Good Afternoon,

I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Roadster because my Peavey Vypyr 60 may have died. SO the question is which OD pedal should I get with the Roadster?

I know it has a shit load of gain but I just want something that will help with the lead solos and bends N such. I was looking into the  horizon devices precision drive pedal but $220 is alot for one pedal.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks
I would think a standard TS style pedal or an SD-1 would do. If you're just boosting the front end I don't really think you need to be spending a ton of cash on an OD pedal unless it really has a ton of features you really need.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have the Precision Drive, and the thing that makes it worth the money for me (besides the attack control, which is excellent), is the gate. It's actually a pretty damn good noise gate built in, enough so that it straight up replaced my NS-2, which is saying a lot. With that much gain and a boost, you're going to want a gate anyway, so that might factor into your decision.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard to go wrong with most any TS type pedal, though some of the cheaper ones can be pretty noisy. The Maxon 808 is an obvious pick, and can be found used quite often.
Quote by ExDementia
I have the Precision Drive, and the thing that makes it worth the money for me (besides the attack control, which is excellent), is the gate. It's actually a pretty damn good noise gate built in, enough so that it straight up replaced my NS-2, which is saying a lot. With that much gain and a boost, you're going to want a gate anyway, so that might factor into your decision.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard to go wrong with most any TS type pedal, though some of the cheaper ones can be pretty noisy. The Maxon 808 is an obvious pick, and can be found used quite often.

How does that work if you wanted the 4CM a noise gate into your loop? That sounds like it would only work on your input unless it has other outputs.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Yeah, good point, it's really only for running straight into the front of the amp. If you're running the 4CM, you might want a gate in the loop anyway. That would definitely be something to consider, but for a more simple setup without too many effects, it works great.
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 13, 2017,
Quote by ExDementia
H4T3BR33D3R Yeah, good point, it's really only for running straight into the front of the amp. If you're running the 4CM, you might want a gate in the loop anyway. That would definitely be something to consider, but for a more simple setup without too many effects, it works great.

Definitely seems cool but also seems like something you could do for cheaper if you didn't need the gate considering it seems to just be an OD with a couple of tone filters. Also noticed its a signature pedal so I can't imagine that helps the price.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ExDementia I already have the ISP Decimator 2 so i think im good on that end. And I just want to get a good tight sound for the rhythm and solid leads.

Also do you run it through the FX loop or in the front?
Quote by Blckspawn
ExDementia I already have the ISP Decimator 2 so i think im good on that end. And I just want to get a good tight sound for the rhythm and solid leads.

Also do you run it through the FX loop or in the front?

ODs go in front.

Noise Suppressors can go in either setup or both depending on the pedal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, if you already have the gate, $220 is a lot of money for an OD -- even though this one is pretty damn good. I actually was able to snag one used from Guitar Center for $170, so you might be able to find them used somewhere online, but it's pretty rare given how new they are.

I think a used 808 or a Green Rhino would be good choices. Those are pretty much staples as far as ODs go.

In fact, here's one used on Reverb for a damn good price: https://reverb.com/item/6549903-way-huge-green-rhino-whe202-mkii
Get the Green Rhino, but make sure its the MkIV. The MkII is good, but the MkIV is better as has more tone shaping options.

The precision drive seems like a good pedal but it pretty pricey and I'm skeptical that the built-in noise gate can be good enough that it'll make an ISP Decimator or a TC Sentry redundant. I can see advantages in convenience if you need a really compact board, but other than that I'll stick with dedicated gates thanks.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 13, 2017,
T00DEEPBLUE My only complaint with the gate is the cut off can be a little abrupt when on higher threshold settings, but that only becomes noticeable with trailing off feedback or something similar. One thing I do like is that when it's off, it's completely off and it does not hamper harmonics or effect the tone in anyway.

Edit: From what I'm reading, the gate looks to be a borrowed circuit from the MXR Noise Clamp, which makes sense given the one knob control and how well it seems to work (though still probably not as well as a Decimator).

But still, I'd recommend the Green Rhino over the PD in this case. Never tried the MKIV, but it does look like it has the best options.
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 13, 2017,
Blckspawn congrats on the Roadster!! For boosting mine I use 2 different pedals.

I have a $30 Joyo Vintage Overdrive (yeah I know - $2500 amp, $30 pedal) that I use as a typical Tubescreamer boost - gain off and volume way up.

I also have a Budda ZenMan which is an Overdrive/TS and a clean Boost in one chassis with 2 foot switches. The ZenMan has a Vintage and Modern (more bass) switch.

I use some combination of those 3 foot switches when I want a boost.

I don't see the ZenMan leaving my board. I like what I've heard about the Green Rhino mkiv though with the bass control.

Don't get a Bad Monkey - the tone suck was huge on my setup. The Joyo replaced it.

The Roadster is like the best/dark version of a Dual Rec but with the normal clean channel swapped out for a Lonestar with the Brit and Tweed modes added in.

I think you'll want some variety in your pedals as you can pull off Country with a Tele or Strat, classic rock, hair bands, thrash, and all out downtuned modern metal from the same amp. You may want to use The gain knob on your tubescreamer with the Fat mode for instance.

Oh and to add to the noise gate conversation, the TC Sentry embarrasses the ISP Decimator (1st gen, not g-string model) on my board. The TC is much more than just cutting hiss.

Enjoy!!!!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

Oh and to add to the noise gate conversation, the TC Sentry embarrasses the ISP Decimator (1st gen, not g-string model) on my board. The TC is much more than just cutting hiss.

Indeed. The Sentry really is an amazing piece of gear. Despite being nearly half the price of the Decimator, it is several steps ahead of it in terms of design, the Toneprint functionality is insanely powerful. As a tool that gates out noise without killing the guitar signal, it just doesn't make sense to use anything else.

I want to diversify my board by using pedals from different brands, but TC makes doing that really difficult. Too many of their utility pedals are too damn good to not use.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 14, 2017,
One with true bypass.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
First of all congrats on the aquisition of the Roadster. I have had mine for about 5 years now I have no complaints about it. Have you tried using the Solo feature to boost your signal for solos?

I use my vintage Maxon built Ibanez TS9 but the built in solo boost works quite well in it's own right.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

T00DEEPBLUE yeah, I have a ton of TC stuff right now as well and don't see them going anywhere. The value and quality for the (used) price is excellent!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Evilnine Thank you! And no i havent but ill give that a try.

Right now im probably going to go with the Maxon OD808. Everything that ive heard and seen suggest that thats a solid choice. I wish I could actually try them with the Amp but the guitar center near me doesnt have alot of variety in OD/ Boost pedals
I always have really enjoyed rectifiers pushed by a timmy.

every board layout for my tremoverb has had my trusty timmy right out front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Here's my obligatory "get an OD with more than just one 'tone' knob."  Examples:  MXR Custom Modified Badass OD, Way Huge Green Rhino, Seymour Duncan 805.

With a standard Tubescreamer layout, you're stuck with the amount of bass it cuts (which will be a very important feature on your Roadster).  Tubescreamers cut some of the bass from your guitar/pickups and help focus and clean up the signal going into your preamp.  It could turn out that a standard TS like an 808 or TS-9 sounds great through your Roadster, but having owned a TS-9 and an MXR CMBadass OD, I've learned that having control over the bass cut is really, REALLY a nice feature especially if you have multiple guitars with different pickups and/or plan to get any more amps in the future.  

Using my MXR with my 6505, I find myself tweaking the bass knob depending on the guitar I'm using and also my tuning.  With one of my guitars, I actually set the pedal to cut even more bass than where it is on a neutral setting, and on my other guitar, I actually add just a hair of bass because I find the tone a little too tight.  None of that would be possible with  a standard 3-knob OD pedal.  On my Classic 30 head, I tend to boost the bass a bit because it's a thinner sounding distortion.  The bass knob warms/thickens it right up.

Rectifiers are known to be very bottom-heavy amps.  I would think you'd get a lot of utility out of an OD that you could fine-tune just the right amount of low-end and find a sweet spot.
Quote by Blckspawn
KailM So which OD Pedals should I look into?

I listed three at the beginning of my earlier post.

I haven't tried the Seymour Duncan 805-- but as far as the other two go -- Green Rhino if you want a smoother tone, MXR Custom Badass if you want a little more grit and grind. Both sound damn good.
KailM My bad I read that wrong. I thought you meant stay away from the one tone pedals. :/ 

Im just looking for something to tighten the low end. I normally play in C standard and I know at high gain the low end can sound muddy as fuck, especially with boost.
Quote by Blckspawn
I normally play in C standard and I know at high gain the low end can sound muddy as fuck, especially with boost.

Actually it's the opposite with most boosts, especially a TS style one. I use one for almost everything I do, not because my amps need more gain, but to tighten up the bottom end to make things clear and audible. I also play in C standard (and sometimes B standard and D standard), and it really helps out. I dial back the gain on the amp to compensate for the increase the boost gives, and then I'm set.
T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by ExDementia
Edit: From what I'm reading, the gate looks to be a borrowed circuit from the MXR Noise Clamp, which makes sense given the one knob control and how well it seems to work (though still probably not as well as a Decimator).

Slightly off topic for the thread, but I got confirmation from Misha Mansoor himself on the fact that the gate in the pedal is indeed a tweaked MXR Noise Clamp:

The thread can be found here: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-gear-discussion/77746-horizon-devices-precision-drive-mishas-company-2.html#post1389145
Quote by Blckspawn
What about the Mesa Flux Drive?

I'm using the Mesa Gridslammer with my Mark V. It has a lot more boost then my TS mini!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Mesa Mini Recto - I am using a Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive in front of mine and does the trick well. Don't forget that Mesa also have their line of overdrives and they work amazingly good with their gear. The Bottle Rocket or Tone Burst might be also the ticket. I have a Bottle Rocket that I love for this application but it requires its own power supply to run plate voltage, so that is the reason it is usually left out of the travel rig.