The Official Bug Thread

UG's very own place to talk about bugs, insects, spiders, and generally just creatures with more legs than any merciful god should ever allow to walk this earth.

Let's see or hear about 'em!

This dude was trying to get into my house tonight:

Found this guy a few years ago. Right click, open picture in a new tab and zoom in, the patterns are awesome:

Randoms from hiking last month:

OK, this last one's not a bug, but I figured I would share it anyway because he looks like a stone cold killa:

Anyone else seeing any crazy ass bugs lately?

(Yes, I'm really god damn bored)
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 12, 2017,
bugs I'm used to off the top of my head:

moths can get fucked. tired of the small ones eating holes in all my wool clothes. main reason I don't buy cashmere any more and usually just plain avoid wool (wool is cheaper though so it's usually not the end of the world ditching some £20 sweater). eg I was checking a blazer I keep in a near airtight suit bag but rarely wear and they managed to squeeze in and eat two big holes in the sleeve. the bigger fuzzy ones are just gross to look at and I don't like the way they move.

butterflies are kinda cute but dumb and are essentially pretty moths to me, so I have mixed feelings.

beetles are legit awesome

ants are cool but I don't want them near me. ant flies are yucky.

slugs and snails are cool and I try to help them out when they are sitting somewhere precarious that will get them crushed or eaten soon. hate the way they all turn up to walk over the pavement on my street (lots of houses have front bushes) when it rains a little because I don't want to step on them (when it's dark and rained recently I always end up hearing one crunch no matter how carefully I try and walk down the street). I feel kinda bad that they seem to get picked on the most by birds around here.

crickets are funny.

ladybugs are cute and I like how they eat up aphids wrecking our plants.

cockroaches are fascinating but disgusting, don't really encounter them though.

most flies are annoying but I don't mind them if they don't fly in my face. loud buzzing ones are not cool though.

bees are awesome

wasps and hornets should all burn

mosquitoes can join the wasps in hell

dragonflies are creepy but cool to look at

woodlouse are cute and hilariously dumb and I feel bad for the amount that must get murdered while climbing up our drains

spiders are bros and the only bug I'll tolerate creeping around my house. also only bug I'm always cool with picking up and handling.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
theguitarist

Moths are cute

It won't let me embed for some reason but here's an interesting little friend I found a few weeks ago. I've never seen a ladybug with that colouration before, I guessing it's actually an invasive species and that I probably should've squished it

https://i.imgur.com/PcEgjFZr.jpg

zgr0826

do yo thang and close this muffaka nobody likes creepy crawlies or creeps who like crawlies
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 12, 2017,
I like some bugs tho.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by theguitarist
spiders are bros and the only bug I'll tolerate creeping around my house. also only bug I'm always cool with picking up and handling.

Yes, this! Unless spiders are making webs in obvious places, I usually give them a fist bump, or a wink and a nod at least. Those little heros take care of all the actually annoying bugs that get in your house and fly around.

My lady gets annoyed, "OMG, why didn't you kill it??"

Because they're the heros we deserve, AND need!

Bladez22 Yeah, an invasive species... In our hearts.
You can't say you like bees but hate on wasps, they're both legit the same thing it's you hate none of them or you hate all of them
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
You can't say you like bees but hate on wasps, they're both legit the same thing it's you hate none of them or you hate all of them

bees keep to themselves

wasps are always looking to start shit

wasps also love making nests in brickwork, bees know better than to try human patience.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Bees make honey and pollinate crops. Wasps are just assholes.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by cha33 armstrong

Bees are made from sunshine, wasps are made from spite. One makes honey and only stings if it's life is in danger, the other makes nothing but misery and stings for a laugh

Also I don't hate wasps, they make me laugh because they're little balls of anger

Some spiders get the boot from me though, mainly if they're the kind that bit me and are too big to catch easily in a glass
Quote by zgr0826
Bees make honey and pollinate crops. Wasps are just assholes.

wasps/hornets pollinate to some extent and I think they sometimes eat smaller plant pests so they aren't totally bad but I'd take more bees and other insects doing that job over them any time.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Oh and cool spider story:

Me and my little brother were out in the back garden about 6 years ago, it was the summer and bug season. He found a bug buzzing around near the floor and bent over to have a look, I saw what was going on and quickly told him to get back/don't mess with it because it was a massive wasp, the wasp buzzed about menacingly and landed on the floor by the shed. My little brother then raised a foot to stamp on it, when a massive spider jumps out from under the shed, grabs the wasp, and drags it back under. The spider came and went in the time it took my little brother to simply raise his foot, he was left stunned, foot hanging air. Honestly was one of the coolest things I've seen
Quote by theguitarist

slugs and snails are cool and I try to help them out when they are sitting somewhere precarious that will get them crushed or eaten soon. hate the way they all turn up to walk over the pavement on my street (lots of houses have front bushes) when it rains a little because I don't want to step on them (when it's dark and rained recently I always end up hearing one crunch no matter how carefully I try and walk down the street). I feel kinda bad that they seem to get picked on the most by birds around here.
urgh i can't count how many times i stepped on slugs when i lived in rhyl. worst feeling and sound in the world
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Flip a quarter around some dragon flies and watch what happens.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by ExDementia
This dude was trying to get into my house tonight:
Why do I have the sudden urge to give this grasshopper 20$?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Igor Stravinsky

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Had to go back and find this video from maybe 5 years ago. My now fiancee and I were staying at this hotel in Texas and they had something of a cockroach infestation.

She clearly wasn't as amused as I was by our little house guest:
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Why do I have the sudden urge to give this grasshopper 20$?

Dank reference tbh.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by ExDementia
Had to go back and find this video from maybe 5 years ago. My now fiancee and I were staying at this hotel in Texas and they had something of a cockroach infestation.

She clearly wasn't as amused as I was by our little house guest:
i was in mexico a few years back over christmas. went to sleep and felt something brush my arm but didn't think much of it. was half asleep when i thought i felt something on my face, turns out mr cockroach was stuck in my beard lol
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me