I see people mentioning Agile when people need a budget guitar, which is all well and good unless you're in Europe where shipping, import and not getting a warranty may kill the deal, so I decided to go looking and I found these guys:

https://www.boultguitars.co.uk/

A company based in the UK who build their guitars offshore and then give them a full QC, set up and finishing when they get into the UK, however their buisness model differs by allowing these guitars to be customizable to a degree by the end user. I'm not sure how far the customizations will go, but I'm assuming colour, neck profile, pickups and hardware are a few of these options.

I'm very tempted to ask them about a bass as their bass offerings are slim, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up on them, I've been following them on Instagram and other social media's for a while and they look legit.

I'm tempted to send them an email, they look cracking value for money IMO.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Aug 13, 2017,
Always nice to have options- nice find!

Just the usual thing with anything new... I'd be wary until I'd tried a few.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to be sending an email regarding a bass today.

I'll report back when I receive a reply.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The Thomann company out of Germany sells a full range of brand name instruments, much like Sweetwater in the US, but also has their own budget "house brand" Harley Benton.  I purchased a Rickenbacker-inspired 12-string electric from them, and it is a decent guitar, on par with the brands Rondo sells (Agile, Douglas, etc).  https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitars_and_basses.html
Quote by stormin1155
The Thomann company out of Germany sells a full range of brand name instruments, much like Sweetwater in the US, but also has their own budget "house brand" Harley Benton.  I purchased a Rickenbacker-inspired 12-string electric from them, and it is a decent guitar, on par with the brands Rondo sells (Agile, Douglas, etc).  https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitars_and_basses.html

I'm aware of these, but even if the quality is up there the business model is miles apart. 
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
not really any fan fret guitars though. it's like agile's less cool second cousin.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
not really any fan fret guitars though. it's like agile's less cool second cousin.

Good description.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Sent them an email regarding a flying V bass. 
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Seems really cool although if I'm honest those prices are more expensive compared to Agile and that's just on the stock models. The LP model in particular is about 150 USD more than a similar Agile model. I'd imagine custom orders would probably cost more as well. 

I do like this Boult ones better looks wise though. I'd consider one if they turn out decent. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Seems really cool although if I'm honest those prices are more expensive compared to Agile and that's just on the stock models. The LP model in particular is about 150 USD more than a similar Agile model. I'd imagine custom orders would probably cost more as well. 

I do like this Boult ones better looks wise though. I'd consider one if they turn out decent. 

Will report back when I've had a reply. 
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
So how many custom V's do you have now?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So how many custom V's do you have now?

Two :P 

We're releasing the EP soon and I'm not sure I want to take my mega expensive stuff on the road with me.

I've had a reply back, Chris over at Boult is saying that an offset V bass (Like a rhoads) is possible and he can do monthly direct debit, which is rather cool.

Current wait time is 4-5 months though
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
For how much and with what features?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
For how much and with what features?

He says "Depending on spec" 

I'm gonna send in a quote form, see if it's worth doing.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by ExDementia
Hope the price isn't too good to be true... I definitely want to try one too.

(Rhyming is fun)

hahahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that comparison with Agile is apt.

To be honest, I was mostly referring to the business model.

No idea on the quality as of yet.

Looks decent though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Sure but considering when you wrote "euro version of Agile" in your thread title I would assume people would think you meant the guitars and price first vs the business model so its a little confusing. Kinda clickbait-y too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sure but considering when you wrote "euro version of Agile" in your thread title I would assume people would think you meant the guitars and price first vs the business model so its a little confusing. Kinda clickbait-y too.

Ah! Alright, my mistake. I'll fess up there judge.

Had a response back.

We're looking at about 600 for: 

Offset Ascent body (RR style) 
five string bass with a low B
"34
Neck Dimensions
Width at first fret: 42MM. 12th fret: 58MM
Thickness at first fret: 22MM 12th fret 24MM
U shaped neck profile 
Reversed Baseball bat headstock (Same headstock as the Mothership guitars, but just the other way round)
Ebony board that's completely clean
Black Pinstripe binding

Considering the only place I could do this would be from Jackson themselves and it would cost me over 2K to do, I'm considering this strongly. 
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Ah! Alright, my mistake. I'll fess up there judge.

Had a response back.

We're looking at about 600 for: 

Offset Ascent body (RR style) 
five string bass with a low B
"34
Neck Dimensions
Width at first fret: 42MM. 12th fret: 58MM
Thickness at first fret: 22MM 12th fret 24MM
U shaped neck profile 
Reversed Baseball bat headstock (Same headstock as the Mothership guitars, but just the other way round)
Ebony board that's completely clean
Black Pinstripe binding

Considering the only place I could do this would be from Jackson themselves and it would cost me over 2K to do, I'm considering this strongly. 

600 what? Dollars? GBP? Euro? How different is that to what they commonly offer? What kind of hardware and pickups? What kind of finish? 

If that's GBP that's looking like 800 bucks USD give or take and that's with what I am assuming is in house hardware from them?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
600 what? Dollars? GBP? Euro? How different is that to what they commonly offer? What kind of hardware and pickups? What kind of finish? 

If that's GBP that's looking like 800 bucks USD give or take and that's with what I am assuming is in house hardware from them?

GBP

Stock hardware, 

Pickup will be an Duncan:  SMB-5D 

It's a little bit more than the Mothership stuff, which are the signature guitars for them. (Looking at about 519 GBP for that) but I guess it's a bit more because of the 5th string, so the hardware is a bit more expensive.

Their guitars are about 420-470 depending on spec though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
GBP

Stock hardware, 

Pickup will be an Duncan:  SMB-5D 

It's a little bit more than the Mothership stuff, which are the signature guitars for them. (Looking at about 519 GBP for that) but I guess it's a bit more because of the 5th string, so the hardware is a bit more expensive.

Their guitars are about 420-470 depending on spec though.

I know what their regular guitars cost. They still cost more than an Agile and I was curious about the custom shop in comparison to theirs. So 600 GBP for a bolt on guitar, in house hardware and what kind of finish? Is it poly? tung-oil? Any binding on the guitar? Can you chose the woods?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I know what their regular guitars cost. They still cost more than an Agile and I was curious about the custom shop in comparison to theirs. So 600 GBP for a bolt on guitar, in house hardware and what kind of finish? Is it poly? tung-oil? Any binding on the guitar? Can you chose the woods?

I went with setneck, I'll ask about the finish.

I've gone for a pinstrip binding 

Yep, woods are choosable, I went with Alder for this one.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I went with setneck, I'll ask about the finish.

I've gone for a pinstrip binding 

Yep, woods are choosable, I went with Alder for this one.

Was there an up-charge for set neck? So no binding? Pinstripe binding to me means a sticker. Any up-charges and premiums for wood choices?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Not as I'm aware, Binding is an option however, again not that I'm aware, but I'll ask.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Rondo Music's business model involves several "brands" of guitar that are significantly less expensive than what you'd expect to pay for the same brand in a brick and mortar. They import the guitars and then sell online with a cheapass website and avoid the brick and mortar layer of profit altogether. The Agile brand is their house brand and achieved its reputation because the quality was so high for the price point. The "custom" build business has varied through the years and was originally available only about once every four to six months for a two-week period. If you missed it, you waited for another four to six months. I've speculated that the prototyping shop at World was their "custom shop." My first custom Agile was extraordinary and, at $1160 with case, shipped, one of the most expensive they'd ever built. It remains a pretty spectacular guitar in terms of construction, fit and finish.

But most of their guitars weren't custom; just surprisingly good for low money.

I've seen several startups that worked off the Boult premise; "We'll order Korean guitars, do some value-added things and sell them for a profit." So far very few of these have survived past the first year. There's one struggling along now with its home on another forum and he's just completed a fire sale of half a dozen guitars of a personal design that didn't catch on.

One issue with customs is that the customer expects to be able to easily return guitars that don't meet his expectations (even if he's ordered badly), and he usually expects the vendor to bite the bullet on the costs. Very often strange color and equipment combinations are a disaster, and these end up becoming "B" stocks offered for sale cheap. Both Carvin and Rondo have "in stock" or "B stock" guitars that came back that are mostly customer glitches and/or miscommunications. That's why semi-custom guitars are noticeably more expensive, and it's also why a lot of these companies founder fairly quickly. They either don't have the capital to support idiot customer orders or they soon develop customer service issues. A couple of dissatisfied customers early on can kill the business, too, no matter whether the dissatisfaction is the company's fault or not.

I usually sit tight and wait for a while to see how these businesses will work out. Nothing like throwing a largish deposit at a company only to have them become ghosts (along with your money).
^ Yeah. I mean, being charitable, I suppose you could argue that at UK pricing those guitars maybe are cheaper than what you could get off the shelf here, lol.

But yeah other than that I agree with you (and even on the pricing, really, £600 is a fair bit for a new brand).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?