I made a similar thread cause I've changed my mind and also the links I posted before are wrong. 

Anyways, forgive me, but I need this to start fresh.

ive been using this head through my crate Excalibur cab that was meant for the crate solid state head.

the speakers are celestion greenbacks made specifically for crate, the solid state heads.

look at these tiny magnets lmao.

can we all agree i may not be getting some of the brutal chest hit out of this head as I would with a real cab meant for it? I think I should fix this issue before chasing down pedals and such.

so I here the mesa cab and orange are heavy punchers.......I keep chasing pedals and such but I think my issue is these speakers, look at them lolhttps://www.google.com/search?q=celestion+greenbacks+crate&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS719US719&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjayJ7eiIvWAhVCh1QKHcJgAXkQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=jY4cjPNssnrRFM:
Before, I was going to change speakers, but screw it im just gonna get a used cab I think, something under 500
Looks like most common cab for that head is the mesa rectifier and the orange cabs. Pry just go that route.
IMO the 6505+ works extremely well with Vintage 30 loaded cabs. I used my old one with a mesa 4x12, sounded killer. Just not an apartment friendly rig For $500, there's the Mesa or Orange 1x12 V30 loaded cabs. But that's quite a bit of cash for a 1x12. You should be able to find their 2x12 cabs used for that amount. Or go with a new Avatar cab. Looks like their summer sale on the Budget Contemporary 212 with Vintage 30s is still on. $350 with free shipping on a well built cab. If I needed another, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I've actually suffered for a while with an upgraded Crate cab, I changed the speakers to 2 Eminence and 2 Celestions (just speakers I had laying about) in diagonal config, and had to dampen the insides with a top mattress foam to kill the nasty resonance of the Crate construction. It worked out OK, but in the end I was happy to get rid of it.
Quote by diabolical
I've actually suffered for a while with an upgraded Crate cab, I changed the speakers to 2 Eminence and 2 Celestions (just speakers I had laying about) in diagonal config, and had to dampen the insides with a top mattress foam to kill the nasty resonance of the Crate construction. It worked out OK, but in the end I was happy to get rid of it.

Interesting, what speakers were originally in it, what cab was it...........if u remember 
Quote by DarthV
IMO the 6505+ works extremely well with Vintage 30 loaded cabs. I used my old one with a mesa 4x12, sounded killer. Just not an apartment friendly rig For $500, there's the Mesa or Orange 1x12 V30 loaded cabs. But that's quite a bit of cash for a 1x12. You should be able to find their 2x12 cabs used for that amount. Or go with a new Avatar cab. Looks like their summer sale on the Budget Contemporary 212 with Vintage 30s is still on. $350 with free shipping on a well built cab. If I needed another, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I find the 6505 to sound pretty good at low volume, for just practicing, yeah maybe an apartment is kinda tough. I play loud at my small house but I always tell my neighbors I will keep it no more than an hour. You just gotta communicate with ppl sometimes.
6505+ is an ultra high gain amp that doesn't need an overdrive pedal. The amp is mid-scooped by designing meaning most Overdrive pedals will change the EQ bump, The TS9 boosts the mid-range. The 808 doesn't have the same mid-range boost and so you don't alter the scooping tone. Use your TS9 as a boost. Drive to 0. Volume up. Tone your choice, but drive on 0. If you still get mud your gains up too high somewhere, amp etc. If you want to boost, then don't up the gain on the amp, use the ODs volume. Eventually I just ended up replacing my OD pedals on board with proper pre-amp boosts for my high gain amps so that doesn't change the tones EQ. An EQ pedal also makes these amps for versatile. 
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at Sep 10, 2017,
Quote by Deermonic
6505+ is an ultra high gain amp that doesn't need an overdrive pedal. The amp is mid-scooped by designing meaning most Overdrive pedals will change the EQ bump, The TS9 boosts the mid-range. The 808 doesn't have the same mid-range boost and so you don't alter the scooping tone. Use your TS9 as a boost. Drive to 0. Volume up. Tone your choice, but drive on 0. If you still get mud your gains up too high somewhere, amp etc. If you want to boost, then don't up the gain on the amp, use the ODs volume. Eventually I just ended up replacing my OD pedals on board with proper pre-amp boosts for my high gain amps so that doesn't change the tones EQ. An EQ pedal also makes these amps for versatile. 

Once I change this cab I may look at the eq pedals.  In my maxon vs tube screamer thread they say no difference between the two pedals lol. Idk what to think anymore On that subject. 
Quote by SUDJIAN
Once I change this cab I may look at the eq pedals.  In my maxon vs tube screamer thread they say no difference between the two pedals lol. Idk what to think anymore On that subject. 

If it sounds bad then its not compatible for what you want. I think ODs have difference responses hence why some are highly customizable like EQD Palisades. I just use boosts on high gain amps and keeping fighting against adding more gain or else its mud and that means no tone. Also its likely your TS9 isn't true bypass. So it will likely alter tone.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
Also its likely your TS9 isn't true bypass. So it will likely alter tone.

TS9's are buffered pedals, but honestly they have decent enough buffers in them from my experience.

It isn't the additional gain that pedals like tubescreamers offer which are the real benefit with something like a 6505. What it offers is an EQ stage that lends itself well to the natural tonality of the amp. It tightens the low end to reduce muddiness and it increases the upper mids to help the amp cut through in a band mix. This EQ effect just so happens to sound great with such an amp and when the secret got out, everybody and their dog has been doing it ever since. The fact that its an overdrive pedal which is creating this effect is nowhere near as relevant as the function of EQ'ing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
https://reverb.com/item/3292270-crate-gx412xr-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet-made-in-usa

I think this was it.

I changed to 2 Eminence originals (dunno what they're now as when I bought them they only made one model.
Celestions were G12T75.

The Excalibur speakers/cab construction might actually be better.
Quote by SUDJIAN

There isn't a huge difference between them when being used as a boost. Barely any difference, in fact. IMO, most ODs sound very similar when used as clean boosts into high gain amps. There are differences, and I certainly prefer some over others, but they don't completely alter the character of your amp like an EQ in the loop can.

Contrary to what was said earlier in this thread, 6505s are not "mid-scooped" by any means. They are some of the mid-y-est amps out there. I use my EQ in the effects loop to cut/tame some of the cocked wah sounds in the 500hz range because there's too much there IMO.

Perhaps the most important thing a TS does is to cut the low end flub from your guitar/pickups before it enters your preamp. The mid boost in the upper mids can help a 6505 cut through a mix even more, but it's not like they need it. Trimming that low end up front helps clean up the tone and you can actually dial in more bass on the amp then without it getting muddy and loose.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
SUDJIAN Definitely try to find something with Vintage 30's. I have an old Peavey 5150 that I pair up with an orange PPC412 and it sounds phenomenal!
Quote by blackveilsirens413
SUDJIAN Definitely try to find something with Vintage 30's. I have an old Peavey 5150 that I pair up with an orange PPC412 and it sounds phenomenal!

Right on man, yeah im trying to find a mesa recto cab at guitar center for under 5 that not beat to hell.
Some sleeper V30 cabs are the Carvin Legacy and some Crate Blue Voodoo.

I have limited cab experience but after hearing the difference between v30s in a Peavey 5150 212 combo and a Mesa Roadster 212 combo I'm a bit of a believer in the cab design.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Mesa but I'm becoming a bit of a fanboy.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Someone mentioned that 6505 is a mid scooped amp, this is absolutely wrong. The mids on this amp are very pronounced.
I'd suggest also checking out an Engl cab with V30's. They sound a little darker than a mesa and I love the tone I get out of mine.
Quote by SUDJIAN
I made a similar thread cause I've changed my mind and also the links I posted before are wrong. 

Anyways, forgive me, but I need this to start fresh.

ive been using this head through my crate Excalibur cab that was meant for the crate solid state head.

the speakers are celestion greenbacks made specifically for crate, the solid state heads.

look at these tiny magnets lmao.

can we all agree i may not be getting some of the brutal chest hit out of this head as I would with a real cab meant for it? I think I should fix this issue before chasing down pedals and such.

so I here the mesa cab and orange are heavy punchers.......I keep chasing pedals and such but I think my issue is these speakers, look at them lolhttps://www.google.com/search?q=celestion+greenbacks+crate&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS719US719&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjayJ7eiIvWAhVCh1QKHcJgAXkQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=jY4cjPNssnrRFM:

Do your old speakers say Celestion Greenback? If yes, how much do you want for them?