I've been playing random scales and doesn't seem like they're helping with anything.. still considered a novice or between novice and intermediate I guess
Thorough knowledge of scales and chords in all keys makes it possible to play whatever you want without having to think about it. If you know the stuff and have some practice with it, you can just do it. You see chords on a chart and you know what they are without having to work it out, and you know what your basic choices are in playing melodies over them.

Learning scales and chords and stuff, if you're a musician, is like learning the alphabet and grammar if you're a writer. It's a bit laborious for a while but the result is a functional and intuitive understanding of your instrument.
Last edited by cdgraves at Sep 16, 2017,
I am back to square one after an accident that has partially crippled my right hand. I'm religiously practicing the major pentatonic just to figure out what works and to work on speed. It is frustrating to not be able to do what I used to but it is rewarding to know I can still play after 5 years thinking I couldn't.
Quote by Sil3nt702
I've been playing random scales and doesn't seem like they're helping with anything.. still considered a novice or between novice and intermediate I guess

1) you can learn the key of nearly any song in seconds by simply finding a few notes.

2) it helps to solo and know the fretboard.

3) it helps for composing chord pregressions and melodies
What do you mean by random scales?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.