Okay. So what are some pieces of gear (most likely used and mostly rare or for a bargain) that slipped away from you for whatever reason before you can snatch them? It could be because you decide to think about it for a day and that's all it took for some other chump to pick it up or maybe you just couldn't financial swing it either because you just didn't have the money or you had the money but just couldn't justify it in the end. Maybe you just didn't have room or need for it. Either way, you're kicking yourself and continue to do so every time.

For me one of the biggest was missing out on a National Grand Console (black body with creme fretboard) for 500 including shipping when shopping for a more portable alternative to my D12. I ended up with a Melobar CC-8 which I love and which is probably the most portable string instrument I own, but I still think it would be so cool to have the Grand console because a) they're gorgeous, b) having old instruments is always neat (I've seen them 49-51 but don't know actual production years but it can't be too far outside of that, and c) it's a double neck so that means I could have a C6 and an E9 or B11. So many options. I still see them for around the same, but now that I have the Melobar, I can't justify getting one.

The other one that I also can't justify is when I see Casio Az-1s on Reverb or wherever. Even if they are like 300 I just can't spend that I wouldn't really use. I guess it's the same with old 80s Bandit 65s and old distortion pedals, especially Sovtek Big Muffs. Want them but don't need them. Lotta distortion pedals I missed because of being too slow.

What about the rest of you?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
When I was just a young lad (16-17) I came across a Sunn Model-T at a garage sale for maybe $100. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I thought it looked cool and knew I had seen the logo before. I only had maybe $50 on me, and the man wouldn't take it. I planned to go home and borrow more from my mom and come back that day, but then I went to my friend's house instead and his cute cousin was staying with him, so naturally I completely forgot about the amp and stayed over at his house that night.

I went back a week later and knocked on the guy's door, but he had already sold it. I was disappointed, but wasn't until later I realized just how much I missed out on. Oh, and I didn't have any luck with my friend's cousin either, so it was a loss on all fronts.
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 12, 2017,
I'm pretty bad at buying gear that's too cheap to pass up so I can't really think of any that I have actually missed out on. The closest I could think of is maybe not getting my Gladiator LP in the color I wanted initially but I liked the top better on the one I ended up getting so I wasn't really cut up about it. 

On the flip-side, there are a few pieces of gear that I sold that I kind of miss. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm pretty bad at buying gear that's too cheap to pass up so I can't really think of any that I have actually missed out on.

I'm like this with things in general but the actual number for me is 10 bucks or so so I tend not to impulse like $20 Boss pedals because is more than I want to spend on one item. So over a few months I spend $100 on stuff I shouldn't but can't bring myself to put a pedal. I would probably jump on an XT-2 for like 30 or 40 though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just missed out on a Godin Icon 2 with 3 Lollar P90s- no reserve eBay auction went for @$380.

And others besides...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by theogonia777
I'm like this with things in general but the actual number for me is 10 bucks or so so I tend not to impulse like $20 Boss pedals because is more than I want to spend on one item. So over a few months I spend $100 on stuff I shouldn't but can't bring myself to put a pedal. I would probably jump on an XT-2 for like 30 or 40 though.

I don't really mean cheap in the sense that its not worth a lot, I mean moreso when people under-value their gear. I probably wouldn't have an R8 if I wasn't bad like that

Quote by ExDementia
H4T3BR33D3R I've heard about those before, what's special about the Gladiators? Aren't they made in China and kinda meh?

I mean, if a solid flame maple top, long neck tenon, african mahogany body, 1 pc mahogany necks with FEB and proper headstock and neck pitch is kind of meh, then your idea of an LP must be amazing.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Oh damn, OK never saw one like that. I have only come across the LP Juniors, for some reason I just sort of assumed that was all they made: https://reverb.com/item/3496-gladiator-les-paul-junior-2012-black

I played one in a pawn shop and it seemed pretty meh to me, but in fairness, it did have old, crappy strings and a pretty poor setup.
Quote by ExDementia
H4T3BR33D3R Oh damn, OK never saw one like that. I have only come across the LP Juniors, for some reason I just sort of assumed that was all they made: https://reverb.com/item/3496-gladiator-les-paul-junior-2012-black

I played one in a pawn shop and it seemed pretty meh to me, but in fairness, it did have old, crappy strings and a pretty poor setup.

I'd say that probably had a lot more to do with it.

The one I have, they were only able to make about 25-50 of them before they got a C&D from Gibson. Amazing spec for the price. It's like an Epiphone Tribute on roids.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by theogonia777
Okay. So what are some pieces of gear (most likely used and mostly rare or for a bargain) that slipped away from you for whatever reason before you can snatch them?

I've mostly had pretty good luck on gear. I've turned down some things that I'd considered and then decided not to buy, but no regrets.
I've got a few vintage pieces, but I don't relish the role of "caretaker", holding onto a guitar and keeping it as nice as possible so that someone else can have it. I do have a few of those, but avoided some others.

I did miss out on a Lotus Europa TwinCam, however. Found it on Craigslist, told the guy I was going to the bank for the money. Gone for an hour and he'd sold it to someone else. Even that worked out, however. I went back, looking for another, and hit "LA" before I hit "LO". It was a Lamborghini and I've had it ever since.
Quote by dspellman
I did miss out on a Lotus Europa TwinCam, however. Found it on Craigslist, told the guy I was going to the bank for the money. Gone for an hour and he'd sold it to someone else. Even that worked out, however. I went back, looking for another, and hit "LA" before I hit "LO". It was a Lamborghini and I've had it ever since.
Nnnooooooo! Damn that's a tragedy. I have a strange love for the Europa.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't really mean cheap in the sense that its not worth a lot, I mean moreso when people under-value their gear. I probably wouldn't have an R8 if I wasn't bad like that

I really don't buy anything beyond what I need. I have only ever owned 5 guitars (did not own an acoustic until ten years into guitar playing), 4 amps (all solid state combos--fight me =P ), 1 multi-fx, 10 other effect pedals (5 distortion, 2 volume, wah, Whammy, and a Decimator), and none of the amps cost more than 350, the most expensive guitar was 650, my most expensive piece of gear is my D12 which was 1000 plus shipping and is worth about 1800 (the original price would be in the 4000 range today though), and I only have one other piece of gear that cost more than 1000 new (which I got used for 500).

So I don't really buy any expensive stuff for the most part mostly because when it comes to music, I am very good about only buying things I really want or need and since guitar is not my main instrument, I don't really have a huge need for pedals since most of my instruments are acoustic and most of those are without pickups anyway. Out of the electrics I have, I mostly do recording work and so I don't really need pedals other than a volume pedal for the steels and possibly a wah and when I gig I'm perfectly content with running an ME-80 into whatever.
Quote by theogonia777
I really don't buy anything beyond what I need. I have only ever owned 5 guitars (did not own an acoustic until ten years into guitar playing), 4 amps (all solid state combos--fight me =P ), 1 multi-fx, 10 other effect pedals (5 distortion, 2 volume, wah, Whammy, and a Decimator), and none of the amps cost more than 350, the most expensive guitar was 650, my most expensive piece of gear is my D12 which was 1000 plus shipping and is worth about 1800 (the original price would be in the 4000 range today though), and I only have one other piece of gear that cost more than 1000 new (which I got used for 500).

So I don't really buy any expensive stuff for the most part mostly because when it comes to music, I am very good about only buying things I really want or need and since guitar is not my main instrument, I don't really have a huge need for pedals since most of my instruments are acoustic and most of those are without pickups anyway. Out of the electrics I have, I mostly do recording work and so I don't really need pedals other than a volume pedal for the steels and possibly a wah and when I gig I'm perfectly content with running an ME-80 into whatever.

Yeah for me it wasn't really so much of a need thing because IMO nobody really needs really expensive gear like that but it was something I definitely wanted and because guitar was really the only thing I was into at the time I went for it.

That being said, nowadays I don't really buy guitars or guitar gear very much. I'm spending most of my cash on other gear and VSTs

I won't fight you about the SS combos. I just recently sold my last tube amp and I'm running an Atomic Amplifire into a power amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by ExDementia
Nnnooooooo! Damn that's a tragedy. I have a strange love for the Europa.

I had a '73 JPS (dark blue) for about three years. At one pointed added a turbo. Divorced it, couldn't afford to buy it back when it showed up at the same dealer I bought it from originally. ACK. Amazing car.
The immediate and obvious one for me is when I went to the used shop and they had a Mesa Mark IV with the Wicker finish and it was $500 bucks.  I told them to hold it while I went to the bank (at the time I wasn't carrying cards).  I showed up a couple hours later and it was sold.  Another employee seen it and snatched it for themselves.  To make it worse, I knew someone who worked there, and they told me they ended up putting it on payment plan through payroll for 50 a month.  Shouldn't matter to me, but it did

"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
One time, I was at a local Guitar Center and found a used Epiphone SG for $200. Pretty standard, right?

Wrong.

This was an MIJ Epiphone Elitist SG. The staff at Guitar Center apparently didn't know the difference and priced it like a used Chinese G400.

I was pretty broke at the time and didn't have $200 to spare until my next paycheck, at which point the MIJ SG was gone.
I have missed out on several Godins, a nice Patrick Eggle, a Fernandez SHIN Koi Ravelle and- amusingly- the first Reverend I wanted to buy. In each case, I wanted to "think about it" overnight before buying, and got ninja'.

When looking for my first electric, I waited too long on a gorgeous turquoise blue quilted PRS, and also missed out on a Fernandes Stormtrooper Revolver (had no idea about Fernandes guitars then), and a particular Dean Time Capsule Cadillac.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I played a cheapass Epiphone PR-150 that had been setup in a local shop. It was a great little axe, but I passed as I got a high end guitar instead. When I decided to go back to the shop and get it, it was gone
I specced out a US Masters Hornet similar to this one:

But I wanted a trio of passives. Maaaaaybe a translucent colored tint to the spalted maple finish. The company owner actually contacted me about it, and what some other options might cost.

Unfortunately, before I could assemble the funds, US Masters was out of business. Shop closed; equipment auctioned off.

I've only seen a couple of Hornets pop up on the used market since then. The last was one that had been refurbed & rewired to operational status after being damaged by a fire. Someone bought it for @$1200, even though the refurbisher didn't even use the pickups US Masters used to use*.
https://reverb.com/item/643537-us-masters-hornet-custom-floyd-usa-2009-spalted-maple

* Kent Armstrongs, as I recall

Red knob Fender Champ 12 - was going cheap, needed some repair work, one of the guys in the shop who hadn't been there while I was there didn't realise there was anything wrong with it or that I'd 'claimed' it for whenever it was repaired, and sold it in that state...

...concerningly enough, whoever bought it never brought it back reporting any fault with it. Maybe that one just didn't like me?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I can't say that I missed out on any really rare or significant pieces of gear that were not completely out of my reach as far as price is concerned.

I did attempt to buy a really nice Ibanez Prestige with case from some kid on CL he only wanted $500 for it an it was near mint, unfortunately I had $300 wrapped up on a Martin acoustic in lawaway @ a pawn shop and it was closed for the day. I told the kid I'd have the money the next day once I was able to get a refund and he agreed that would be OK. Low and behold the next day I could not get in touch with him I tried for two consecutive days after that and no luck so I gave up and went to put the martin in the layaway again but it was gone. The kid with the Ibanez contacted me a week later but I had already spent the money.

For me "the one that got away" was a guitar that I had already owned and was forced to sell to pay bills after I was married and having to be a responsible grown up. It was a 1991 MIJ Charvel Fusion Custom and was the first real quality guitar I had ever owned I bought it new in 91 and sold in 98. I always regretted selling that one it was a beautiful candy blue super strat with a Shaller Floyd. fast forward 15 years and after not seeing one on the used market during that time I found one in near mint condition, made in 1989 it was completely stock in candy magenta at GC and went immediately after work to put money down on it and unless it is stolen or burns in a house fire I do not plan on letting go of it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 13, 2017,
Had a deal with a guy for an UAD Apollo quad 16 for €1200, suddenly never heard of him again. He probably got offered more money and didn't bother to get back to me to hear my offer ? O . o don't know.
And before i have 3000+ to spare for one....

Oh well, too good to be true
Last edited by AEnesidem at Sep 13, 2017,
I have made some bad purchases and even worst trades. When I want something bad enough I have a habit of not waiting and analyzing the cost or trade enough. I jump at it and have had to live with a few horrible deals. Here's a few of my worst.

1. In the mid 80's I traded a Gibson 1968 Flying for a Roland Space Echo and a beat up Tele.

2. In the late 80's when I needed a few bucks quickly, I put up a late 60's possibly early 70's Gibson 1275 double neck in excellent condition on consignment at a music store and ended up with only $600 back to me.

3. In 1974-75 I traded a black face (pre CBS) Fender Twin in great condition for an Acoustic 150 solid state amp with two cabs. 

There were others but those were the worst.

This is timely thread. Back in January I heard that Epiphone would be releasing a "Johnny A" signature modal guitar. I have wanted one of these for a few years now but the Gibson modal is $4,000 and up and is way out my price range. The Epiphone they said would be available for $1,000 but only on a very limited basis. I waited to hear about a release date and finally got an email from Epiphone saying that some on line sellers were taking advance orders. By the time I got around to ordering I could not find anyone who had not already filled their quota of pre-orders. The guitar was supposed to be released in August. I got myself on two lists as an alternate purchaser should one become available but I had was resigned to not getting one. Last night I got a call from Sweetwater asking me if I still wanted one as they got a few extra from Epiphone. Mine is being delivered tomorrow.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
3. In 1974-75 I traded a black face (pre CBS) Fender Twin in great condition for an Acoustic 150 solid state amp with two cabs.

Ouch!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge