I'm wondering how your musical interests, both the kinds of music and the instruments, have changed over time.

The kinds of music I play haven't changed at all since my musically-formative years in my late teens and early 20s - folk and country blues during the folk boom of the mid-60s. My interest in instruments has evolved though. For about the first 12 years I played relatively inexpensive Japanese guitars (no Chinese back then), and it wasn't until I moved to Oz in '75 that I bought a "name" guitar, a Maton FG100. Like many enthusiasts, I gradually accumulated a collection of more or less expensive flattops, and later resos, until about 15 years ago when lap steels became popular, much like CBGs are now. I then got interested in both acoustic and vintage electric lap steels, and this finally got me into electric guitars, via good amps, after a long history of fails. Electrics guitars got me interested in modding and biulding as a hobby in its own right. 

The past few years I've been going back to my youth, the instruments don't matter too much as long as they work and look OK*, and the music, particularly technique, dominates my interests. Have any others of you reached this stage where the instruments have become relatively unimportant, or have thought from the beginning that they don't matter that much in the musical scheme of things?

*There are strict criteria, but I expect to find them just as easily in a cheap guitar as in an expensive one these days.
I didn't like bluegrass, country, or death metal when I was 16 but I liked them all by time I was 18.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
My tastes didn't so much change as broaden. I just kept accreting stuff I enjoy; there isn't a genre I used to like that I don't now...though I may not care for any of the current purveyors.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My tastes didn't so much change as broaden.  I just kept accreting stuff I enjoy; there isn't a genre I used to like that I don't now...though I may not care for any of the current purveyors.

I would still call that a change in taste, or at least mentality. Very few people actually stop liking genres altogether.

I was definitely more into guitar music as a teen than I am now. Not that I like stuff like metal music or good rock music any less than back then, but from a musicians viewpoint I'm more interested in other stuff. The major change is my mentality towards pop and hip-hop music. Just yesterday, I was at an afterparty where the event band closed their set with a cover of "toxic" by Britney Spears, and I thought it was great. Back when I was a teen there was no way I could call anything Spears-related "great" but now I have to say that tracks like Toxic and Circus are pretty kickass. I also used to be one of those "rap isn't music hurrr I'm an intelligent person" guys, and now I really have a deep appreciation for multiple rappers, like Chance the Rapper and noname to name a few, and I generally enjoy the production and work that goes into the genre.

There's a trend I've noticed, that the higher education in music I pursue, the more I run into people who appreciate pop and hip-hop. This isn't meant as anything but an observation, but I still think it's interesting. If I had to name a favorite genre in the musician community in my home city, I'd probably say hip-hop, that's something everyone seems to appreciate. And most people who play in regular bands love playing pop and dance music. I'm much the same way, a few years back I wanted to find a metal band, now I'd be happy with a band that would just play popular dance music.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
"Toxic" is the one and only Britney Spears song I like. It's a great pop song, delivered perfectly.

As for rap & hip hop, if you ever want to pick my brain about who to listen to, ask away.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!