I've been looking for a good valve amp for bedroom use that sounds great at lower volumes
I tried out the mini rectifier with a blackstar 1x10 cab and it sounded really solid with my Fender blacktop telecaster. ( Asking price is 1400$)
Playing mostly metal and playing around with some clean and blues sounds, wanted to hear a few more opinions and maybe options before buying, thanks a lot in advance.
Last edited by Dude47 at Nov 12, 2017,
Well, if you liked it!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
maybe bump up to a 1x12? 

if you like the head then you're solid there, hard to tell someone to change when they like an awesome piece of gear.  
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
I am willing to hear other suggestions that might suit my needs
Have tried the mini 6505 and it was nice but didn't sounds as good as the recto on low volumes
its hard to get "good" sounds at low levels from valve amps, mainly because good is subjective.  People argue all the time that they get great tones at low volumes.  But my experience and opinion is tube amps sound better at volume.

I've grown to love my Helix.  I needed something that sounded like a beast but at extremely low volumes.  I tried different things, but in the end amp modeling is what worked for me.  thru a couple 8" FR monitors it rocks, plus its so much quieter than say my combo at 4.5 watts.  There are other options that are cheaper, I played with Bias FX for over a year before buying the Helix.  I had a lot of fun with Bias.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
I agree that tube amps sound best when cranked, but some of my amps have sounded good on lower volumes, just not at their best.

NOTHING sounds "like a beast" at low volumes IMO.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
OP, check out ENGL Iron Ball, Victory compact series, Orange Terror series, H&k Tubemeister, Mesa Mark V 25 and 35...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Perverockstar69
OP, check out ENGL Iron Ball, Victory compact series, Orange Terror series, H&k Tubemeister, Mesa Mark V 25 and 35...
Some of those amps are much more expensive than the deal I found

I am aware that tube amps are designed to be cranked up and will always sound at their best when they are.
But as it is not an option for me most of the time Im trying to find that sweet tube sound with a volume my neighbors can live with, so the 10 watt option is appealing to me and did sound quite good
Most should be cheaper. You just asked for other mini head recommendations anyway never said a budget.

And I get you, I bought my Rocker 15 exactly for the same reasons, cuz I want a nice tube amp for playing at home. My THR10 is a nice amp, but it's far from giving me the dynamics and articulation of a tube amp.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 12, 2017,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Most should be cheaper. You just asked for other mini head recommendations anyway never said a budget.

And I get you, I bought my Rocker 15 exactly for the same reasons, cuz I want a nice tube amp for playing at home. My THR10 is a nice amp, but it's far from giving me the dynamics and articulation of a tube amp.
basically the 1400$are already stretching my budget
And I'm in the exact same situation, I do like my thr10x and even plan on keeping it but it's not enough anymore
Well, check them out, most of them should be way under 1k...

Enjoy

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 12, 2017,
Dude47 Awesome amp, go for it! I bought a Jet City 1x12 to run it thru though, I just feel the 1x10 shaves some bass, up to you, it might work well.
Great bedroom amp IMO. Really good stage amp for small to mid size club gigs. I just don't play everything we do with it as when we get to open for higher profile band the look is important so we lug 4x12s and the big amps.

Where are you located and what is your budget for cab?

Here's me playing Mesa Mini with Jet City JCA12s cab:
https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/video/15201626
Never heard of that, would like something with 1x12 tops, my neighbors are not too fond of my playing since I live in an apartment building
Have you tried an overdrive pedal with the THR?

I like mine with an OD808..
Last edited by glennmitchell907 at Nov 12, 2017,
I compared the Mesa Rectifier mini to the Mark V 25 and thought the Mark V 25 was much better. I like the Rectifier but would definitely try the mark if possible. As to the cab, the Blackstar 1x10 is not worth a lot so you are predominantly paying for the amp. 
I own a Mark V 25.

I tried the Rectoverb as well  before buying, (same as Mini Rectifier but with reverb built in), and it's definitely a great amp for metal.
Mark V 25 and Mini Rec are both excellent for metal, slightly different high gain sound but lots of metal bands use either.

I like the built in tone load / DI of the Mark V 25. Really great to play while going into a computer or mixer then using headphones.
Aside for that it's definitely loud enough for small gigs, and even larger stages where you can mic your amp.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Mini Rec, rock on!
Electric: Gibson SG Goddess, Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, PRS Custom 24, Fender Am Telecaster Deluxe Ash, a custom Strat that I'm still building including a Warmoth body, Seymour Duncan pickups etc.

Pedals: Boss TU-2, TR-2, DS-1, GE-7, ME-80. TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Flashback. Fulltone OCD. JHS Mini Foot Fuzz, Cub delay. EHX Soul Food, Black Finger tube compressor. Xotic EP Booster. Mooer Pure Boost, Reecho. Dunlop 535Q Wah, Volume pedal. Tech 21 RK5. Pedaltrain Pro, Classic.

Amps: Fender Greta. Mesa Boogie Mark V 25w & mini rec cab. Blackstar HT-5R. Had but sold an H&K Switchblade 100 * Framus 2x12 cab

Acoustic: Yamaha CPX 900, Yamaha FG700MS
Last edited by xhsefrin at Nov 12, 2017,
glennmitchell907
I use it with a Wampler Sovereign and it does sounds decent, but not as good as any tube amp I've tried
My biggest problem with it is the combination of built in effects and no fx loop which makes it very limiting.

Quote by xhsefrin
I own a Mark V 25.

I tried the Rectoverb as well  before buying, (same as Mini Rectifier but with reverb built in), and it's definitely a great amp for metal.
Mark V 25 and Mini Rec are both excellent for metal, slightly different high gain sound but lots of metal bands use either.

I like the built in tone load / DI of the Mark V 25. Really great to play while going into a computer or mixer then using headphones.
Aside for that it's definitely loud enough for small gigs, and even larger stages where you can mic your amp.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Mini Rec, rock on!

I'm getting the recto second hand for about 1000$ while a new mark costs twice as much and is not available second hand on the market right now
Dude47 yeah the Mark V 25 is about 1,500 new on Sweetwater, the mini rectifier new is only 1,100.

If you are only playing high gain stuff the Mini Rec will definitely be better bang for your buck!
If the used one is 1000$ then it might be worth if for you to get a new one! Anyway up to you whether it's a good deal to you, but as far as the gear goes, the Mini Rectifier sounded great to me!

In its price category and if 25W is enough there's nothing I would have taken over the mini rec for metal, let's put it this way.
Electric: Gibson SG Goddess, Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, PRS Custom 24, Fender Am Telecaster Deluxe Ash, a custom Strat that I'm still building including a Warmoth body, Seymour Duncan pickups etc.

Pedals: Boss TU-2, TR-2, DS-1, GE-7, ME-80. TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Flashback. Fulltone OCD. JHS Mini Foot Fuzz, Cub delay. EHX Soul Food, Black Finger tube compressor. Xotic EP Booster. Mooer Pure Boost, Reecho. Dunlop 535Q Wah, Volume pedal. Tech 21 RK5. Pedaltrain Pro, Classic.

Amps: Fender Greta. Mesa Boogie Mark V 25w & mini rec cab. Blackstar HT-5R. Had but sold an H&K Switchblade 100 * Framus 2x12 cab

Acoustic: Yamaha CPX 900, Yamaha FG700MS
Thanks a lot, as far as the cab goes the internet reviews don't seem too fond of the blackstar cabs.
Any more recommendations?
Orange, Avatar, Mauler, Atlas, Emperor...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
You can probably find a used Rectoverb 1x12 for peanuts.  It's an OK amp.  I've owned it.  I'm not really a fan of the recto sound. Rectos are good, bu they have a  very specific sound and it's not  versatile so you either like or or you hate it.  I'm unfortunately in the hate it camp and would probably choose a mini 6550 or 5150 over the mini-rec.  I think the recto has a GREAT clean tone though believe it or not.

With that said, the mini-heads are great but my regular Mark IV sounds GREAT at low volume so I don't think I'm missing anything playing a full size mark at low volumes.  You could maybe even find a used Mark III cheap and it would still sound good.