Hey guys,

To simply put it, I want to sound like Lamb of God but I can't get their heavy sound out of drop d tuning. Cheers!
Quote by LockieBJJ
Hey guys,

To simply put it, I want to sound like Lamb of God but I can't get their heavy sound out of drop d tuning. Cheers!

They're not really that heavy. Keep in mind the the "guitar" sound is a combination of guitar, bass, and kick so you won't get those low chugging sounds if you play by yourself. Knowing what scales they use won't help you sound like them. They probably use variations of the minor scale with some extra accidental but so does every band.

The only way to learn is to listen to their music and learn it (ideally by ear) and notice particular trends and patterns in the riffs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
From what I see after listening to Descending, the first step to being like Lamb of God is to:

a): wait a few decades, then connect the brains of your bassist and drummer with a cable.
b): replace your drummer's leg muscles with pistons, powered by a minigun's firing mechanism.

But all jokes aside, it seems like Lamb of God has a base and an upper melody played on a single guitar: a heavy emphasis on the open D string (the downtuned E string), followed by an intricate pattern of notes that are dissonant from the scale. 
This can vary in sound: for example, in Laid to Rest, there is a flowing melody that is created, separate from the lower (D-D-D) note triplet, while in Pathetic, the aforementioned D note is the centre, with a fill between every (DUN-du-du-DUN-du-du). 
Dissonance can also vary: in Laid to Rest, the melody is very clearly in Dmin, with a clear set of modes followed. Or take Descending, in which the notes are pretty basic for the average Dmin scale (Bflat-D-D-D-D-A-Bflat-D-D-D-D-Bflat-A-D-d-D-d-D-A-D-d-D-d-D from what I hear [D represents the lower D and d represents the 3rd string]). But then, look at Pathetic, in which the fill is a bit nifty, or Now You've Got Something To Die For, in which the main melody is, err, well...

For the record, I have no idea if you understand me or not, so please forgive me if it appears that I vomited a bunch of ASCII characters and thoughts onto my computer screen. I have nothing to do but hope at this point.
Last edited by ToonoobtoGibson at Sep 26, 2017,
Quote by LockieBJJ
Hey guys,

But really, to put it more simply, you can use a lot of the lower D note and fill a lot of empty space with it.
LoG tend to use harmonic minor, and phyrgian dominant scales. Also, emphasize the flat 2nd, flat 5th, minor 3rd, octave, and major 7th (i.e. 1st fret, 6th fret, 3rd fret, 12th fret, 11th fret). AND LOTS OF OPEN STRING CHUGGING RIFFS
Harmonic Minor/Phrygian Dominant. Basically just regular minor with a #7, it becomes Phrygian Dominant (and quite exotically evil) if you start on the 5th of the scale.