This thought just came to me, so this will pretty much be stream of consciousness, but seriously, why hasn't this become a thing? I mean, in fairness, there is an app that's literally called Guitar Karaoke, but it seems to be more of a guitar learning tool than an actual event like real karaoke is.

Guitar Karaoke could be a fun once a week/month event at a bar or small venue or youth center or something. Everyone who wants to participate would bring their guitar, sign up with the song they want to play, plug into the house system, and then do their best playing that song. Then the crowd can vote on everyone who played, and the winner gets an XXXL one-size-fits-none t-shirt and a $25 gift card to Guitar Center or something.

Of course, there is the issue of playing over guitar tracks that are already recorded in the song -- it's not like you sing over the words in a karaoke song, so the place would probably have to get special versions of popular songs just for this purpose, like they do in Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I did find a site that seems to have different backing tracks for this very purpose: http://www.guitarvoice.com/

Who knows, maybe this is a world wide phenomenon that I'm just woefully unaware of, but so far I've never heard of a place doing it.

What do you guys think? Would it be a complete shitshow of terrible Sweet Child O' Mine covers, or could it actually be something cool?
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 12, 2017,
behind_you Does anyone do live events with that? Just like Karaoke on stage, but with a guitar instead of singing. That would actually work great.

danielh123. A mix of all three. Playing the song on an actual guitar, rocking out on stage, competing for the shitty t-shirt at the end of the night. I could see it mostly working with teens.
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 12, 2017,
electric guitar cover wank fest competition for who can play stairway to heaven the worst ?

Yeah, id totally pay to see that
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 12, 2017,
Quote by ExDementia
Would it be a complete shitshow of terrible Sweet Child O' Mine covers,

Yes.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
OP needs to strongly reconsider the "Ex" in his name.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's kinda already a thing, has been for ages... they are everywhere.
Guests sign up on a list and get called up to play their guitar with the live host band.
But it's not a contest and the guests need to choose tunes the host band has heard.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Yeah its called your uncle's cover band.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
1) You'd be limited to only playing on the songs you know. And the venue is always limited by the karaoke songs they have (which would be much worse for guitar karaoke). With regular karaoke you can sort of know the main melody and bluff your way through with the lyrics and alcohol. This would be terrible in guitar karaoke.
2) You'd have less competitors, because most everyone can get drunk and open their mouths, but not as many people play guitar.
3) It'd be a bunch nerds tuning all the time.
Quote by frankv
1) You'd be limited to only playing on the songs you know. And the venue is always limited by the karaoke songs they have (which would be much worse for guitar karaoke). With regular karaoke you can sort of know the main melody and bluff your way through with the lyrics and alcohol. This would be terrible in guitar karaoke.
2) You'd have less competitors, because most everyone can get drunk and open their mouths, but not as many people play guitar.
3) It'd be a bunch nerds tuning all the time.

Also everyone can sing and (to an extent) knows something about it, which makes regular karaoke easy to relate to. Non-guitarists do not know much about the instrument and how it's played and what is easy/difficult and whatnot so it will be more boring to random spectators. 
Quote by ExDementia
That's why it wouldn't be a nightly thing, it would be something the people plan for and sign up ahead of time to do, probably a monthly contest or something. It definitely wouldn't be a spur of the moment, pick up a guitar and go type thing

So you sign up, then on the night you play your cover along to backing track or with a house band, then the best is the winner?
There's a bar here in Portland that does guitar-hero karaoke 

The fact that it's a game, and a screen shows what to do, helps with the not needing to tune thing and people not knowing how to play guitar thing.

A bit different, but kind of a step in the right direction.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Losers blaming the fact that they had to use the house system and that they didn't have their effects/amp's tone would become a thing.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

nah this sounds like a good idea. you don't get to pick the songs, you just gotta go along with it. more like a real life guitar hero battle, a song comes on and 2 players compete, the one who nails it better wins. i'm game.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
nah this sounds like a good idea. you don't get to pick the songs, you just gotta go along with it. more like a real life guitar hero battle, a song comes on and 2 players compete, the one who nails it better wins. i'm game.

Okay, well. Here's a song I really like. Why don't you pick up your guit and play right along?

Edit: Sorry. That was a 6 string bass. Changed the vid.
Last edited by frankv at Sep 13, 2017,
lel. nice song. 

it could work for songs with generic composition, predictable chord progression and distinctive and memorable melodies. it's within the realm of possibility, it's best if it's something both players have heard before a couple of times

edit: oh no you changed the song. what was the first one again, it was good
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Sep 13, 2017,
Quote by Burgery
lel. nice song. 

it could work for songs with generic composition, predictable chord progression and distinctive and memorable melodies. it's within the realm of possibility, it's best if it's something both players have heard before a couple of times

edit: oh no you changed the song. what was the first one again, it was good

It really is.  

And that would help, but you know most guitarists would still be too mediocre to pull it off.