Page 2 of 7
I liked the green and blue finish.

Oh well, your guitar anyways.

As for the SC, I really liked the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot's the most, but they're a bit more expensive than the Lace's.
Hah! I forgot to mention that I am back to the blue and green finish. Assuming the mahagony is a nice color, I'll leave the back with a natural finish - just the gloss clearcoat. That'll save me some trouble and the price of the dye.

YES! As I was typing this, I found out Warmoth has shipped the stuff. Should be here soon. Unfortunatly, they use UPS though, so I'll have to pray it gets to me in one piece.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
This is my first batch, but it's from Warmoth. And it's not that I have specific issues with UPS, but FedEx always gets stuff to me faster and in better shape.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Ok, slight problem. I went to order the stuff from Reranch, and every time I try to go and add more to my cart, it gets rid of the stuff that was in it before. Am I doing something wrong or does their site just not work? If I can't figure it out, I'll have to call in the order.

The stuff from Warmoth is on the truck as I type!

I bought some car paint to use for my name on the headstock, but I can't figure out what's in it (doesn't say on the package). Will it stay on alright even though I'm not clearcoating the neck?

^ if its just on teh headstock it wont see much wear at all, so youre probably alright.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
It's here and everything's gorgeous. The back will deffinatly be left natural, top will deffinatly be the original color scheme. I'll hopefully have some pictures up tomorrow or the next day, although they may well be low quality. I promise the glam shots of the finished project will be nice and clear though - you 56kers are going to hate me.

How many ounces of nitro laquer should I expect to need?

Pictures didn't come out well. If I have a few moments, I'll try to upload them anyway.

I went ahead and ordered the finishing stuff from stemac since I couldn't get through to reranch. It was more expensive, but they had some polishing stuff that reranch didn't have anyway. I went ahead and bought four 13-ounce cans of laquer just to be safe (stewmac suggested 4-6, but I'm not doing the neck).

I don't have time to do the pictures tonight anyway, so tomorrow or thursday I'll try to get some real pictures up. How does 6 megapixle sound to everyone?

I appologize again for the lack of pictures. I'll likely have a bunch up at once, but I don't know when I'll be able to.

I have the neck ready to screen print my name onto using silver paint. It should look cool. There are some grain lines in the headstock so I'll spray it with a couple coats of sanding sealer first.

I stained the top of the body black and I'm about to sand it off. It looks incredable! One QUESTION though: When I sand off the black, I assume I sand with the grain. Does that mean with the actual grain (neck to bridge side) or the flame pattern (bass to treble side)?

Originally posted by mnbaseball91
I appologize again for the lack of pictures. I'll likely have a bunch up at once, but I don't know when I'll be able to.

I have the neck ready to screen print my name onto using silver paint. It should look cool. There are some grain lines in the headstock so I'll spray it with a couple coats of sanding sealer first.

I stained the top of the body black and I'm about to sand it off. It looks incredable! One QUESTION though: When I sand off the black, I assume I sand with the grain. Does that mean with the actual grain (neck to bridge side) or the flame pattern (bass to treble side)?

No, sand against the grain(neck to bridge).Screen Print? Whats that? Never heard of it, and its usually done with trans. film paper.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I would think you would sand with the flame side to side, but if you are using very fine grit sand paper, I wouldn't think it would matter.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
I'm using 220. I'll check up on which direction to sand. If anyone disagrees with AlGeeEater, you've got about three minutes to tell me.

Just a progress update:

The front is stained, it's truly awesome. The back has been grainfilled. I deliberatly bought dark grain filler and it looks really cool. I was able to clean up the binding line with some careful sanding and that looks great too.

I tried unsuccessfully several times to screen print my name on the headstock. At one point, I had primer all over the neck. Luckily, it came off easily with some laquer thinner. A side effect of the laquer thinner was that it disolved the sanding sealer it touched, meaning I had a big discolored blob on the headstock. Rather than trying to touch it up, I went ahead and sprayed a couple coats of laquer on the headstock (after I had carefully painted my name on in silver paint). It ended up looking better than it started.

Tomorrow the tuners go on, and then I have to wait several days before doing anything else so the body can dry out.

I've been taking pictures as I go along, so at the end of the project I should be able to upload them all.

Gah. . .pictures now!

Please?

You should put LED's under the pups, so there's like an aura around them.
^If I was a wiring genious and if I wasn't already several hundred dollars over budget, maybe I would.

Mascot: I've thought about the LED idea and it's starting to appeal to me. I talked to one of my teachers about it and he drew up a sloppy schematic for me. Even if I was more profficient at reading schematics, I doubt I could make any sense out of it because it's so messy. From what I gather though, I'd need:
a 9 volt battery and connector thing
a 12 ohm resistor (not sure why, but that's what he said)
a string of LEDs that won't get fried at 9 volts
a push-pull pot since I don't have space for another switch.

Can anyone elaborate on how I'd do it? Would I be able to get all the stuff at radioshack?

Most likely. I haven't looked at any schematics for it YET, but from what I imagine, it should be fairly easy. You do need the 9V battery for the power source.

Call me crazy, but this might work. http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=20

You could put that under the pup, even though its a footpedal switch, and apply the external 9V to it. When you push the pup down, it lights up. Bah, probably too hard to do, but that would kick so much ass.
^I don't get it. Does it light up blue when you push down on it? That might actually be cool. Would I be able to run two of those off a single 9 volt battery?

Hmm, okay, think of the switches on pedals. You see how when you step on it, the LED at the top of the pedal lights up? Now imagine the switch under your pup. When you press the pup down, the LED (s) under the pup will light up ( although no effects will come in ). Get it? Although I don't know if you can adjust the pressure it takes to activate the switch. If not, then you might have to press pretty hard to activate the LED's, and the switch might screw up the grounding and whatever, but it is from an external source, so probably not.

Look at me ramble on. . .
I see how it works. I'm not sure I want to be pushing on the pickups though. I'll see what I feel like when I'm done laquering. This afternoon I'll finish up with the sanding sealer (trying to empy out the whole can).

Also, when I got the body from Warmoth, there was a wire looped through two of the tunnels going out of the control cavity. I just assumed they used it for measuring or something. I went to pull it out before I began spraying and realized it was attatched to something on one end. I also realized there were four tunnels from the cavity but only three pickup routs (and the wire goes through the fourth). It's going in the direction of the bridge - is it safe to assume it's a ground wire?

^ where does it go? im confised by your description. if its goes into the body, then itll most probably be a ground wire, but it could be used to hang the guitar when painting it (if its finished). a pic would help a lot BTW.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

It goes into the body in the direction of the bridge studs. I don't know what it could be other than a ground wire.

Speaking of pictures, I'm about to try to upload some to photobucket. Brace yourselves...

I'm excited. I love these things.

I don't really see you hanging the guitar from the routing area, as I would imagine it might not balance too well, but I guess it's fine when there's no neck.

As for the pup>LED idea, I agree since pushing on the pups isn't that convinient. I'm just trying to suggest clever ways to turn the LEDs on, instead of a boring switch next to the knobs or something. I guess if not the push-pup idea, the other choice would be a push-pull pot, although I don't know if you could put a external LED and battery source to a push-pull pot. It would probably affect the circuitry of the pups too.

Anyone got any ideas aside from a on-off switch? On-off just seems so. . .uncustomized to me.
PICTURES! (I hope someone other than Mascot actually sees these!)

After pre-dying the top black (it looked much better in reality):

After sanding off the black:

After rubbing on green dye:

After rubbing on blue dye (scarry moment):

The back after applying grain filler:

The neck before alteration:

The body after sanding down the grain filler:

Everything laid out:

The headstock after attempting to screen print my signature onto it. The paint I used actually melted through the screen, so I used some laquer thinner to clean it up. As you can see, the laquer thinner did what it was supposed to do - resulting in a discolored splotch where it removed some of the sanding sealer:

The screen I used:

The headstock after I fixed everything up and sprayed a couple coatsof laquer:

Attempting to get the pickups attached to the mounting rings:

---------------------------------------------------------

I just finished spraying the first coat of laquer on the body. It really deepens the color.

That looks really nice!!

I like the color.. that's a beaut... and pictures are always good.
haha
Wow, you did a great job on the finish, and the headstock turned out suprisingly good, wasn't looking good at first sight of the headstock.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Thanks all.

I just checked on the body. I know I said before that the laquer deepened the color, but it's getting even better as it dries.

Looks great. You do really clean work. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it dries.
Not taking any online orders.
Holy crap that looks so nice. After you finish it, it'll look even better, when it's in the light and and shiny and whatnot.

That first picture scared me, because it looked horrible.

Then I looked at the others ones and I've always loved bursted flamed tops. As far as they headstock, could you make it more clean-cut? It just looks really messy and doesn't seem to look that great.

So, give us an update. Did you go with the Lace Sensor, Alnico II, and Super Distortion? Or did you change in the middle? I don't remember you saying any changes, although I could be wrong.

I think I would've liked to see the same finish on the headstock as the body, but that's just me.

Great work!
****in sweet dude. i lov eit, the burst looks good, but it could be a tad smoother imo. dont like the headstock name either, its to bulky.

but i like it in general
wow thats awsome good work!!
Originally posted by Generalpwnt
It would be so cool if u drilled a hole right thru the center of ur guitar.

Looking for people to record sound clips for UG, click here if interested...
very nice. very nice indeed.