I am now getting into learning the different modes of the major scale. One thing that really confuses me is that there are different positions of each mode. Wouldn't changing the position of a mode aslo change the mode to a different one? For example F lydian, I start off playing it with the root note being F. Then I change the position of it and start with G instead of F. Wouldn't I be playing G mixolydian and not F lydian? I am totally confused over that you can play a mode starting on a different root note and still call it the same mode. I know that both F lydian and G mixolydian are modes of C major. Lydian and mixolydian have totally different sound qualities to each other, so why have different positions of the same mode? Should I learn each position of F lydian or just learn each mode in its root note position and then know what notes I can play that make that mode unique?
We hat you're doing has absolutely nothing to do with modes. Modes are not what degree of the scale you start on and they are certainly not based on positions. All you're doing here is playing the major scale in different positions but it is still the major scale and nit a mide. Please read the stickied modes thread if you want to learn about actual modes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.