Hi all

I have recently decided to finally buy my first electric guitar. The only problem I have is with the amp. First I was thinking to buy a VOX AC4TV but apparently it is too loud - flatshare issues you see. Then I read about Bugera V5 but apparently headphones' output quality is low.

BUDGET: Max 300

NEW (without excluding the possibility of buying a used one if something good comes up)

DETAILS: I have been looking for an amp that could allow me to practice with my pedals at night with headphones - without any sound quality losses (to the extent that this is possible). Tubes are a priority - unless there is no feasible option. What would you suggest me to do? I have been reading also about headphone amps with cabinet simulators but I really do not have any clue about that.

Thank you in advance

Regards,
aigovoskos
Don't know their price in the U.K., but a Quilter Micro 45 or 101 would work. They're solid state, but work just dandy with pedals. They're both heads, so if you want to use them without headphones, you'd need a speaker cabinet.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Checkout the Laney IRT-Studio. It has all of the features you want. I routinely use my entire board and the loop with headphones.

The only downside is the built in speaker emulation is a little lacking. I prefer to run the USB into my laptop and use a v30 speaker impulse.

The IRT is one of the few amps you can turn off the simulated speaker emulation.

In the USA they go for about $400 used. I'd guess they go for less in the U.K.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
What genre(s)?

I don't know much about tubes and headphones, except that it can be done with some tube amps. However, I wonder if the compromises needed to achieve that make it less attractive than SS. Maybe someone can comment on that.

I have two tube amps, and also a Vox Amplug in case I ever need to use headphones.
Tony Done

Mainly for psych, surf, indie
I like the lo-fi feeling. I just wanna be sure that what I hear through the headphones is what I would hear through the cabinet.

Thuth is that I can solve the volume issue during late at night with a Vox Amplug. That was a great suggestion. Issue remains however. Could you recommend a tube or worst case scenario SS amp for bedroom practice?
Quote by aigovoskos
Thank you dannyalcatraz but this is not what I am looking for.

In what way?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

AH!

Sorry, then. I can't speak to the quality and versatility of inexpensive combos with headphone jacks.

Good luck with your amp hunt!

in that budget really the irt studio. but honestly...a modeler would be the better option. stock headphone outputs do not sound good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I only ever play at low volume these days, and mostly clean plus pedals. It works fine with my two amps, one about 5w, the other 20w. A message that is repeated often in this forum is that you don't need a small amp to play at low volume, some big ones work fine. My two are an H&K Stm Dual El84 and a highly modded V1 Epi VJ, but these might not be suitable for your genres.
you don't want an amp. you don't need one from what you are saying.

get a modeler like a POD or an interface with VSTs to run into a computer. you can then go through headphones or speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A friend of mine suggested to buy a Fender Frontman 10watt, just keep the volume down and play with the pedals. Cost wise it's great. What do you think about the volume?
For the purposes of using using headphones, a tube amp will not be completely utilized in that format.

My suggestion would be to find a Blackstar ID30TVP. It utilizes its patented True Valve Power to simulate multiple tube amps and it does it rather well but performs great at low levels, something tubes struggle with when pushing overdrive on them at that level.

I'll probably get torn apart for this post but with a lot of time put into both tubes (which are stellar, do not get me wrong) and Blackstar's TVP, I find the Blackstar holds its own at bedroom and headphone performance. Keep in mind, Blackstar's new Core line does NOT have TVP.
Quote by aigovoskos
A friend of mine suggested to buy a Fender Frontman 10watt, just keep the volume down and play with the pedals. Cost wise it's great. What do you think about the volume?

Don't do it, it's a terrible amp
Quote by aigovoskos

find better friends
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ok a little clarification first:  

A tube amp with headphone output rarely sounds good on cheap amps.  If you could spend $700-$1000 you can get a nice amp with "cab-voiced" headphone output but... it gets fed by the preamp only so no output tubes are in your signal.  Sorta self-defeating right away.  If you want GREAT headphone level tone, get a Digital Multi Effects because it will sound GREAT with headphones.  This is very different than the weak and cheesy headphone output most low cost amps provide. You could probably find a good used Vox Tonelab or POD bean for 50 Quid and you are golden.

If you need an amp to do pub gigs or jam with friends, find a good used one.  For Surf, a Blues Jr, Super Champ XD, Laney Cub, Peavy Classic 30 are all good and cheap.  This would be a great pro quality gig rig if you live near Camden:
https://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/d/mesa-boogie-subway-rocket/6272094574.html

>>No Frontman, No Marshall MG, No Spider.  They uniformly suck your guitar tone and send it to the loo.

Let's review:  DMFX when you want to sound good with headphones, tube amp when you want to sound good loud.  Different tools for performing different tasks.  Any questions?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 24, 2017,
Cajundaddy That was really helpful. Mesa Boogies looks great but unfortunately I cannot take it home as there will be an issue with noise. That's my main problem you see. I live in a flatshare for the moment.

If I asked you to suggest me an amp which I could have some nice low volume clean tone in order to add dirt etc from pedals, which one would you suggest? It doesn't matter if it has a headphone output.

Thank you!
 "For Surf, a Blues Jr, Super Champ XD, Laney Cub, Peavy Classic 30 are all good and cheap. "

These will all work ok at whisper volumes but no amp will sound as good quiet as a good set of headphones and a DMFX because of the way our ears work.  If you are looking for GREAT guitar tone at whisper volumes from an amp designed to sound best when loud you will forever be disappointed.  It's a rainbow unicorn.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY