I know this sounds a bit silly but get you get a decent trash metalish metal tone out of the humbucker on the MP Tele or will it sound like crap with high gain?
Wait, didn't i answer this yesterday?

It won't be ideal, P90's are fatter and less snappy sounding single coils. I've heard people use them for cool high gain but it's more in dirty sounding projects, not the tight metal kind. 

EDIT: oh there's a version with a bridge humbucker. Probably not ideal either but it can be used for it. 
Last edited by AEnesidem at Sep 13, 2017,
It will probably do fine as long as you have suitable amp/pedals. Top priority should be whether it feels good to play and do you like the look of it.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
It will probably do fine as long as you have suitable amp/pedals. Top priority should be whether it feels good to play and do you like the look of it.

This. Guitar will affect the tonal character but you can still easily get usable sounds for almost any genre with almost any electric guitar. That being said, hollow bodies are not ideal for metal since they are more prone to feedback, but I once played a show with a melodic death metal band where the other guitarist had to borrow the vocalist's dad's jazz box. It worked out fine. Just keep in mind that a good noise suppressor pedal is needed for single coils.

Once you know all that, you can get metal tones out of anything. However it's all about the right combination. My Tele with single coils can sound great through a cheap bass combo with a Boss MT-2 or DOD FX-86 but if I run it through my HM-2 and Studio Pro 40 (the pedal and amp used on The Left Hand Path) I can't get any good metal tone out of it. Meanwhile if I plug in my 7 through the same pedal and amp I have instant Swedish.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.