hi i'm hail

i'm a university student on the verge of becoming a high school English teacher, with plans to teach in the Middle East once my Darija, Shaami, and Farsi are halfway up to snuff (not to mention my lackluster French)

most people here know me as an advocate of ear learning and as a staunch opponent to modes. tbh most of the time i'm just trolling, or i'm ramping up my rhetoric because it's an uphill fight to stand out to new learners who are used to the conventional way of teaching guitar.

if i'm moderator, that approach would be way overkill, so i'd just scale down to being calm again. take that as you will, but knowing all the people i've pissed off over the years, it would be a step up

plus i'm not kristen

as a musician, i mostly play electric bass, though i do have a guitar i fiddle around with now. over the next semester i'm planning to record a solo album (at the very least) cause it's been long overdue.

i have a few short videos of me improvising some simple ideas on my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/mao.like.a.fox/videos/10211859051206337/
https://www.facebook.com/mao.like.a.fox/videos/10211769591089890/
https://www.facebook.com/mao.like.a.fox/videos/10211621705552844/

i also have a snippet of me playing the twin peaks theme on my 7 string

https://www.facebook.com/mao.like.a.fox/videos/10211621705552844/

i'm always learning, but i feel really confident as a musician and as a teacher. over the last few years, my focus has been very holistic in my musical philosophy, so i can't bang out any counterpoint like i used to, but i've got a reasonable amount of experience. and i'm not kristen

if you elect me, i promise i'll come up with a metaphor to linguistic pedagogy, cooking, or vehicle repair whenever you want
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 13, 2017,
Quote by Hail
if you elect me, i promise i'll come up with a metaphor to linguistic pedagogy, cooking, or vehicle repair whenever you want

Music is the same as cooking because it is more important to go by your ears and tongue than by the scribbled instructions of some French or German guy that has been dead for centuries.

I think the people here are perfectly capable of coming up with metaphors on their own.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 12, 2017,
Quote by theogonia777
Music is the same as cooking because it is more important to go by your ears and tongue than by the scribbled instructions of some French or German guy that has been dead for centuries.

I think the people here are perfectly capable of coming up with metaphors on their own.

i was thinking more like the significance of Maillard reactions amongst different types of alliums, and the significance of a single misstep when blooming your aromatics. your mise en place is all for naught if you brown your garlic because you mindlessly tossed it in when you started toasting your spices

just like when you give a viola a voice leading segment in an arrangement to make them feel important. no one wants a mouthful of browned viola
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 12, 2017,
Hail

Changing strings and changing oil are both better when you get them done for free.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
decent strings for my 7 string start at around $45 :-(

if i were to buy direct from conklin, they'd be $75+tax
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
decent strings for my 7 string start at around $45 :-(

if i were to buy direct from conklin, they'd be $75+tax

Decent strings for my violin start at a lot more than that. That's why I only use cheap strings. Music and cooking aren't always about using the most expensive ingredients.
Quote by theogonia777
Decent strings for my violin start at a lot more than that. That's why I only use cheap strings. Music and cooking aren't always about using the most expensive ingredients.

by decent i mean the only ones that aren't suspiciously low priced with terrible reviews
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
by decent i mean the only ones that aren't suspiciously low priced with terrible reviews

You don't know expensive until you get into the world of bowed string instruments. A cake of rosin costs more than your lunch. A set of strings costs more than your shoes. A bow costs more than your gold and diamond watch. And the actual instrument costs more than your house and Italian sportscar combined.
If you two can stop arguing about trivialities like strings and get back on topic... (is that any way for mod candidates to behave?)

Hail would have got my vote, until I saw the pic of him with a 7-string bass guitar.  Possibly the most ridiculous instrument in the world. I laugh helplessly every time I see one.  No no please, don't PLAY the thing!  I'm in stitches already!  

Sorry Hail, much as I love your posts, you've lost my vote.  

You do have one big advantage of course: not being kristen.  But then she has the big advantage of not being you.

Good luck to both of you (honestly), but I'm sitting this one out...
Quote by jonriley64

You do have one big advantage of course: not being kristen.  But then she has the big advantage of not being you.

Actually the most intelligent point made in the whole debate.

I don't know who I'll vote for. All I care you could both be mods.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
All I care you could both be mods.

Probably for the best.
Quote by jonriley64
Hail would have got my vote, until I saw the pic of him with a 7-string bass guitar.  Possibly the most ridiculous instrument in the world.

even more strings tbh:

even more ridiculous tbh:

All beautiful in their own way.
And if you really want ridiculous, check out these price tags:

But wait!

theogonia777 
Quote by theogonia777

even more strings tbh:

even more ridiculous tbh:

All beautiful in their own way.  

The last five, certainly.  The first four?  Well, I guess their mothers love them.  (The Chapman stick does have a certain mutant charm, I guess... and those crazy basses do make Hail's look nearly reasonable, in the same way a morbidly obese person makes a merely fat person look normal.)
Hey, we don't judge like that here. Some of the greatest musicians have been big guys like Shawn Lane and Johnny Hiland and Meatloaf.
Quote by theogonia777
And if you really want ridiculous, check out these price tags:

But wait!

Wow!  That viola has its own inbuilt reverb unit!  Bet it would only be worth $44,999,950 without that.
Quote by theogonia777
Hey, we don't judge like that here.  Some of the greatest musicians have been big guys like Shawn Lane and Johnny Hiland and Meatloaf.

No judgement intended!  Morbidly obese is a medical term.  No value judgment there.  Nor is "abnormal" a value judgement.  Better to be abnormal than normal! 

But bass guitars can still have too many strings... It's against nature, dammit!

Anyway, back on topic.  Which of you two candidates is less likely to declare war on North Korea?  The world needs to know.
Quote by jonriley64
Wow!  That viola has its own inbuilt reverb unit!  Bet it would only be worth $44,999,950 without that.

Not saying that clip has zero post-production, but c'mon that's clear room reverb.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by jonriley64
theogonia777 

The last five, certainly.  The first four?  Well, I guess their mothers love them.  (The Chapman stick does have a certain mutant charm, I guess... and those crazy basses do make Hail's look nearly reasonable, in the same way a morbidly obese person makes a merely fat person look normal.)

You seem a little concerned with spectacle or looks rather than creative potential or use. It's like criticising someone's book because you think that the binding is weird. If the book were bad, sure, but while I find people like Jean Baudin boring to listen to, he's still made something of the instruments he uses. Treating what he plays on like a bass is almost a false equivalency in either case; he seems to treat it more like a guitar  with a shit ton of range or a chapman stick than he does a bass.

EDIT: sorry, got ninja'd on account of slow typing
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
for what it's worth, i used to have an 8 string N/S Stick but sold it cause it didn't feel enough like a bass

i don't play my 7 string too much, but it's important for me to experiment because i intend to do a lot of live looping and working without a guitarist whenever i actually do play live again. since i have 0 need to do music for money, i'm willing to be annoyingly experimental

also, one of my favorite bassists plays a 15 and 18 string:

Quote by jonriley64

Anyway, back on topic.  Which of you two candidates is less likely to declare war on North Korea?  The world needs to know.

i stand with dprk, kill the american dogs
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 14, 2017,
Quote by jonriley64

I promise to declare war on pick gnomes. We must secure the existence of our picks and a future without pick gnomes.
Quote by theogonia777
I promise to declare war on pick gnomes. We must secure the existence of our picks and a future without pick gnomes.

i don't own a single pick of any kind at my house
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i don't own a single pick of any kind at my house

And? Don't you care about anyone else?
Quote by theogonia777
And? Don't you care about anyone else?

only people who aren't guitarists
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
only people who aren't guitarists

Bouzouki players use picks.
Quote by theogonia777
Bouzouki players use picks.

looks like a guitar to me
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
looks like a guitar to me

you couldn't even tell an oboe from an elbow
Quote by Hail

i stand with dprk, kill the american dogs

Only the dogs?  Awww, what did those cute puppies ever do to you?