Hi, I've been playing for almost 3 years and electric guitar for about 2 years. I have a Fender Frontman 15G amp. Here are the control it has it on it: normal volume, gain, a drive select, drive volume, treble, middle, bass. I get the normal volume, of course, and I basically understand drive and gain (I have to turn the drive select on, then turn gain up for the 'fuzziness' or overdrive-type sound I want and turn gain volume up appropriately, yes?), but how do treble, mid, and bass affect my sound? I also have a cherry red Affinity series strat and it has two tone dials and one switch on it with 5 settings. I can't really tell how these affect the way my guitar sounds, especially the tone dials. I want my guitar to sound a lot fuller, because it sounds so thin and stringy right now. I don't know if that makes sense, but I want a fuller sound. Do I need a pedal or something? I like Robby Krieger's smooth sound, and I like the way Jimi's guitar sounds a lot in Little Wing as well. I know these are two different sounds, but they're examples of a fuller sound.

I know I could research this, but I'm a busy high schooler and most of the sites I've read haven't played it out in plain English for me. I'd really appreciate any help as I've been trying to figure out this stuff for a couple years now.

Edit: I meant to post this in the electric guitar forum but now can't figure out how to change it or delete it. 
Last edited by ifmgamecock at Dec 7, 2017,
ifmgamecock You could view bass as the thump or body of the guitar sound. Midrange is the "meat". Treble is the air and clarity. Too much bass and you get mud. Too much midrange and you get mud/quackyness. Too much treble and you get ice-picks.

For a little more body, I would use a neck or middle pickup position on your guitar. Play with the guitar volume and tone all the way up. Try starting with the EQ controls flat (pointing at 12 o' clock) and go from there.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 7, 2017,
Will Lane Thank you! How do I use a neck or middle pickup position? I think I'm confusing pickups with humbuckers or something because I don't know how I can change my pickup position. 

Edit: nevermind, just figured it out.
Last edited by ifmgamecock at Dec 7, 2017,
Your guitar has three pickups on it (those oval shaped devices under the strings with 6 silver poles in them). Single coil pickups is, as you guessed it one single pickup. A humbucker would be two single pickups housed together. Your affinity most likely has 3 single coils. The pickups generate the sound you hear when you hit a string.

The 5 position switch allows you to choose which pickup(s) are active. Starting with the tip of the switch pointed towards the headstock of the guitar, these positions are:
1. Neck pickup only
2. Neck and middle pickup
3. Middle pickup only
4. Middle and bridge pickup
5. Bridge pickup only

Each position will change the tone, play around with all the different positions. The two tone knobs allow you to color the sound even more, typically the middle knob is for the neck pickup and the last one is for the middle pickup (unless someone has altered the factory wiring).

Furthermore, there are countless videos on YouTube that will go into more detail of the anatomy of your guitar, how everything works and how to do a setup.
The bass knob filter out low end.  At 0 it filter out the most bass and dimed it doesn't filter out any.  The mid control filters the midrange frequencies which is most of the sound the guitar produces.  The treble filters your high frequencies.

The tone knobs on the guitar filters high end and a little midrange but only on the pickup that it is wired to.

Part of why your guitar sounds so thin is due to the pickups.  The pickups on low end squires are absolutely terrible.  
Not taking any online orders.
ruready1994 My affinity has 2 pickups and 1 humbucker. I changed the pickups to neck/middle position, which sounds alright. I really can't tell any difference from the two tone knobs, but oh well. Thanks!
CorduroyEW That makes sense, I have had a feeling it's my guitar because all the alterations I make don't erase that tinny sound. Thank you!