Page 1 of 2
I understand not wanting to pay for a neck pickup or tone pot you don't use, but I've seen guitarists remove pickups and replace pick guards to get a one-pickup-one-knob instrument.  Are there real benefits I'm not aware of?  

I'm currently a big fan of the tonal variety available from 2-3 pickup guitars with the G&L passive treble and bass cut knobs.
when you need something special for your 20th guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
when you need something special for your 20th guitar.

23rd last count

Seriously though its preference.

same as me saying "why the fuck do you need eight strings on a guitar, you have a bassist, don't you?"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have two single bucker Showmasters. i love them. I will admit that I would prefer a HH in most occasions. but those guitars are badass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I am pretty sure you can blame this guy for making the arrangement extremely popular:

He probably wasn't the first, but he was certainly the most well-known.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
sometimes a simple guitar like this can teach you how to get your tonal varieties by altering how and where you pluck the strings. you'd be surprised how much you can change the tone this way. I guess some people just find the simplicity more enjoyable to work with too. I do, sometimes, especially for live work.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it was fashionable in the 80's and given that many guitar players today grew up in the 80's their nostalgia causes them to want to emulate that style.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2017,
More room for graphics.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A lot of it is a look. Sometimes people in certain genres don't use a neck pickup either so a single bridge humbucker usually suffices and prevents them from accidentally switching pickups in really spirited moments. You'll notice a lot of guitar players in certain metal and punk genres either remove the neck pickup or tape the selector switch and this is basically the same idea but with less hassle.

That and you can't play hair metal without a single pickup Charvel!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.

single pickup that means its pick up is only one.

single knob guitars has some knob which is very important.
if you only use the one pickup, it stops you from accidentally selecting the wrong pickup. and people claim they sound better because of less magnet pull on the strings.

i'm not sure you can totally blame hair metal. i mean things like juniors and esquires have been super-popular for longer than hair metal has.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly a lot of it comes down to many metal players not using the other pickup, and definitely not using the tone knobs, so when it comes down to it, why even bother including those parts? This is especially true when ordering something custom or semi-custom, because you can request it to be set up for exactly what you need, and if these guys aren't touching those other things anyway, then there's no point in keeping it.

Note: All of my guitars are HH configuration.
less is more. Having only one knob is oddly satisfying
And what work in stone could compare with the majesty of trees?
Quote by Tony Done
Blompcube

I can see very definite advantages in limiting your choices. I gave up digital multiFX and most pedals for that reason, and I'm now thinking of (re)modding a guitar to neck pickup only.

Why bother?  You can just go out and drop US$22,000.00 on a Gibson Citation!

Problem solved!
It eliminates the second pickup's magnetic effect on string vibration and any electronics that the player may believe colors or limits the tone of the pickup.

In my single pickup, single knob guitars, I sometimes use a pot that incorporates a pull switch to activate a set tone circuit or coil tap.

I do love showmasters.
Last edited by HowlerMonkey at Sep 25, 2017,
If you only play one style or genre of music and you have nailed the sound you want and never want to change it, why not. If you have several guitars and you want to mod one for a certain tone, that works also. Personally I want as much variety of tone as possible. On the other hand, I could eliminate my tone knobs altogether as I usually have them set all the way open and on a Les Paul (3 pick up) Black Beauty, I did just that and wired the guitar so each pickup has it's own volume pot and made the one for the middle pickup a push pull so I can turn it on and off in any configuration. I cut the wires to the one tone knob completely. That way I can have any combination of the three pups and balance them between them for tone. I might go back and make the tone pot just a master tone pot. Not a big deal. 

I want more choices not less but whatever floats your boat. That's why they make chocolate, vanilla and 100 other flavors of ice cream.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 25, 2017,
Definately most popular in the 80's every maker that catered to the metal scene B.C. Rich, Kramer, Charvel/Jackson, Ibanez etc. had at least one model with a single pup and volume control it was IMO, for the most part, to make a statement and that was that the person playing it was there for one thing and that was to shred.  

Also as some have mentioned some shredders that never use a middle or neck pup or tone knob maybe just on certain songs like the simplicity of that set up. I believe it is more for that reason than to save money.

I have one it is an 87 Kramer with a OFR and a sinlge Duncan JB.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 25, 2017,
I think no knobs would look better than a single knob and in most cases I only ever have the volume knob at 10 or zero.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
There is a very slight difference in tone when you eliminate extra pickups because less magnetic pull means the string is dampened less.  The difference is so slight it is almost unnoticeable, even when you listen for it.  Eliminating the tone knob has even less of an effect on tone and no effect on sustain.  If you eliminated the volume pot  you would have a more noticeable difference in tone.  You would be slightly brighter.  If you are rewiring your guitar anyway taking out the extra stuff you don't use could be a good idea but because the tonal difference is so slight It's not really worth doing if you are not already doing some work.

The real draw to single pickup guitars is simplicity and cost.  Less stuff in the guitar means less stuff can go wrong or break and there are fewer parts to buy.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by FatalGear41
He probably wasn't the first

Well, yeah. The first came... the year he built his guitar minus the year the first volume knob was put into an electric guitar sometime pre-war... year before him. That's like... 40, 50, 60 years?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Well, yeah.  The first came... the year he built his guitar minus the year the first volume knob was put into an electric guitar sometime pre-war... year before him.  That's like... 40, 50, 60 years?

Hey, even Charlie Christian used more than one knob on his Gibson ES-150, though!

And that was in 1936!
Quote by FatalGear41
Hey, even Charlie Christian used more than one knob on his Gibson ES-150, though!

And that was in 1936!

And what do you think cam before the two knob guitar? The one knob guitar, of course. And before that, the knobless guitar.
Before that, you'd probably have to go back to Rickenbacker's 1931 "Frying Pan" guitar, which indeed had only one knob:

But I hesitate to count that one, as it was designed to be a lap steel guitar.
Quote by theogonia777
I think no knobs would look better than a single knob and in most cases I only ever have the volume knob at 10 or zero.

Marty Friedman agrees
And what work in stone could compare with the majesty of trees?
Quote by Tony Done
Blompcube 

I can see very definite advantages in limiting your choices. I gave up digital multiFX and most pedals for that reason, and I'm now thinking of (re)modding a guitar to neck pickup only.

I have an old (1949?) ES-175 that arrived with a single P90 in the neck position. It was a few years before they put a pair of pickups on the ES-175.

Side Note: This particular guitar was fished out of a bin of guitars that were destined for the trash. It had been completely stripped of hardware and sanded to bare wood. Where the output jack would have been was a 1" x 3" hole. The guitar was repaired and refinished in 1977 with an ambered clear lacquer with a dark burst on the edges (and dark sides). The hole repair is nearly invisible. The frets (which were worn) were left alone, as was the brazilian rosewood fretboard, but the pickup replacement was a DiMarzio and a coil split was added (in 1977!), so there's a miniswitch between the volume and tone pots. That's 40 years ago, and the guitar's about due for a refret. While I've considered replacing the original P90 (I have it), the old DiMarzio sounds just great, so the P90 will stay in the case (it's the original and seriously in need of some work) for the next owner to deal with.
Quote by theogonia777
And what do you think cam before the two knob guitar? The one knob guitar, of course. And before that, the knobless guitar.

Let's be honest with ourselves: most guitars have at least one knob.*

* counting the one holding it, of course...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Let's be honest with ourselves: most guitars have at least one knob.*

* counting the one holding it, of course...

The first electric guitars were acoustics with pickups and George Beauchamp's all wood Frying Pan prototype had no knob either. Therefore the knobless electric guitar preceeded the one knob.

Actually though, it is still common on pedal steels not to have knobs. The only control my D12 has is a pickup selector but while the circuitry is no different than any other multi-pickup instrument the use is fundamentally different since rather than selecting between two pickups on one instrument it is essentially an A/B switch between two different instruments.
theogonia777

(Yes, I know you're not a guy...but Foghorn.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I did this when I re-did my oldest guitar.  It is a strat copy, and I wanted to go simple. No other reason. Installed a vintage style gold foil pickup from Guitar Fetish and one volume knob. 
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I had a superstrat once that didnt have a single knob and it had a Dimarzio PAF wired straight to the output jack
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I had my gibson sg with a pair of EMG's wired into a three way switch. neck-off-bridge. that was a couple of years ago though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If i could i would remove tone knob since i always have it at 100 percent. Only volume knob would remain. As for pickups i would like to have H S S. Some guitarist are straight metal players, lots of them use just Bridge pickup and volume knob.
I have an RG7321 that was modded to only have a bridge pickup and one (volume-)knob. 
I could do with that on any of my guitars purely for metal, to be fair. 

Only a neck pickup on a hollowbody would work for me too, probably. 
Quote by FatalGear41
I am pretty sure you can blame this guy for making the arrangement extremely popular:

He probably wasn't the first, but he was certainly the most well-known.

I'm sure I have seen him before, I don't know where or why but he looks very familiar.
Legend.
I'm actually thinking of getting single PU 27" guitar that would do some heavy chugs in Drop tunings for me. There literally no reason to have bridge PU for that purpose, as a I'm mainly a metal-player. Though, on my main guitar i'm actually like to have either neck H or 2 singles. I found neck-middle position works best for me when i go some cleans. Tone is still negligible. 
Page 1 of 2