Page 1 of 2
no offense
Stevie Ray Vaughanabee
127 IQ
I looked and I didnt find this kind of thread started before. Ok so Im gonna get a new guitar. Either a fender standard tele or standard strat. i was wondering if people that have actually play these instruments could compare them. Even if they are a better for completly different styles.(I dont know what styles they are better for.) I play any kind of music. Blues, classic rock, metal,punk, country, and anything else. which guitar would be better over all. and please state why you think its better.
dont judge a guy by the guitar he plays, but how he plays it
thewho4u
UG's sxe posuer
39 IQ
dunno about the rest of you but, I love my tele, its pretty and plays real nice-like.
i never thought id see those two words in the same sentence...squire and american
#25 member of the Weezer fan club

#66 member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" club
socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
Yeah they are both very versatile guitars in my opinion...There are benefits to both, and reasons to consider one better, but it's all in prefrence..
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Zepp_head
UG Senior Member
28 IQ
DO NOT GET A MEXICAN STRAT I HAVE ONE ITS A PICE OF CRAP UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PUT A NEW TREM SOME LOCKING TUNERS AND SOME DUNCAN PICK UPS ON IT DO NOT GET ONE GO FOR THE TELE
*Bands & People Ive Seen*
The Rolling Stones-The Eagles-Van Halen-Neil Young-Sir Paul McCartney-The Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Eddie Vedder-Tony Bennott(odd i know)-Aero Smith-The Who-Blink-182-.

Long Live Foghat
Masknought
UG's Doughnut Mogul
20 IQ
tele, but thats becuase that is my style of music, the standard has the bridge pickup at a 45 degree angle and that gives you a very twangy country-like sound. ive seen some bands like metallica use them but you can definantly tell its a tele. so i would think in a way its a little limiting but nothing that would inhibit you from playing whatever you want. and there is nothing wrong with the standard strat... its fine in my opinion.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
Originally posted by Zepp_head
DO NOT GET A MEXICAN STRAT I HAVE ONE ITS A PICE OF CRAP UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PUT A NEW TREM SOME LOCKING TUNERS AND SOME DUNCAN PICK UPS ON IT DO NOT GET ONE GO FOR THE TELE

What the hell are you talking about? with a good setup, MIM Strats are amazing for the price...
colen
ug's #1 CANADIAN
421 IQ
ALL CAPS MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GOMER!

i persionaly like the telecaster better but its all your choice
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
Evian
Banned
1,678 IQ
Try them out yourself...They're very versitile guitars...They can play almost anything. A jack of all trades. Its your money not ours...
GHJ
A Paw In My Face
86 IQ
Personally I prefer the tele, although I have never actually played a fender strat, but I love my tele.
...Bleep Bloop...
SlipAway
Shiggidy Shwhat?
328 IQ

My MIM Strat is just fine. Not at all a "pice of crap." The pick ups, I agree, aren't amazing, but easily fixed. A new tremelo and locking tuners aren't necessary though. Then again, this is all up for him to decide...
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
fractured
Banned
10 IQ

SHut up, I have a mexican strat and it makes my penis swell with joy every time I pick it up, its all the luck of the draw.

It doesn't matter which you get because they're both versitile guitars, you can put Seymour Duncan Hotrails in either of them, and you can get stacked single coils for both too I think.. so you can get a chunkier heavier sound out of them if you wanted.. but they're both for the same kind of music basically, blues/country/rock (like the 60s-late 70s ish)

It just depends on the neck, neck joint/acess (single or double cutaway) and a tremelo arm..

I really think a strat is more of a lead guitar because of its neck access and tremelo arm with a more profile neck.. whereas a tele is a rythm guitar with a chunkier neck and less acess to the upper frets..

but just try them and find a preference, both of them are great guitars.
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
3,634 IQ

Dear god, attack of the killer caps. I think my eyes are about to fall out....

And strats are cool. It sounds to me like your just trying to think of random things to upgrade the strat with. Locking tuners will not make it sound any better. Noob.

And i have a strat, and its brilliant. I dont much like teles but i would still have one.
Been away, am back
frodoisdead
Love, Ire & Song.
978 IQ
Both are great guitars but i prefer the tele, it gives me the tones i want to better effect than the Strat.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
NiCk HiMsElF
UG's Best Strat Player
11 IQ
I love my fat strat
"i thought Ween was punk rock stupid hippie ****s"
gowdyjames
Let the colony know!
58 IQ
tele
Guitars:
Ibanez JEM77GMC
Fender telecaster
Ibanez RG270
Fender DG22S
Amp:
Line 6 Flextone 2 60W

God Damn i want a Nomad 45!
ath
Factory of Fuzz.
21 IQ
both are quality guitars, ive played both, and they are similar.
i myself prefer teles, simply on looks, i just prefer the shape
i wouldnt actually buy either of these guitars, i dont know why
i also would prefer having a humbucker too.
just thoughts.
colen
ug's #1 CANADIAN
421 IQ
hey im going to mexico pretty soon! would a mexican strat be cheapper there? if any one knows?
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
angusyoungwanab
UG's Personal Diabetic
238 IQ
ive have a MIM tele and a Fernandes strat. i dunno how much of a difference between fenders and fernandes strats, but i find the strat bridge pup to be more trebly than the tele. i love my tele. can get chill-axin music, blues, punk, rock, almost anything. but you gotta them out and see what you like.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
TommyWIg
UG's Under-Achiever
129 IQ
i like both equally. they look really good. i couldnt decide.
Do a barrel roll!
Mad_Gouki
85 IQ
they are similar guitars, the stratocaster was developed to be the predecesssor to the telecaster and it was supposed to have all the improvements that guitarists wanted... i love my stratocaster, you can do anything with it and it is comfortable, and rugged.

the only real difference is that a stratocaster is a double cutaway, so you can reach the higher frets, while a telecaster is only a single, so you cant reach your thumb around the neck at the 16th fret so well...

the stratocaster has 3 single coil puckups while the telecaster i think has a humbucker and a single coil treble pickup.

they are both going to be very similar, just go to a local gutiar shop and see whick one you like the most
thegenerator
UG P90 Elitist
43 IQ
Tele has two single-coils stock.

And it wasnt designed to be the SUCCESSOR to the Telecaster, just to be something different.
My Rig

2004 Fender '72 Custom Telecaster reissue
2006 Cole Clark Fat Lady 1 Acoustic

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
Revan
Str4t phr33k
502 IQ
Originally posted by ath
indeed it is actually
i meant the boday shape, i just prefer it, its not just your generic electric guitar shape

That because the strat is so gorssly popular. Well, I am not the one to realy say, I own a strat and plan on buying a nicer one soon. I don't think I would buy a mexican strat, but thats your choice. Tele's are amazing, and don't get me wrong, I would love to own one. But I love my strat, and would buy another any day. Go with the strat. err, play them both... yeah now I am cool like every1 else
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
grungefan89
American Nervoso
1,107 IQ

God! What are you yelling about?! Please, sit down and shut up.

Anyway, I've played both the Tele and the Strat. Both are great guitars, but, when it came down to making my purchase, I chose the Strat (although it wasn't the one I played in the shop). I loved the look and feel of the Strat. The Tele was a bit less comfortable to play than the Strat (due to the fact there are no comfort contours, obviously) and, also, the Strat seemed to produce better tone than the Tele. I like the Strat so much, I'm probably going to buy another. (I'll admit, the pickups could be a little better, though, but what do you expect for $350?)

Anyway, your choice comes down to prefrence. Both are very versatile guitars and there's a lot to like about them. Go down to your local shop and give both of 'em a try. (Don't be worried about impressing the guy behind the counter. He's probably not so great. ) That's really the only way you can decide what's right for you.
Music is a weapon. Use it wisely.

"So retire the ships, the final voyage was his ..."

Quote by kaktusnpoop (on Norma Jean)
I think they use Botch guitars tuned to drop Botch.
cloudnine
UG Senior Member
31 IQ
He probably feels stupid because he didn't bother to actually PLAY his strat before he bought it and got a lemon.
Gear:
2004 Gibson Explorer '76 Reissue
Ears
Fingers
no offense
Stevie Ray Vaughanabee
127 IQ
ok thanks guys. i was actually planning on buying the guitar online. but from the way you guys talk i should go to a shop. so thats what im gonna do. i didnt really like strats before but people here have kinda convinced me to lean that way now. thanks everyone
dont judge a guy by the guitar he plays, but how he plays it
Revan
Str4t phr33k
502 IQ
^^ you are very welcome, and welcome to the strat owners of.... umnmm .... places....
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Gn'R_Fan101
Appetite for Destruction
10 IQ
teles are good for just simple chords and basic lead while strats are better for complicated chords and more advanced lead but really it comes down to the player and how they play i have played both and would prefer a strat but teles also are good guitars but personalyy i would settle for a nice 77 vintage fender strat
Darrel "Dimebag" Abbot
'66-'04
He came to rock...
...AND HE ****ING ROCKED LIKE NO OTHER!!!
rhcp_guitarist
431 IQ
strat > tele anyday!
sound, look, and feel better to play. Tekles have no contours and their jus tso uncomfortable loL!
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
I think both are excellent guitars. If you're gonna distort, though, I reccomend the Strat HSS or HH.
HomerHitter
UG Board King
804 IQ
In my opionion, Telecasters are ugly as hell...

I have a Strat and I love it
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
angusyoungwanab
UG's Personal Diabetic
238 IQ
Originally posted by Gn'R_Fan101
teles are good for just simple chords and basic lead while strats are better for complicated chords and more advanced lead...

are you serious? not trying to attack you, but you can play metal on a stock tele if you wanted to. hopefully you have a noise gate, since the gain would make the pups feedback. i jam to incubus, unwritten law, alice in chains, etc. what im getting at is that a tele can be used just as well as a strat. i dunno, i just hate it when people look at my tele at a show and snicker/give me dirty looks cuz it looks weird, doesnt have a humbucker, isnt a HSS strat/Gibson. then they come afterwards and say they loved the sound I produced with it. sorry i just gotta protect my tele and its reputation.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
nonickname
UG's Ass-Ass-In
109 IQ
i have both and thier both good,
mexican tele
japan strat 60's reissue
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Leno
UG Newbie
276 IQ
if i had the choice, i'd go with the tele, only because playing metal on a tele would look coooooooool