Page 2 of 4
Fat Lard Okay but let me revise my statement

international trade law, duties, customs, tariffs, as well as a better understanding of financial audits and particularly understanding the motives for what auditors are trying to find when they do inventory counts and book insepctions.

On the duties and tariffs, a better understanding of why particular commodities from particular locations carry with them a greater international charge.  I sort of understand on a surface level - but having a deeper more complex understanding would be very good for me.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by guitarxo
Things I know a lot about:
How to make a kid sit down and be quiet without doing anything

woah ur a magician
Quote by guitarxo
What an adorable name. Pics pls I don't know anything about turtles actually

Good innit

He's a yellow bellied slider, rescued from a shit owner. He likes it warm and he likes to have a place to hide. Needs basking spots for UV light and eats mainly meat/fish. Used to prefer veggies but he's growing up now lol.

We gave him live stuff a couple of times to encourage his hunting as he was showing signs of needing that kind of outlet. He's a massive coward though so I ended up drowning worms which he'd then eat

Not sure what else I can give on the reptile front. He can sleep in the water or on land... they naturally hibernate but it's not recommended in captivity.

Also they're filthy pets. Full water changes every week, full body wash every month!

Last edited by danielh123. at Sep 21, 2017,
Quote by Badluckpalms
Fat Lard Okay but let me revise my statement

international trade law, duties, customs, tariffs, as well as a better understanding of financial audits and particularly understanding the motives for what auditors are trying to find when they do inventory counts and book insepctions.

On the duties and tariffs, a better understanding of why particular commodities from particular locations carry with them a greater international charge.  I sort of understand on a surface level - but having a deeper more complex understanding would be very good for me.  

Well then you are in luck, for I am a totally ripped and sweet auditor! (and will be an official CPA in January  

There are many different types of audits and levels of attestation, and which one you need depends on many things, such as the level of reliance needed (from an independent, objective auditor that exercises due professional care), and the intended users of the subject matter being audited: 

Is this a small company that wants to apply for a big bank loan, and the bank wants to make sure the risk of providing that loan is acceptable? Is this a huge publicly traded company where many investors rely on their financial statements? (and if it turns out they were lied to and the company ends up bankrupt, on top of that get many lawsuits from the investors?) Is this a service a company wants to see if their information systems and procedures, operations, whatnot are running as intended? Are they lying when they say "100% gluten free"? etc

So 'book inspection' you'd have to be more specific, but let's use your example of inventory count and assume this is an audit a big company needs to file with a regulatory body, since many people rely on their financial statements. There are many, many factors involved in running a business and following applicable laws, procedures, compliance, budgeting, valuation, etc, so just focus on an inventory portion, and this is an asset line-item that is sold relatively fast in the operating cycle, there's no depreciation of its intrinsic value, the market for this item is stable and not fluctuating, etc etc (a lot more goes into this):

An auditor in this instance is going to want to see two major things related to this company's inventory. 1. Do they have proper controls in place regarding this inventory? and 2. are they not BS'ing that they don't have this amount they're claiming? Other things are factored in by the auditor to bring many different types of risks to an acceptable enough level for them to assert an opinion whether or not the company is faithfully reporting and legit has it, with any emphasis and other levels of that.

For 1, it depends on the size and resources/ability/need(entity&regulation) of the company. Are these assets safeguarded, and how? Is there a segregation of duties (meaning that the people that are saying this amount is here aren't able to change that amount by having access to the assets, authorization levels, etc)?

Here's a pretty basic example of a flowchart level, and the auditor would want to know who does what, how they do what, are there any deficiencies based on what policy&procedures is, etc:

Ok, so Number 2!! Let's say this company is pretty legit and has good internal controls. We showed up at them on a random day to see their warehouse (before they could be like: Quick! The auditors are coming! Buy a bunch of inventory or move a bunch in here so it looks like we have it!!!), 
they account for their products with RFID chips and based on some IT controls testing of a large enough sample to inference on the population it was determined that things are being processed for the right amounts, and right descriptions/quantity amount basede on lbs/etc,
and now we we're doing a check of it.

An auditor looks for several different attributes regarding a certain item. Existence, Completeness, Valuation, Rights might be some of the more important ones regarding inventory at this level. Do they actually own this inventory, or did they just rent this space out and filled it with things? We're going to want to see purchase orders and requisitions and other control things. Is it valued correctly and under the appropriate framework? (this one question is huge in scope, but let's say that these items need to be reported at the lower of the cost they paid, or the fair market value it's currently selling for. though this depends and varies vastly depending on a lot of things). Are any of these items being considered for obsolescence?  This broccoli might sell for $x a pound fresh, but is it over a year old? Does this inventory even exist though ? ~ Is it complete based on their records Let's say that we know from Accounts Payable and vendor shipping logs that there's supposed to be a large amount of widgets here. Are all of those widgets actually there? (controls testing as well)

~~~

International trade isn't my specialty, but let me dust off some things and give you a general overview on some things.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Sep 21, 2017,
Badluckpalms So a tl;dr from my general understanding; besides the economic concept of comparative advantage, this is all politics, and not wanting to get taken advantage by an elite group(s).

Protectionism is a result to protect domestic producers at a cost-benefit of getting goods cheaper:losing GDP due to people being out of the workforce/etc. Tarriffs are taxes on imported goods. Import quotas fix limit amounts for certain things. There are things called antidumping rules, which is where foreign producers "dump" excess goods on a domestic market at cheaper than that market can make, basically pulling an Amazon/Walmart. Trigger prices happen when tarrifs are charged when any imported items are below a certain cost.

The economic effects of these are drastic and beyond my knowledge, but many things from others' perspectives need to be taken in to consideration as well. Is it all about profits? etc

Certain industries for an example plutonium magicking or whatever you're not going to want to outsource, right? So maybe there's some sort of patents and nondisclosures for a country to keep its specialization and safety. If you're Ireland or Switzerland, are you going to want others to know how to avoid taxes and whatnot? etc etc

MAGA bruh
Last edited by Fat Lard at Sep 21, 2017,
Adding an intermediate stage, things I know my way around but wouldn't call myself an expert at/aficionado of.

Music theory
Music history
General music knowledge
Linguistics/Etymology
French
Pop science
Art
Cooking
Dad jokes
Composition/songwriting
Christianity
Animation
(I used to do Flash animation for fun as a teenager)

Literature
Religion not including Christianity
Acoustics
German
Italian
World history
Philosophy
(I haven't read much in a while)
The current geopolitical atmosphere

Television
Personal style/dress
How to write lyrics more easily/how to be inspired for said lyrics
How to paint
Russian
Economics
Sports
How to please a woman
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Oct 15, 2017,
Medicine
Poetry
Chess

Hobbies I'm pretty okay at:
Photography
Cars

Shit I want to be good at
Painting
Cooking

Everything I find myself doing well at is so structured and analytical. I have such crazy, crazy envy for painters and those who can draw without reference. It's such a flowing, emotional process and I can't wrap my head around it.
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 21, 2017,
Quote by guitarxo

Hinduism
Here's something I never quite got; why are there different sects of Hinduism that worship a different god, in other words Shaivism vs. Vaishnavism vs. Shaktism?

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
woah ur a magician

Ez just give them The Look© 
cat
Treat all kids regardless of age as adults, get them to listen at an existential level
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Here's something I never quite got; why are there different sects of Hinduism that worship a different god, in other words Shaivism vs. Vaishnavism vs. Shaktism?

They aren't really different gods; they're different manifestations of one god/creator/supreme being/whatever you wanna call it. I'm not sure where these denominations actually came from though. For practical purposes, if you are trying to calm your mind (eg through meditation or prayer) then having an image of something to focus on helps, and people use different images based on their personal goals and upbringings. Somewhere along the line it became associated with family traditions that were passed down for generations.

In practice, many Hindus truly believe that there are multiple gods. The denominations, however, are not exclusionary nor do they forbid the worship of other manifestations of god or even gods from other religions. For instance, my family are Vaishnavites but worship many deities associated with Shiva and my mom is all about Jesus. 

Each of the sects you mentioned is associated with certain characteristics by scholars (eg: Saivites follow yogic teachings) - however, none of these are requirements of belonging to a particular sect and I think reading about Hinduism instead of talking to those who practice it is quite misleading if you are interested in what people are actually doing nowadays. If you're into philosophy, though, the info on Wikipedia is a pretty accurate overview except on more controversial topics.
cat
i know a little bit about a lot of things, but none of it is at all applicable or practical in any useful way.

so, i know nothing.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Things I know a lot about

Things I don't know about but would like to know more
Cooking food
Drawing stuff
Producing music
Everything I need to pass my exams
How to tie my shoes
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Fat Lard

I absolutely adore flowcharts but that was terrible. It's not that it is a bad flowchart. I just don't like it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Fat Lard
*didn't mean to compare Hinduism to Buddhism. But it's a good pic IMO
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
i could actually use some art tips:

recently bought another, better, sketch book that has thick enough pages so marker doesn't bleed through.

looking for recommendations for good pencils/erasers for sketching before i go back over with marker.

and marker reccs. i bought a pack of watercolor ones recently, but i wanna try out some others.

I haven't done any of this in about 7 years

enlighten me, artsy fartsy people
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by theogonia777
I absolutely adore flowcharts but that was terrible. It's not that it is a bad flowchart. I just don't like it.

I'll make sure to meditate on that today after tomorro. Sorry?

Explain why you don't like it exactly.
he will see all of us when our times come
sheesh that came outta nowhere
Quote by Baby Joel
sheesh that came outta nowhere

"Do I look pretty Jesus? Notice the face."
Quote by Fat Lard
I'll make sure to meditate on that today after tomorro. Sorry?

Explain why you don't like it exactly.

I like flowcharts where it asks a question and if you answer one way you go one way and if you answer the other way you go the other way and you can end up in different resolutions at the end.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I like flowcharts where it asks a question and if you answer one way you go one way and if you answer the other way you go the other way and you can end up in different resolutions at the end.

Oh! cute.

What you think of this? 

Any qualms you see?

Quote by guitarxo
They aren't really different gods; they're different manifestations of one god/creator/supreme being/whatever you wanna call it. I'm not sure where these denominations actually came from though. For practical purposes, if you are trying to calm your mind (eg through meditation or prayer) then having an image of something to focus on helps, and people use different images based on their personal goals and upbringings. Somewhere along the line it became associated with family traditions that were passed down for generations.

In practice, many Hindus truly believe that there are multiple gods. The denominations, however, are not exclusionary nor do they forbid the worship of other manifestations of god or even gods from other religions. For instance, my family are Vaishnavites but worship many deities associated with Shiva and my mom is all about Jesus. 

Each of the sects you mentioned is associated with certain characteristics by scholars (eg: Saivites follow yogic teachings) - however, none of these are requirements of belonging to a particular sect and I think reading about Hinduism instead of talking to those who practice it is quite misleading if you are interested in what people are actually doing nowadays. If you're into philosophy, though, the info on Wikipedia is a pretty accurate overview except on more controversial topics.
That does clear things up a bit, thanks. I had understood it as Hindus believing and worshiping many gods, being different manifestations of the Absolute (Brahman?), but having one take precedent over the others in terms of personal preference or importance. Kind of like a hierarchy.

Know a lot about:
-Learning music by ear
-Astronomy
-Some physics

Would like to know more about:
-Neuroscience
-More physics
-Mixing and recording
-I don’t know anything about Music Theory / Chords / Scales / Modes etc., but technically I don’t care if I learn that or not. Maybe in the future I’ll feel differently though.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
>seriously shitting on a good thread because you disagree with op's general opinions

killer

I know about
-guitar bullshit
-a very basic level of soldering
-the binding of isaac

all of this is googleable and those are much better sources than me but I have a pretty good amount of experience with these

I'm aware they're largely worthless

I would like to know about:
skateboarding

I'm 23 and I'm pretty fat could I one day skateboard reasonably well? how the fuck do you even ollie? am I unable to Ollie because I am fat? how do I practice without neighborhood kids seeing me wobble around my driveway?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
If you wanna know more about how cryptocurrencies work (not how to use them etc.) then watch this.

things I'd like to know: 

How to be comfortable/confident in unfamiliar social situations.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Sep 22, 2017,
Primus2112

Yes you'll be able to Ollie despite being fat, but you would need to invest in a good board. Cheap ones break immediately and a fat person will obviously break one easier than most.

You could practice anywhere really. Way more important than tricks is learning to push and ride around comfortably. This will be learned quickly (hours/days) but mastered over months and years. I'd recommend an empty, out of the way car park or school if shyness is a problem

Ollies (and all tricks) are best broken down into the mechanics for a clear understanding before attempting. I find that really helpful!

Almost every conventional trick starts with a "pop", this is to slam the back end down to the floor so the front lifts. This gives you a kind of position of leverage from which you can jump into your trick.

You'll see a lot about the order in which you should learn tricks (e.g. Ollie then shove it then kickflip) but ignore that shit. Work on five tricks at a time, practice them like you'd work on scales. Do slow run throughs, learn the "maths" of it, watch others do them, then increase the speed and commitment over time. Then when you land one, don't let yourself leave a session again until you've landed another

Do it mate, best decision I've made for myself in forever. So good for fitness too!
I know about:
-Court processes and procedures
-Criminal and Civil laws

I'd like to know about:
-Computer programming......I'm doing a degree that sort of touches on this but its by no means comprehensive, but I'd love to learn more about how code is written etc etc
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass