Page 1 of 3
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
ok im bored and so i decided to write out a miniture guide to answer the most common tuning questions. this is for all you ppl who dont own a chromatic tuner.

firstly before we start, ive attached a file that will tune your guitar into normal tuning. this will be in the post below

drop d only, the one string (d a d g b e)

play e on the 7th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A. alternatively, you can play open e and open d and then detune the e till it has the same pitch as the d.

drop c only, the one string (c a d g b e)

play e on the 9th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A.

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

tuning down a step (d g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

basically for the tunings down half a step and one step, you change the step of the first tuning and this then affects everything so tuning the normal way tunes everything half a step or a whole step down.

drop c (c g c f a d)

tune everything down a whole step (see above) and then play the seventh fret on your low e string (which now should be d) and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D. this is static-x's favourite tuning

drop B (b f# b e g# c#)

okay this is a long one, and the tuning is B F# B E G# C#. ok. from normal tuning, play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then, to do the bottom e string, you can either play this on the seventh fret, and open a (which is now f#) and tune the e string till it sounds the same, or play open e and the open d string (which now should be b) detune the e string accordingly till it sounds the same. this tuuning is popular with slipknot

ill add more later. maybe this will be a sticky. if i have somthing wrong, or should add something, pm me or write in this post
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Last edited by thebassmaster at Jul 20, 2003,
metallica_12398
Hardcore Bassist
131 IQ
That's really helpfull for my accoustic of course, but can you do the same for my bass (tunning guide) thanks

Bassman Matt

Metallica
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
to do the bass, just do the same but miss out the last two strings. drop d and drop c are exactly the same, but tuning all strings down is slightly different

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string (which now should be g#) and tune the e in accordingly

tuning down a step (d g c f)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string ( which should be g) hen tune in the e accordingly

drop c (c g c f)

tune everything down a whole step up to the g string, then press the seventh fret on your low e string and open a. detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C.

drop b (b f# b e)

play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the 10th fret on e and open a (now f#) then detune the e string

Double checked, edited and approved by Beat, go wild guys! Good job Matt

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
Last edited by beatallica_fan at Oct 5, 2002,
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
drop a (a e a d)

play open bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the open bottom e and the open bottom d (now a), detune the bottom string till its an octave of the open d string.

I think its ok, as long as you can maintain string tension at such low tunings, but matts theory is fine. beat!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Last edited by beatallica_fan at Oct 10, 2002,
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
Originally posted by IM_ELVIS_ON_LSD
And whats drop A?

oh did u mean for guitar? ill do that tonight

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
drop a (a e a d f# b)

ok, play bottom e on the 12th fret and open a, then detune the e string till it sounds the same as the a. then play the seventh fret on the newly tuned e string and open a, then detune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string, ,then open d, then detune the d string, then play the fifth fret on the d string, then open g and detune the g. now, play the FORTH on the g string (should now be tuned into a d) and open b, then detune the b, then play the fifth on the b string, and the high e, then detune the high e.

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Last edited by thebassmaster at Oct 10, 2002,
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5
1,681 IQ
Again seems fine to me, i think the best thing to do is for you guys to try these tuning guides out, if you come across any problems with any of them pm me or thebassmaster and we'll see what we can do. Beat!
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
SOON TO COME

ive got an mp3 which has the standard tuning notes. (e a d g b e) im gonna find a place to upload it on too, then link it here so you can tune ur guitar back

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
Originally posted by metallica_12398
awsome sounds great! for bass too?

ill find one, or u could use the bottom 4 and try and tune using the octaves

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
HERE IS THE TUNER

its a bit cheesy but it does the job

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
turinbrakes
teehee
553 IQ
I uploaded some midi files to my webspace.

Be sure you Right click on the link, and then choose Save as..

E
A
D
G
B
e

It always worked for me when i didn't have a tuner yet
Last edited by turinbrakes at Nov 1, 2002,
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
thanks turin

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
miele
Lowlife
315 IQ
There is a tuner on my "site" too.
www.guitarfiles.tk
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
NoHero
UG Monkey
16 IQ
Okay i doubt any off you can help me with this so i will ask anyway, how do you tune a guitar to open FSharp Minor, this tuning is used in a Days of the New song and its pissing me off that i cant play it.
Yesterdays Accomplishments are Replaces by Tomorrows Burdens.
NoHero
UG Monkey
16 IQ
Okay since on one is helping in my time alone i figured it out so dont worry about it.
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
Staind's is Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Cb-Eb and Creed's is D-A-D-G-A-D. Can you help me?

this is for my new n00b friend

staind

play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then tune the open a to the forth fret on e. then take the 5th fret on the newly strung a string and open d and retune the d, then the 5th fret on d and open g. then retune g. then the forth freth on g and open b, and retune the b string. then take the fifth fret on the b string and the high open e and retune the e string. now play the lower e and the higher e together. retunr the lower e so the two e's are an octave apart.

creed:

right then play the 7th fret on low e and open a, the retune the e string. then play your 2nd fret on g and open b then retune the b string. then play the fifth fret on ur newly tuned b string and ur open high e, then retune

i suggest you wait till beat checks it but i think that how its done

EDIT-I checked the creed tuning and made a slight amendment, but i think its ok now. The Cb note your trying to tune to on the staind tuning has me confused. Theres no actual Cb, half a step below C is B, if thats what you wanted then theres no need to retune, if you meant Bb then the tuning just seems to be half a step down. I dont play or even own music by these bands so people try these tuning out and come back to us if you have trouble. Beat!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Last edited by beatallica_fan at Dec 2, 2002,
froggie0424
froggielicious
153 IQ
What about open D or Db tuning??
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
you mean these?

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
Originally posted by thebassmaster
you mean these?

I dont think he did mean those actually matt, i may be wrong. I tune to open D as DADF#AD, and so open Db is just that but half a step down, Db,Ab,Db,F,Ab,Db.
Slut
Can't Stop The Signal
1,831 IQ
I just tuned my guitar down 2 steps (I think) It's in whatever Drop B is but in standard instead of dropped. What is this exactly?

Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
guitartabbooksw
UG Newbie
10 IQ
You are tuned to C
Even lower than my favorite Black Sabbath tune "Into The Void " which was tuned to C#. Your axe is gonna sound Heavy!

Wish I was there to hear you tear up some wattage! Possibly the sound will be so heavy it will travel through the core of the earth!
Have to admire a metaler with big balls! Crank that puppy!
Practice Your Scales
Slut
Can't Stop The Signal
1,831 IQ
lol, I tuned down lower cause my sis usually blasts rap in the middle of the night so I cant sleep.

She wont like what she wakes up to tomarrow.

Anyways, if I tune down again and dropped it it'd be drop A I think, what is it if I tune it down 1 more step after that?

AS in, if I tuned down 2 more steps then Im at now.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
guitartabbooksw
UG Newbie
10 IQ
I would tend tothink that tuning too much lower may lossen the strings, to the point that they wont stay in tune too well, but I sure would like to be a fly on the wall when your sister gets her well deserved "wake up call"
Practice Your Scales
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
F Bb F Bb D F

play the 4th fret on the low e string and open a, then retune the e string so it sound the same as open a, then play the forth fret on the a string and open d, then retune the a string, the play open d and the low e (which now should be tuned to f), then play the 7th fret of the retuned A string and tune the fourth string to that. The play the fifth fret of the D string and tune the G string to that. then play the forth fret on the newly tuned g string and open b, then retune b so it sounds the same. then there are two ways of retuning the top string, eith play low e and bottom e togeth and higher the tuning of high e till they sound the same or play the 3rd fret of the b string and the high open e and retune till it sounds the same

phew........ you may wanna let beat double check it first

EDIT : Checked and amended to what i think is correct, anyone who wants to query this please pm me, best way too check is for the requestee to try using this guide, Beat!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Last edited by beatallica_fan at Dec 11, 2002,
crinkboy
Banned
10 IQ
all this stuff is great almost as great as sunday morning breakfast
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
http://WWW.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

it may have been moved but i still think that its useful to have a link here so theres no tuning threads. miele or beat, if you dont want this here, delete it

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
dmal
Fluffy Club 7
448 IQ
Originally posted by thebassmaster
http://WWW.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

it may have been moved but i still think that its useful to have a link here so theres no tuning threads. miele or beat, if you dont want this here, delete it

to add to this.....

the thread that matt mentioned is located in the Archives Forum, which contains the most commonly asked questions and the most informative threads.....

please read it.

Fraternal Order of the Warm and Fuzzy
Smooth Blend no. 7

Answers to your questions
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
We'll leave this open so that people can ask question on tunings not covered in the original thread, when/if it gets big enough ill move it over to archives and start another one, but please no spamming and no repetition of tunings previously covered. Beat!
NoHero
UG Monkey
16 IQ
How about everyones old friend OPEN E tuning.
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
tell me the notes of the open strings and ill have a go

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
NoHero
UG Monkey
16 IQ
EABEBE
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
ill do both, though what simon says it probably right

EABEBE

hmmm, not too tricky. play the 2nd fret of a and open d, and detune the d till the two sound exactly the same. then you can do e the octave way, by playing one of the e strings and open g, then detuning g till the notes sound an octave apart, or play the fifth fret on open d (now should be b) and open g and retune g till it sounds the same as the fifth fret on the d string

actually, ive gotta lesson now, so ill do beats later

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
ok EBEG#BE

play the 7th fret on your low e and open a then retune the a so it sounds the same as the 7th fret E. then play the 12th fret on your low e and open d, then retune your d string. then on your open d (which now should be E) play the forth fret, and open g, then retune your g to get #g

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
549 IQ
C F Bb Eb G c

okay, play the 1st fret on the e string and open a, then retune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string and open d, and retune d. then play the fifth fret on the newly tuned d sting and open g and retune the open g . then the forth on the g string, and open b then retune b. then play the fifth fret on b and open e, then retune the e. now play the octave e's and retunne the low e till its an octave apart from the high e...

i recommend waiting for simon to check this first before you try

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
d8nny24
Dan "the riff" King
11 IQ
D A D D A D

I want to play Iris by the Goo Goo dolls. But I have no tuner. How would i tune to above set?
Play football,play guitar,play good!