pickers to the top 0.001%, but until you're in that rarified air, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In summation: if I were to teach someone from absolute zero, someone with no experience, I'd get them not to anchor.  Teaching someone who already plays... probably make do with what's already working on the anchoring front.

3 - Both grips have their place.  The default should be thumb on the back of the neck, classical style; it generally gives you the best reach and the most ergonomic position.  Baseball bat should be reserved for bending and thumb-fretting only.  As for whether or not you should fret with your thumb... jury's still out on that one for me.  I've not practiced it much at all, so have basically no ability with it myself.  Furthermore, I've seen guys like Richie Kotzen get some of the Hendrix-ish thumb-over-the-top chords by careful refingering and use of the pinky to get the bass notes.

Addendum to the thumb fretting discussion: I've seen Guthrie Govan fret some chords using thumb under the neck, more like a cello/double bass.  Man did that ever blow my mind when I first saw it.  There are definitely some chords that you can only finger that way, even if they're not going to see much use.  But if you're playing the kind of improvisational fusion he was playing when I saw him do it... possibly worth practicing it.

4 - There are only two answers to this.
Either it's Tom Delonge:

Or it's Robert Fripp:

Anything in between is the work of a False Prophet, and should be cast from your mind.

5 - No.  A piece of music can be as technically proficient as you like, and as long as it connects with the audience, and sounds right for the mood of the music around it, then it's got plenty of soul.  I'll point to the good lord Guthrie Govan as the prime example of this.  Dude has possibly the greatest chops of any electric player, living or dead (arguments about Shawn Lane can go somewhere else for now), and his music makes plenty of people feel things.  Myself included.

There, done.  Now back to my day job

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Interesting, thank you for the answers. I'll take these into consideration at election day
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I stand by my assessment that you are a cheeky so-and-so... until you vote for me

Edit: Awwww, my mod powers are gone

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 11, 2017,
jerrykramskoy never thanked you for that, much appreciated dude!  Always good to know that someone likes the music!

Your pledge is also very much appreciated!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
jerrykramskoy voting starts on the 18th, I guess the admin team will post a poll before then.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ladies, gentlemen, people of all gender identities and expressions: THE POLL IS OPEN!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.