So everyone has their bucket list but what specifically is you list regarding music?

I tried to avoid things like "write No 1 hit" or "win Grammy" on my lost since those are too vague. In no order:

1. Sing "The Kid" for Buddy Mondlock
2. Hang out with Les Claypool again but with my banjo on me this time
3. Do a track with Kool Keith and Ziggy Marley
4. Play "Lost in the Feeling" for a wedding as the "first dsnce" song
5. Play banjo on Mephisto, the last remaining German A7V
6. Produce a neo-traditional country album for Taylor Swift after her career is dead
7. Create the shreddiest album ever with Mick Barr

That's what I can think of at the moment. 7 might actually happen though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Off the top of my head,

Get into some serious collabs with people like Jim O'Rourke, Otomo Yoshihide, etc.
Get a proper drone/EAI setup going and make something of it, if only develop some kind of community in a city I live in
Learn some proper music theory/composition skills and start developing things that weren't blatantly made for one performer/sound like there's a band needed for the piece
Smoke weed with Dylan Carlson (if he's still doing that) and play random shit together
Get something more ambient/experimental going, perhaps related to former interests, with saxophone again and devote the time/money needed to it
quit buying expensive instruments and do something useful with my life
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hail 

I can empathise with that, and I've been thinking about a thread on changing musical interests, pretty much on that theme. So my nirvana/list topper would be to be completely satisfied with one basic cheap guitar.

In the realms of complete fantasy, I would like to be able to play flamenco and/or Latin.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 12, 2017,
1) be able to play the music I hear in my head.
2) be able to write down the music I hear in my head

The two are intertwined issues. My ability to read music has severely atrophied. If I can figure out the initial note of a written piece, I can probably play it, since I have a great intuitive feel for the intervals depicted, but if you asked me to name a note or pick out a C on the staff? Forget it.

Which means that I can't write down pieces I have composed.

Which also means that every time I play one of my compositions, I'll change it in some way..possibly altering the way I play it forever after. And of course, any pice of music I hear in the interim may similarly affect my recollection of my own music.

Or worse, if I have a musical hiatus, I may forget a piece entirely.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by theogonia777
dannyalcatraz

Just write it down in tablature.

That's it! That will....waitaminit...

Quote by NeoMvsEu
dannyalcatraz, how well can you sing the ideas in your head? Finding a handheld recorder can help.

Singing the tunes is no problem. That's actually a big part of my brute force approach to composition. Even so, I still run the risk of altering it because it hasn't been affixed to some permanent medium.

But remember that recent thread asking about the interaction between the Internet and lazy musicians? Well, "Lazy musicians! Raise your hands!"

*raises hand*

I have an actual cassette recorder & Teac mic I haven't used in years, Korg Pandora's that have never been used as PC interfaces, and a Tascam GT-R1 that has never even had its microphones tested...and that's a feature I considered to be a major selling point for me.

TL, DR: despite having recording gear, I haven't recorded anything beyond a couple practice exercises, Don't ask me why; it just is.

(No sympathy earned or asked for.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I think that alterations aren't necessarily bad; experiments within the form (even with the form) can produce interesting results.

I have a cheap Zoom mic/field recorder, but since I don't have to listen to real-life sounds to write ideas down, it's more used as the best mic I have around (lol)
Alterations aren't inherently bad or good, I agree. But if you have something you think is good and then lose your grip on it, that's bad, even if you subsequently subjectively improve upon it.

To illustrate: I had a composition I was working on while sitting in a courtyard near a fountain, on a partly cloudy day with a nice breeze. The day slipped into early evening as I plated around with it. Eventually, though, I went to dinner. Then to sleep.

Next day, I tried to play it. But I lost the percussive riff I thought made the piece.

I've revisited that composition many times and made something very good of it...but that lost riff haunts me. I don't even know if I recaptured it or if it has eluded me to this day.

Quote by NeoMvsEu

I have a cheap Zoom mic/field recorder, but since I don't have to listen to real-life sounds to write ideas down, it's more used as the best mic I have around (lol)

I really want one of those, easier to setup than a mic->audio interface->DAW and better sound quality than my phone. Need to keep an eye out for used ones.

What about my bucket list then... I haven't given this any thought before

1. Actually get a good rig. I have good enough gear to throw gigs and stuff, but I'd like to get a couple of good basses, a good bass amp like a MarkBass and a small pedalboard. I'd like to upgrade my electric guitar stuff as well, with a new instrument and a small home amp. This isn't ambitious or anything but I've never had much money so it's actually a big thing for me.

2. Releasing my own album. I don't mean like doing a bedroom black metal thing, I'd love to compose a long, coherent album (probably a mix of pop, jazz, rnb/soul, big band stuff and rock, basically popular music for a larger orchestra), hire musicians, record it properly, and throw some promotional gigs. I just need to get down to writing more music and then get rich to cover the expenses.

3. Make more of a name for myself in the local scene. I already have plenty of contacts among musicians and audio techs around here, but I'd like to do more. I'm especially interested in the musical scene, which is what I have most experience with, but I'd like to be one of those guys who people actually request and recommend for gigs and sessions etc. I'm kind of a long way from there since I lack live experience, but now that I've settled down at this city and started making contacts I'm slowly getting there.

4. Learn a wind instrument. An orchestral woodwind like a clarinet would be swag. But I'd just like to get experience with wind instruments, I think it could really boost my overall musicianship.

5. Making a music related youtube channel. I know this is silly, but I'd love to do it. Just talking about music, culture, composition, stuff like that. I'm not talking about either a "5 things to know about guitar playing" channel, nor a "random trivia about music you didn't know" channel, I mean something that could actually help people understand music, compose their own work and stay motivated.

6. Getting a doctorate in musicology. Already working on that technically, even if I have my bachelors and masters on the way first
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by NeoMvsEu
I think that alterations aren't necessarily bad; experiments within the form (even with the form) can produce interesting results.

When you think about it, the majority of music in human history has remained unwritten and many tunes have been subject to countless changes on a micro level. A lot of musical traditions remain strictly aural to this day and many types of music like jazz and bluegrass are built on playing improvised variations on a melody (although jazz tends to deviate much farther from the melody of course). It's also not uncommon to see rock bands make minor changes to riffs or whatnot during live performances.

Furthermore an important concept in classical music is variations in a theme. A composer presents a theme and then develops it through various iterations but the theme remains recognizable. A large numbers of those variations came through trial and error. The concept of variations on a theme is also a fundamental aspect of many black and death metal bands. Songs consist if maybe a dozen or so different riffs over five minutes, but when examined carefully many riffs are built around the same motif so that you have only two or three seperate riffs with the rest being variations thereof.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I would be remiss however if I neglect to note that on occasion such experimentIng has yielded highly negative results; a perfect illustration of this would be Bill Monroe coming to the egregious conclusion that it was somehow acceptable for rational people to play Shady Grove in a major key. The results were a disaster but far more tragic is that people picked up on Monroe's folly and proceeded to imitate such an abrurbity. The result is a solemn tune of quiet dignity being commonly paraded around like a majestic beast in costume. You done fucked up on that one, Bill.
Quote by theogonia777
I would be remiss however if I neglect to note that on occasion such experimentIng has yielded highly negative results; a perfect illustration of this would be Bill Monroe coming to the egregious conclusion that it was somehow acceptable for rational people to play Shady Grove in a major key. The results were a disaster but far more tragic is that people picked up on Monroe's folly and proceeded to imitate such an abrurbity. The result is a solemn tune of quiet dignity being commonly paraded around like a majestic beast in costume. You done fucked up on that one, Bill.

I'll give you another: I know of a version of "Take Five" done in 4/4. It just sounds wrong. It lost its...bounce & verve.

Side note: I mentioned this to a buddy of mine who is a phenomenal jazz pianist. He was sitting at Mom's piano at the time, and actually tried playing the song in 4/4, and saying pretty much the same thing I said. As he played on with some stinkface in evidence, I mentioned something or the effect of, "if you're going to mess with that song's time signature, at least do it in a more interesting one than 4/4, like 3/4."

So he started playing it in 3/4.

"Or 6/4."

So he started playing it in 6/4.

"Or 7/4."

He stopped, looked at me...and then started playing it in 7/4.

In my area there are some good vocal bands but they all go the route of having 3-4 singers up front who don't play any instruments and a four piece band backing them. My bucket list entry is to be in a four piece band (guitar, keys, bass, drums) where every member is a solid musician and is capable of singing lead as well as intricate harmony. No more than four musicians who play well and can tackle any vocal challenges. Dream on.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by theogonia777

I tried to avoid things like "write No 1 hit" or "win Grammy" on my lost since those are too vague.

They sound precise enough for me.

In fact, I'd be happy to write any kind of hit.  No need to be no.1.

Do they award Grammy's for longest career in music with no kind of success at all?  Oh right, I guess there'd be too many winners....
I actually have one now!  

Small, but it's to finish my Music Production Certification at Berklee.  Then use the knowledge to produce, record, mix, master my own music in my home studio, and assist my students in creating and producing their own music.

Pick up your jaw JetPenguin/Nic  

Yes, I did...yes I am.  

Best,

Sean
Sean0913

Nikko is no longer here as it was discovered that he was a husky since Nikko is a husky name and dogs are not allowed to moderate.
Quote by theogonia777
Sean0913

Nikko is no longer here as it was discovered that he was a husky since Nikko is a husky name and dogs are not allowed to moderate.

Quote by Sean0913

Small, but it's to finish my Music Production Certification at Berklee.  

oh, so you want to play guitar for a pop-reggae band?

Quote by theogonia777

dang christen can't even spell nicco's name right
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
oh, so you want to play guitar for a pop-reggae band?

It's amazing that see of these Berklee graduates are so talented but none of them can make good music.

dang christen can't even spell nicco's name right

whatever you say denace
hey, only i can pick on nic and xiaoxi
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
denace the mennis, nikko the husky, and xixi top
Quote by theogonia777
denace the mennis, nikko the husky, and xixi top

xixi top

Can we sponsor a mandatory name change for him?  This is awesome!  It must happen.

Hail - Not a pop-reggae band...I see what you did there!  

I'm thinking more Neo-Soul....

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 15, 2017,
Quote by jonriley64
They sound precise enough for me.

In fact, I'd be happy to write any kind of hit.  No need to be no.1.

Do they award Grammy's for longest career in music with no kind of success at all?  Oh right, I guess there'd be too many winners....

Missed this. I meant vague as in it's something pretty much everyone wants to do so it's not a "personal" thing. Sort of like how "being a good musician" is vague and (hopefully) ubiquitous.
Quote by theogonia777
Missed this.  I meant vague as in it's something pretty much everyone wants to do so it's not a "personal" thing.  Sort of like how "being a good musician" is vague and (hopefully) ubiquitous.

Right.  Having thought about it, my only ambitions really are the usual ones everyone probably has (except those who have already achieved them, I guess):

Make some recordings I'm happy with (of my own music);  
Put them out there somewhere;
Have people say they like them;
Have people BUY them!!

The first three have been achieved to a very small degree...  So maybe just add "more" to those.
Last edited by jonriley64 at Sep 18, 2017,