I've been watching a couple movies about the British monarchy on Netflix, and there was a point where Queen Elizabeth saved the monarchy by realizing at some point "oh crap this is a big deal, we're losing the support of the people"-- and you know in government, it's not taught in civics anymore, but the only reason that that like, for example, we obey supreme court rulings (well, one is that we have law enforcement to force us), is that we give legitimacy to these institutions. Well, the British people give legitimacy to the monarchy, and I find that so bizarre because what does the monarchy do for them? Any guesses?

Makes em feel good! Woo! Makes em feel good!! ..Wait a minute. I'm supposed to feel good because these people are living up off the incomes of all of this land and property and so you're barely getting by living off the national health service and you.. look up to them? I find it weird

That's why we're America, that's why we broke off from them. Because King George was an ass lol.

Brits, what does the monarchy do for you? 
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Sep 14, 2017,
Quote by Carnivean
I've been watching a couple movies about the British monarchy on Netflix, and there was a point where Queen Elizabeth saved the money monarchy by realizing at some point "oh crap this is a big deal, we're losing the support of the government" -- and you know in government, it's not taught in civics anymore, but the only reason that that like, for example, we obey supreme court rulings (well, one is that we have law enforcement to force us), is that we give legitimacy to these institutions.
wow this is one sentence.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 14, 2017,
Tourism and a load of jobs.

The Royal family is also not funded solely by the taxpayer. The estates owned by the Crown also generate their own income through land and property which contribute to costs. The majority of expenditure is on staff payroll.

Somewhat ironically, the overall yearly cost is around £35 million, which is what the UK pays to the EU in membership fees per day.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

OddOneOutIf we take away the amount of money that we send to the EU that we would spend anyway on the same things to reach the targets our own government has set (aid, environmental spending etc), we only pay in £18m a day. That's effectively for access to the single market. Seems like a bargain.
Quote by Carnivean
That's why we're America, that's why we broke off from them. Because King George was an ass lol.

Shame they own a sizeable part of the Federal Reserve though eh
Quote by Deliriumbassist
OddOneOutIf we take away the amount of money that we send to the EU that we would spend anyway on the same things to reach the targets our own government has set (aid, environmental spending etc), we only pay in £18m a day. That's effectively for access to the single market. Seems like a bargain.
I'm pro-EU
The point is maintaining the royals is pennies in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I should have said "coincidentally" instead of "ironically".
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Not many people here give a shit about the monarchy and they don't do anything that affects our lives

They're a product we market to Americans so they watch shit films on Netflix and we rake in the big bananas ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿ’ฐ
I'm a republican so I won't bother trying to defend them.

but they're cute pets that objectively don't cost much to maintain as far as % of my taxes are concerned. like useless celebrities that only get attention because their dramas are entertaining and we pay for indirectly though consuming advertising around shows they are on (but royalty has that extra prestige that feels special because it feels like something that some rich asshole can't just buy their way into)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I want the queen to rise up and headbutt Theresa May

In all seriousness I think the queen is a good ambassador for the uk. Prime ministers come and go, as do foreign politicians/leaders, but the queen is always there to meet them. She does a lot of good foreign relations work and draws in a lot of tourism
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
I want the queen to rise up and headbutt Theresa May

In all seriousness I think the queen is a good ambassador for the uk. Prime ministers come and go, as do foreign politicians/leaders, but the queen is always there to meet them. She does a lot of good foreign relations work and draws in a lot of tourism

it's all good until we get someone crappy on the throne who butts their nose into how countries are run, or is just plain unpleasant but stays out of politics, although the few remaining monarchs these days know better than to do such things (in europe at least)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The monarchy does nothing for me. Their existence demonstrates a profound contempt for practicality and the notion of merit, and ideologically they're mostly a refuge for bootlickers.

Britain is unable to make the country itself interesting, so they justify royal parasitism by parading centuries of inbreeding on the streets in order to sell fridge magnets.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
As an Australian, the monarchy is pretty much tokenistic for us, but I tend to view it as like, they just go about doing their thing and not putting noses out of joint, then I'm cool with it. Not to mention Prince Phillip, despite being a racist old coot, has dedicated a lot of his time to founding and promoting various charities and philanthropic organisations, and there's various other philanthropic pursuits that various members of the royals are into as well, which is kinda cool.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
The Queen is cool okay, she's like 90 or whatever and still works most days of her life. And before you say its not 'work', work doesn't always have to be manual labour or typing things on a keyboard for it to be respectable
Quote by smithy15493
The Queen is cool okay, she's like 90 or whatever and still works most days of her life. And before you say its not 'work', work doesn't always have to be manual labour or typing things on a keyboard for it to be respectable

even harry's service wouldn't justify the living, income and endless kowtowing they receive for having been born

they're parasites m8

Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 14, 2017,
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Why does America spend hundreds of millions of dollars on research and testing for some fighter jet that actually doesn't work? So that Americans can feel safe? Because everyone is of course out to attack America with tanks and jets and submarines. If you want to talk about wasting money, just look at the rediculous amount wasted on Trump so he can fly to Florida to play golf.

I'm anti-monarchy, but the royals in England or even some Scandanavian countries just keep up a nice tradition and they're simply celebrities by birthright. As long as I don't have to work in their fields and empty their chamber pots, I couldn't care less.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
Quote by smithy15493

I agree. Today I've eaten rocky road, watched Netflix, got coffee AND played Xbox. I'm sick of people telling me it's not work.
i find the entire concept of us having a monarchy pretty unpleasant, and i find the current queen to be the least unpleasant of the bunch, which means it can only really get worse from here

as far as the cost of the royal family, a substantial part of the argument for them is that the money to support them is basically covered by income from the crown estate or whatever (which goes to the government), which imo is a pretty dumb argument if you don't believe that they have an inherent right to own all that land in the first place

and essentially yeah i do find that cost/benefit analysis aside it's a pretty unpleasant thought, at least to me, that someone gets to be my head of state - even if only in title - purely because her ancestors all fucked the right cousins (in all fairness, i think elizabeth 2: 2 fast 2 elizabeth is like, relatively un-inbred by the standards of english monarchs but those standards are pretty low and she married a close cousin herself so)

i think a lot of british people accept it because it feels vaguely like a throwback to a time when the country mattered (i.e. fucked the world) so having a queen makes us feel special
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 14, 2017,
Quote by theguitarist
I'm a republican so I won't bother trying to defend them.

Republicans are probably different in your country lol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
lowercase republican

it means what the word means
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by K33nbl4d3
lowercase republican

it means what the word means

yeah, it's the only good meaning of republican.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Go back to worshipping your flag, loser

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by kalypto
i wouldn't care if they all died simultaneously 
Seriously though, what would happen next if this were to occur?

Would everyone just go home or would they all scramble to find a new royal dude
ggg1 ggg3

From a historical perspective I quite enjoy the fact that we have an unbroken (debatable) chain of Monarchy stemming back to the Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex. I find it mind bogglingly impressive that the current Queen of England is a direct descendant of people like Alfred the Great, Edmund Ironside, William the Bastard and Richard the Lionheart. 

I think it's important people engage with history and having an active monarchy encourages interaction with history and heritage which is crucial in developing an real understanding of perspective. 

People should really study history more....

As a political body they don't have any real power. The Prime Minister has to check every law passed by Parliament with the Monarch to gain their approval but there is no real political power to refuse it. The Prime Minister is the leader of the party who has a majority in the House of Commons which is a democratic body elected with a political mandate. If she was to refuse a law passed by parliament it would cause a constitutional crises at which point the Queen would likely be deposed, unless she had the overwhelming support of the populace. 

Ergo, she can't actually do anything bad. Regarding the money they cost the country, our money goes down the drain in loads of other unimportant areas so why not the monarchy. They do wonders for tourism and at the end of the day are a part of our national culture which makes us notable to the rest of the world. 
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
Quote by OddOneOut

The Royal family is also not funded solely by the taxpayer. The estates owned by the Crown also generate their own income through land and property which contribute to costs. The majority of expenditure is on staff payroll.

Somewhat ironically, the overall yearly cost is around £35 million, which is what the UK pays to the EU in membership fees per day.

and how'd they get that ay? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress...
I have a photo of the Queen on my computer at work Long Live Lizzy
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't think rationality has anything to do with royalty. I think we probably donate more to the Kardashians for no good reason (c'mon, does anyone really need to see Kim naked again?) than the You Kay does to the Queen.
Quote by behind_you
Seriously though, what would happen next if this were to occur?

Would everyone just go home or would they all scramble to find a new royal dude

probably scramble to find a new royal dude or dudette

they would have to trace the lineage back and find whoever is nearest a relation to the current queen 

either that or they would just call it a day with the whole thing which is what i would vote for if i had any say whatsoever
Quote by OddOneOut

how and why do they own those estates? i'm not sure i'd really use that as evidence for them "paying for themselves", but that's just me.
Quote by Diamond Dave
and how'd they get that ay? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress...

probably even earlier than that. not so much exploiting the workers as just kind of taking it.

i think. i should probably look it up. but i'm guessing 1066 had something to do with it (not that the people who had it before that got it in a better way).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For real though, why does the British Crown own a lot of our Federal Reserve again? Why isn't that an infringement and real threat on our sovereignty again? What's the reason we haven't invaded them again for their economic warfare against us in 2007-2008?
Stay tuned:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Dave_Mc
probably even earlier than that. not so much exploiting the workers as just kind of taking it.

i think. i should probably look it up. but i'm guessing 1066 had something to do with it (not that the people who had it before that got it in a better way).

well yeah, I just wanted to quote Monty Python
I had the honour of staying a weekend in a castle (St Michael's Mount) with the Lord and Lady St Levin, having a private dinner with them. All the townspeople kissed their asses as if they were special in some way. What they were in reality were boring polite twats who actually thought they were better than me. I was so happy to get the fuck out of there, damp and grey in the middle of nowhere. I actually feel sorry for them
Generally, I hate british upper class. As a Canadian I laugh that we still have the Queen on our money, lol FUck off inbred ugly fuckfaces
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 16, 2017,
Quote by Tempoe
I had the honour of staying a weekend in a castle (St Michael's Mount) with the Lord and Lady St Levin, having a private dinner with them. All the townspeople kissed their asses as if they were special in some way. What they were in reality were boring polite twats who actually thought they were better than me. I was so happy to get the fuck out of there, damp and grey in the middle of nowhere. I actually feel sorry for them
Generally, I hate british upper class. As a Canadian I laugh that we still have the Queen on our money, lol FUck off inbred ugly fuckfaces
m
LOL I went there on holiday once. The son of the family hit on my sister at the local pub and he wanted her to come back to his castle afterwards. Except it was high tide so he wanted her to get in this little rowboat and he would row them across. She declined ๐Ÿ˜‚
Quote by Diamond Dave
well yeah, I just wanted to quote Monty Python

i missed the reference
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?